HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Good News On My Muga (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35421)

CindyE 09-05-2008 08:08 PM

Good News On My Muga

I just had my first MUGA scan since I had my baseline one done in May. My first MUGA score was 55 which to me seemed low and worried me so naturally I was concerned what this first scan would be after having Herceptin for 4 months. Well I was thrilled to get my report that it was 61.9. I was told that either my first one was just low or off a bit. Either way my Onc Dr says, I'm doing fine on Herceptin and tolerating it well. This news was such a relief for me and answered prayer. Now I can focus on my radiation which began last week and not worry about my heart function with Herceptin. Just wanted to share with you all my joy!

juanita 09-06-2008 08:16 AM

Several of my mugas were higher than the last. Good news though!

Jackie07 09-06-2008 10:37 AM

Great news! Is there any secret you can share? Did you exercise more? I wonder if getting rid of the cancer has anything to do with it.

I am very nervous about recurrence since my MUGA has been decreasing below the acceptable level and I don't know what the doctor can do if my cancer recurs again.

CindyE 09-06-2008 11:06 AM

Jackie,
I have no secrets really to share. I have been trying to eat right and exercise a bit but nothing really special. I do think stress may have made my baseline score low or maybe the cancer being gone has helped too. Prayer could be a factor too. Best wishes to you on your next MUGA.

swimangel72 09-07-2008 10:02 AM

Great Muga score - you must feel relieved! My first muga was 67, but after switching onc's, I'm clueless - because the new onc uses echocardiograms (just had one last week). The technician said everything was fine - but I'll see what the onc says. I FEEL fine so I'm not really worried. And prayer really DOES help me tons too!

juanita 09-07-2008 04:32 PM

the only thing i added was coq10 after seeing someone else on here talking about it.

Laurel 01-18-2009 07:03 PM

helpful supplements

I have been doing some research on congestive heart failure which is what they are looking for with our mugas or echos. The injection fraction, your muga number, indicates how well your heart is pumping blood. Some naturalpathy therapies you can take to assist your heart are as follows:

CoQ10 100-300mg daily
L-Carnitine-- 1 to 3 gms daily
Taurine-- 2-3 gms daily
Vitamin C-- 1000mg daily
Vitamin E--800 IU daily
Alpha-lipoic acid -- 150mg daily
Fish Oil (super EPA) -- 700-1400mg EPA and 500-100mg of DHA

I purchase my supplements from:

www.SwansonVitamins.com

I hope this is helpful to anyone struggling with declining mugas/echos. I had ACTH and worry about the Adriamycin's effect on my heart which may not present as a problem for 15-20 yrs from now. Of course, to be here 15-20 yrs from now is a good thing! Naturally, with 7 more months of Herceptin I am concerned I may not be able to keep up my ejection fraction, so I just upped my CoQ10 to 200my daily and added the Taurine and Vitamin C to the above list which I have been taking. So far, so good!

ElaineM 01-18-2009 09:59 PM

Good news on my muga scan

great news. congratulations !!