HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sugar and cancer.... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38291)

Jean 03-06-2009 12:50 PM

Sugar and cancer....

Sugar intake and cancer...is it an old wives tale?
Steph wisely mentioned this in one of her posts...and there is a connection of simple sugars...I thought I would post the following as a good read for all.

I sure miss my tootie roll pops and a few other items.
But I do sneak one in now and then...:)

Hugs,
Jean

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/brea...t-cancer-risk/

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Cancer...eed-Cancer.htm

ElaineM 03-06-2009 01:58 PM

Sugar and cancer

This makes sense, especially when we think about how a PET scan works.
A glucose (sugar) based radioactive solution is injected.
The cancer is wherever that ends up.

PinkGirl 03-06-2009 02:00 PM

I'm in trouble.

Mary Anne in TX 03-06-2009 02:25 PM

I think that means they can track us wherever we go to eat sugar! Ugh!

rondo 03-06-2009 02:50 PM

Even if reducing sugar intake doesn't help with the cancer, I sure feel a LOT better and I lost 25 lbs. since cutting way back on the refined sugar.That alone makes it worth it!

tricia keegan 03-06-2009 03:58 PM

Here's another one in trouble Pinkgirl!

lizm100 03-06-2009 05:46 PM

I'm in trouble when it comes to chocolate and I'm trying to switch to all dark chocolate but milk chocolate is hard to let go of since it definitely is sweet.

I agree with this theory 100% but some doctors don't. I've come across soooo many articles that support this theory even at the doctor's office (usually in cancer magazines). As Elaine said it makes alot of sense, look what happens in a PET scan.
Whoever thought of using a sugar/glucose based solution in a PET scan must have already known this...right?

Debbie L. 03-06-2009 06:09 PM

but wait - read the links

It's not as simple as "sugar feeds cancer". It's more about excess insulin, which results from too much sugar and other simple carbs. And in this regard, simple carbs are like sugar - even if they're not sweet. I've read that if you're going to eat that wonder bread or sugary donut, it might help a little to ingest some protein along with it, to prolong the digestion so it's not all of it at once. But I don't know if that really helps.

There are minor links between diabetes and increased risk of cancer and of recurrence, and this insulin resistance/overproduction in response to massive boluses of simple carbs is probably at least a part of that. Some studies show this, others do not. So it's far from a sure thing, whether you look at it as someone who limits carbs or someone who seizes them (life is short, right?). So I wouldn't get too stressed about it either way.

Having said that, I will admit to being a carb control person, from way before diagnosis, and way before it was in style. Mostly because I feel better when I eat low carb. I have lowered my level of vigilance/rigidity in the last several years, though. Like I said - life is short. Sometimes I need the indulgence more than I need the illusion of control, I guess.

Debbie Laxague

sassy 03-06-2009 06:51 PM

Do they have a 12 step program for sugar?

ElaineM 03-07-2009 08:54 PM

Sugar and cancer

Love your post Sassy !!
I guess there isn't one way that fits everyone.
I went pretty much cold turkey, except for special occassions like birthday parties after I found out sugar (glucose) can contribute to cancer. I decided giving up cookies etc. was okay since I will get to live longer.

BonnieR 03-07-2009 10:37 PM

Sassy, "my name's Bonnie and I'm a Sugarholic"!

Lien 03-08-2009 03:52 AM

I have been struggling with hypoglycaemia since I was 25. Have been avoiding sugar and simple carbs since then. I'm also very allergic to many unhealthy foods, so I've been on a diet that's supposed to prevent developing cancer. My bc was found when I was 44.

I'm not saying sugar doesn't play a part, but it's certainly not the only thing.

Jacqueline

Lien 03-08-2009 03:55 AM

Rereading my last post, I see it might be misinterpreted. I don't eat red meat, simple carbs, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Very little alcohol, very few fried foods. Lots of olive oil. Not because I wanted to avoid getting cancer, but because I had severe allergy symptoms and just couldn't function. It's a lot easier to avoid sugar if it makes you feel horrible within half an hour.
Jacqueline

Henny 03-08-2009 12:55 PM

Well if sugar fueled cancer then wouldn't all the sugar addicts have it?
But being just a little superstitious I'm trying to get refined sugar and flour out of my diet as much as possible and am learning to cook and eat a mediterranean diet

SoCalGal 03-08-2009 02:20 PM

hmmmm...

Regarding sugar and Pet scans...PET scans work by imaging highly metabolic areas of activity.

(You eat a no carb/hi-protein diet, go to the scan appt. w/a 12 hour fast and then they give you a sugar isotope injection. After waiting an hour for the isotope to disperse you are scanned.)

The PET scan shows the sugary-isotope being used by the most active (rapidly dividing) cells. The other things that are visualized are normal metabolic activity like your kidneys functioning.

To me, this does not prove that cancer "likes" sugar. It only proves that cancer rapidly divides. That is how traditional chemo works - killing rapidly dividing cells. (Other rapidly dividing cells are hair, nails, gastro track, mucus membranes, etc, which is why side-effects are seen (bald) or felt (mouth sores, nausea) in these places).

When I think of all the junk food eaters out there, and all the kids and people who live on candy and sugar I know that it takes more than just sugar or the whole world would be cancer-ish.

ME: I don't eat wheat. I don't eat dairy. I only eat organic. And once in a while I eat some mike and ikes or some toasted marshmallows. I hope it's not making me worse. I know many who have given up sugar and still have cancer. Am I completely wrong in my thinking?

Thanks for this thread. I am curious if I MUST give up my occasional Soy Ice cream and honey on my gluten free waffles : (

SoCalGal 03-08-2009 02:22 PM

Just re-read Debbie's post and I have to say this sums it up for me and the treats : )

"...life is short. Sometimes I need the indulgence more than I need the illusion of control, I guess." --Debbie Laxague

Lien 03-08-2009 02:27 PM

I agree with Debbie. Like I said; I've been on a sugarfree diet for decades and still developed cancer. My sister lived on sugary foods for decades and she's the only one in our family who hasn't had cancer. (Mom, Dad, 2 uncles, cousin and me all had some form of cancer)

Indulge yourself. You need it right now!

Hugs

Jacqueline

suzan w 03-08-2009 05:39 PM

From the time I was 20 until I turned 50 I lived with and cooked for 3 diabetics (2 sons, diagnosed at ages 2 1/2 and 8) and their dad. Low carbs, no sugar , organic, grew our own food,etc. At age 53 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The first person in my family to get ANY kind of cancer. And now I am developing diabetes...go figure!

Laurel 03-08-2009 05:47 PM

Well, if sugar is deadly then I'm dead because I always say: I live in Hershey for a reason!

Yes, I do try. I fail, miserably and frequently. I need that 12 step program! My name is Laurel and I am a sugar addict....a chocoholic....a cookie monster....I think I got TMJ from tootsie rolls....

Jackie07 03-08-2009 10:44 PM

My husband carries a bag of candy just about every day. Yet I am the one that's been having cancer. He does need to watch for sugar diabetes because his Mom had it and his grandfather died of the disease in his early 60s.

Everybody metabolizes sugar (and any other type of food) differently. I guess knowing our own 'capacity' well and doing everything in moderation would be the prudent way to go.

Wasn't there a research proving 'chocolate' is good for our health? :) [I am sure it's good for our mental health as well.]