HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Omega-3 supplements. Best one? Reasonably priced? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39198)

Vic 04-28-2009 11:25 AM

Omega-3 supplements. Best one? Reasonably priced?

Hi,

I have to go to my health food store this week and the last bottle of Omega-3 I bought was by Dr. Michael Murray and it was "RxOmega-3 Factors" Omega-3 Fatty Acids 630 mg., Pharmaceutical Grade EPA 400mg/DHA 200 mg. and Fish Oil 1,065 mg (anchovy, sardine, mackerel).

Keeping this simple, do you have a favorite brand you buy?

What quantities (optimum or standard mg. to take)? I was only taking one capsule a day, although the label mentioned 1-3 per day before each meal.

I wish I could tell you the price on this, but there's no sticker. There were 120 softgels and it was by Natural Factors, Canada. If there's something better for women who've had breast cancer and who want to make the most of their omega 3 supplements, please let me know what you'd recommend. Also, is this better than taking cod liver oil? (For a while I was taking Nordical Natural (I think) cod liver oil, lemon or orange flavored.)

Thanks,

Vicki

P.S. Had sardines packed in water yesterday on crackers, so I do eat the "real" deal on occasion.

Gerri 04-28-2009 11:28 AM

I am looking for Omega-3 supplements too; especially something without the burp factor. I love fish, but not this way!!!

Shobha 04-29-2009 10:43 AM

I use the Nordic Naturals Omega-3D.

Ingredients: purified deep sea fish oil (from anchovies and sardines), vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol in sesame oil), natural lemon flavor, d-alpha tocopherol, rosemary extract

One Teaspoon Contains:
EPA: 825 mg
DHA: 550 mg
Other Omega-3s: 350 mg
Vitamin D: 1000 IU
Vitamin E: 30 IU

I too would like to know if there are other favorites??

StephN 04-29-2009 11:09 AM

Hi Vicki Z -
Good to see you again!

For fish oil, both hubby and I are taking the BARLEAN's "Fresh Catch." There is NO burp factor for either of us. It is orange flavor, but we can hardly tell that! Comes in 100 and a larger size. The 100 count bottle is under $10.00.

Serving size is 2 softgels in order to get:

EPA 360 mg
DHA 240mg
Alpha Linolenic Acid 18mg
Other Omega-3 fatty acids 162mg

Total fat - 3% daily value

We take Carlson's vitamin D plus calcium. Each softgel has 1000iu of each plus some vit E and other things.

I have been taking the Barlean's Flax Oil softgels for years now. They are organic, which is another reason I use this brand.

P.S. Forgot to mention that we eat wild Alaska salmon once a week, plus other wild fish and seafood.

MJo 04-29-2009 01:21 PM

I use the orange flavor Barleans liquid. I take a teaspoon each day. Can't swallow capsules. Didn't believe orange flavor could mask the taste of fish oil until I tried it. It's actually tasty.

Donna 05-01-2009 05:32 PM

Omegas and More

I get my omega 3's from Puritan's Pride Vitamins - I get most of my supplements there. They are very reasonably priced and in tests done by Consumer Labs this company always tested true to their labelled content.

Donna

Vic 05-04-2009 08:26 PM

Going shopping tomorrow!!

Thanks, you WONDERFUL, EXTRAORDINARY WOMEN, for your outstanding tips on this. I am going to Mother's Market tomorrow and do my shopping, because I just put my last few capsules in my weekly vitamin holder.

I'm actually going to print this out and take it with me. So, your sweet, little pictures will be with me. You're the best!!

Vicki Z.

R.B. 05-05-2009 03:50 PM

Fish oil in a bottle is the cheapest option.

This is a reputable supplier and Carlson or their in house brands are both good. Both do not taste of much and do not repeat on me.

How much is more complex but you are probably looking at 500mg of EPA and 500Mg DHA minimum.

You may find this thread interesting if you have not seen it.

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Norw...iver-Oil-Lemon

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Liquid-N...HA-Lemon/cas-1

Becky 05-05-2009 04:24 PM

The BIG question I have is how much should you take on a daily basis (even if you just want to count the mgs of DHA). If I am having wild salmon (let's say today), I don't supplement much. I supplement a bit more if it is farmed salmon. But what about other days? How much is enough and how much is too much (if you are not diligently tracking your Omega 6 intake but you are not eating alot of junk and using the right oils)?

rl2 05-05-2009 04:33 PM

I use Dr. Fuhrman's DHA Purity, derived from microalgae, it is long chain Omega-3s without the fish.

Darlene Denise 05-05-2009 07:02 PM

Okay, here's another one. I take 21st Century 1000mg fish oil capsules twice a day. They are enteric coated to reduce reflux. Herring, anchovy, mackerel, sardine, sprat and salmon. I have reflux and take Protonx and have found the enteric coating does help. I also found that if I take them in the middle of my morning and evening meals it doesn't cause any repeat. I eat a little first, take the capsule and continue my meal to push it all the way down to the stomach. This really seems to help. I hear that some folks put there's in the freezer to reduce the taste and smell. The ones I take don't have a smell.

Anyhoo, hope this is of some help. Oh, by the way, I was taken off Crestor due to my liver mets for high cholesterol and just had my lipid profile last week and all is well, so, the doc wants me to continue the fish oil.

www.21stcenturyvitamins.com

Darlene