HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Joint pain with Taxol, Carbo/Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18058)

Sandy 12-26-2003 08:28 AM

I know there are several out there on this treatment and am wondering how you are managing the joint pain? I will be starting this on Tuesday and doing it weekly. The doctor says I shouldn't loose my hair and the nurse says I will. I have my wigs ready just in case. I may go get my hair cut short. I have had my hair since last March so here we go again. My concerns are joint pain and neuropathy of hands and feet and chemo brain. I was on Taxol before and it got really bad by my 5th treatment never did do the 6 one. I will only have the steriods a couple of times then will stop them so that is one less thing I will have. Hugs, Sandy

Linda in Calif. 12-26-2003 12:08 PM

Hi Sandy: I was on Taxol/Herceptin and suffered with significant joint pain. I know it doesn't sound like much but a couple of Ibuprofin really helped out. I started experiencing numbness in my fingers and feet from the first treatment. It got to where I had some difficulty doing the buttons on my clothes but I just compensated for things. I held things carefully so I wouldn't drop them and moved a little slower than usual.
I had 4 treatments ending in Dec. of 2002 and just recently my feet are back to normal. The feeling in my hands came back faster than my feet...they only took about 5 months to be back to normal. I had lost my hair doing the A/C portion of my treatment before the Taxol so I can't say for sure about hair growth. I certainly didn't start to grow any hair during my Taxol treatment. My hair is about 6 inches long, now. That took about a year to grow. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us all updated. Take Care, Linda

Linda in MI. 12-26-2003 02:22 PM

Sandy,

Try taking 200 mg. of vitamin B6 for the neuropathy. ALso, I put glutamine powder in my protein drinks which should help too, as well as help with stomach problems and nausea.

Hope this helps.

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

Lolly 12-27-2003 08:30 AM

Sandy, I took extra B vitamins while on Taxol, and also my onc prescribed Neurontin, which I would start as soon as I got home from a treatment, and would continue with for up to a week after, along with Tylenol if necessary. It's been almost 4 years, and the only residual effects seem to be occasional slight numbness in the ends of my index fingers and thumbs, and occasional muscle cramps in my feet and calves.
Don't know if I would have had these anyway, but thought I'd pass this on as I seem to remember some of the others have taken Neurontin also.
hugs,
Lolly

Priscilla 12-28-2003 07:37 AM

Dear Sandy: I hesitate to offer this advise because so many do not understand it or how it works, but coffee enemas can really help a lot of pain by helping your body to eleminate toxins through the bile ducts before they do too much damage to your body. You must balance them with Juices to keep your electrolites in balance. You can go to www.gerson.org for more info or work with a doctor that uses these type therapies. The coffee enemas really work for me.

Lindaw 01-03-2004 05:48 AM

Dear Linda
what sort of stomach problems did you have?

Lindaw