HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Caryn's bilirubin at 15 - liver biopsy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39606)

eric 05-28-2009 03:18 AM

Caryn's bilirubin at 15 - liver biopsy

It turns out that when Caryn's bili dropped to 8 it was going up and down and we just caught at a down time. Unfortunalely it's at 15 now which is a record high for her and signifies a higher level of liver failure than previously thought. Since her tumor markers are stable they're not sure what the cause is. To finally figure it out they're going to do a liver biopsy tomorrow morning. He said that the cause could be more microscopic cancer cells (which would be horrible), one of the drugs causing inflammation in her liver, or possibly (though doubtful since it was removed weeks ago) the fat from the TPN (liquid nutrients). It's been a draining few weeks but I pray that we get some news that we can do something about.
Caryn continues to amaze me, she never complains and seems to cope with everything that comes her way although she acknowledges that she's very scared (as I am) . I wish I had better news right now.
As always, prayers are appreciated.

Eric

Believe51 05-28-2009 08:09 AM

Eric, you both continue to amaze me! I can only offer my unconditional prayers and positive healing thoughts to you both at this time. Caryn has remained deep in my heart for something that seems like a lifetime now. I am here routing for you both and look forward to these updates and pray that the next one I read is her miracle. I am still praying for her miracle and she so deserves one. I send my love to the family and hope they can find out what is happening to her. It is hard to fight when we do not know the overall mission. Love>>Believe51

Bill 05-28-2009 09:22 AM

You all have my prayers, Eric. I pray that the liver biopsy goes well and you receive answers so that you can form a plan.

Shobha 05-28-2009 10:59 AM

Eric,

I think you are both so brave. I hate what cancer does to a family - it is plain cruel.

I am praying hard for Caryn's biopsy results to be good. May God bless Caryn with his healing touch.

shobha

hutchibk 05-28-2009 11:34 AM

I second what everyone here has said. Godspeed to Caryn and Eric.

ElaineM 05-28-2009 11:49 AM

Caryn's bilirubin at 15 - liver biopsy

You both amaze me !! You are both great troopers !!!!!!! Continue to hang in there !!!!!!!!!

chrisy 05-28-2009 08:51 PM

Eric,

Well there is definitely SOMETHING going on, and the uncertainty must be so difficult to bear. Hopefully you will get some information that will be helpful in setting direction. You and Caryn are BOTH amazing, and so blessed to have each other.

You are in my prayers, all day long every day.

Much love
Chris

Carolyns 05-29-2009 06:08 AM

Eric,

I am sorry to hear this news but feel encouraged that you are moving forward with the biopsy. You, Caryn and your family remain in my prayers.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn

mmoons 05-29-2009 08:17 AM

please keep us posted

Eric-

Please let us know when you hear something...not that you need one more thing to do.

Praying so hard for both of you stong brave people!!! It is all so very scary and stressful. I hope you both can feel all the love coming your way from all of us.

Maureen

Julie2 05-29-2009 04:27 PM

Eric,

Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping for a good news.

Julie

mamacze 05-29-2009 08:22 PM

Hi Eric,
I think of you and Caryn often as you both have been such a beacon of hope for me during our journeys with this illness. I am sorry that her bilirubin is up and down; I wish I had a suggestion for you. Have you considered exploring any more clinical trials? I understand there is another great tri-vaccine trial in Baltimore that Dr. Disis from Seattle tumor vaccine group recommended to me; would you consider looking into that one; or another?
I understand that feeling of scared - I have found great comfort in this beautiful Irish poem - I am hoping it will speak to you as well.
It is called A Blessing for a Friend on the Arrival of an Illness
This is a site to hear the author read it:
http://odeo.com/episodes/22146100-SO...val-of-Illness
Blessings and hope and prayers for you both.
Love Kim from CT

caya 05-30-2009 11:28 AM

Sending my prayers to Caryn and Eric, and their family.

all the best
caya/Caryn

Yorkiegirl 05-30-2009 07:32 PM

Eric and Caryn you both remain in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

CindyE 05-30-2009 09:43 PM

Eric,
I continue to pray for Caryn and you each day. Take strength in the knowledge that so many are praying for your both. God bless and take care.

WomanofSteel 05-31-2009 05:33 PM

Eric, I am praying for a miracle! Be strong!

eric 06-06-2009 10:58 PM

Well the good news is that the cancer is lessening and her liver is improving aside from the bilirubin (which is a measurement of how well the liver is working) which is now up to 17. Turns out its one of the chemo drugs thats causing the problem with her bilirubin. Unfortunately the doc thinks its the gemzar thats worked so well for caryn. His plan is a break from treatment to allow her body to recover while he formulates a plan. I'm going to bug him to make sure that he considers that the gemzar interaction with the carbo might be causing the problem. I'm not comfortable with her moving away from the gemzar since its been the most effective chemo for her to date. I'll keep you posted.

Rich66 06-07-2009 12:10 AM

I know Gemzar can levate LDFT but if a break is needed, woudl Xeloda (or S-1), another antimetabolite, be worthy of consideration?

eric 06-07-2009 09:02 AM

Thats an excellent suggestion Rich. Unfortunately Xeloda did nothing for her when she tried it with Tykerb but I'll take a look at S-1 (never heard of it). Thanks!

WomanofSteel 06-07-2009 09:28 AM

Great news on the cancer. Hopefully they will get the rest figured out.

Rich66 06-07-2009 09:30 AM

Although around a long time in Japan, S-1 or TS-1 seems to be available only in study. Maybe in CT:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...&highlight=S-1
Maybe there are other antimetabolites to consider: Ixempra, Methotrexate

Even so..if Gemzar, not the cancer is elevating the LFT, that might suggest continuing it showing other signs of working.