HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My 2 year run is over (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53273)

Emelie B 02-23-2012 10:08 AM

My 2 year run is over

Hello ladies,
Well, I knew this day was coming but it is still hard to accept. Met with onc yesterday after I insisted I get a PET and it is back in my lungs and a portion of my liver. I also am having rib pain in the lower back. Onc wants to do biopsies if possible. I am not sure I want to.
Can anyone tell me what their experience has been having mets biopsied?
Thanks for any help as I am struggling with this decision.
Emelie

Sheila 02-23-2012 10:58 AM

Re: My 2 year run is over

Emelie
I am so sorry about the PET...again, good thing you insisted on it.....I am curious, maybe they want biopsies to confirm that the cancer has the same characteristics... I know Chris just underwent a liver biopsy....so many times it seems the makeup of the tumor is different than the original, requiring a different approach....sending prayers and love that you will soon have answers and a plan in place....stay strong, stay positive and know we are all with you in this new journey.

michka 02-23-2012 11:18 AM

Oh Emilie. Just after I posted I read your message. I had hoped you were on the good road now. I was almost sure. Now you are back at the drawing board like me. Nobody wants a biopsy but we know now that 30% of the tumors change. So if a biopsy can be done, it can be interesting. I don't know what I would do myself to tell the truth. I am sending hugs. Michka

ElaineM 02-23-2012 11:48 AM

I am very sorry to read your news. I tend to agree with Sheila and your oncologist. Sometimes the characteristics of tumors change.
I wonder if your oncologist can also set up some chemo sensitivity testing after the biopsy to see what kind of chemo would work the best?
Take good care of yourself. Stay positive.

Shobha 02-23-2012 12:08 PM

I am adding my prayers for you, Emilie. May you soon find the right course and win this battle.

hugs,
shobha

Becky 02-23-2012 01:38 PM

Dear Emelie

I am sorry about your PET scan news. I think if your tumor(s) can be biopsied, they should be just in case your cancer is now hormone positive because that brings more weapons to the battle. I am thinking about you.

greenacres 02-23-2012 02:38 PM

I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sandra

Mandamoo 02-23-2012 03:08 PM

I am sorry to hear your news.
I hada a lung biopsy last week - still waiting for results - we want to confirm that the cancer has same characteristics and that we are treating it optimally. Unfortunately we didn't get enough tissue for more than the standard testing.
Wishin you the. Best for your new treatment plan.
Amanda

Joan M 02-23-2012 06:51 PM

Emelie,

Not the news any of us mets ladies want to hear. But once you get this under control, you will have another run.

I had a lung biopsy. They went in through my back. I was awake in a CT scanner, which is how the interventional radiologist finds the nodule. I coughed up blood during the procedure and was very happy to have first read about that possibility (it doesn't always happen). Otherwise, it would have really frightened me. A slight tickle and then a small cough. I knew what was coming, so it was okay.

Joan

caya 02-23-2012 07:29 PM

Emelie, please know that I am thinking of you, sending big hugs from Canada.

all the best
caya

Mary Anne in TX 02-23-2012 07:38 PM

Emelie, just want to send you love and very positive thoughts for your decision and new battle ahead. ma

chrisy 02-23-2012 09:08 PM

Dear emelie,
Although a biopsy is not fun, in the long run it is important to know what you are dealing with. Tumor biology can change, and is the key to finding the best treatment options.

I've had 3 biopsies of my liver, once when first dx with meta (in part because they couldn't believe it was from the "cured" DCIS. Then one last summer to be sure we still knew the her2 and ER/PR status. And one in December which was required as part of a clinical trial.

It is an outpatient procedure. The first two went without hitches, uncomfortable but doable, and I was up and about feeling pretty much back to normal in a day or so. I had some complications with the last one (some bleeding - a perfect storm of low platelets, vascular tumor and large bore needle!) which won me a night in a luxury room with views of SF bay and bridge while being "observed" as a precaution, but was still up and recovered similarly to the other two. Not trying to scare you off, its a small risk, the radiologist hadnt ever had that happen and he was royally p.o.'d, That was the "small risk" thing, guess it was just my turn!

Anyway, I do think it's worth it to get whatever info you can, the better to choose weapons my dear!

Hang in there.
Chris

JennyB 02-23-2012 11:53 PM

So sorry to hear Emelie, here's hoping the biopsy will suitably arm you for the next round!!

Jenny xx

KsGal 02-24-2012 12:50 AM

Im so sorry to hear your news. I, too, had a liver biopsy a couple months ago. I was awake, and in a CT machine when they did it. They gave me some medication to help relax me before, and they inject you with the numbing medication before the actual biopsy; however, it still was a bit uncomfortable just for a minute. Then I had to lay on my stomach for four hours in a hospital room before they allowed me to go home. I was sore for a couple days, I think, but was up and around and feeling okay. I went back to work the next day...I feel that it is important to get the biopsies done because, as everyone else said, these tumors change characteristics, and you want to be able to get the most effective treatment.

Bunty 02-24-2012 04:30 AM

Emelie, sorry to hear your news. The waiting for scan results is never easy, whatever the outcome. All the best for whatever you decide re the biopsies.
Marie x

Emelie B 02-24-2012 08:12 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and advice. I am waiting to hear if the sites can be accessed and wish we could move a little faster.
My husband and I have been planning a trip to Paris in May to visit our lovely daughter who moved there in Oct. She is in this picture. I just need to feel a little bit better so I can make this trip. Fingers crossed and I know I have to keep moving forward one foot at a time.
I will keep you all updated as to the treatment plan etc. for anyone else who has similar situation.
Thank you again and have a good weekend all.
Emelie

karen z 02-24-2012 08:45 AM

Emelie,
Sorry to hear your news but sending you good thoughts and wishes- and strength! Please keep us posted.

Elizabethtx 02-24-2012 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear your news. I know it is discouraging! Take care and I will send up prayers for you.

Pray 02-26-2012 12:44 AM

Emelie, I too extend my prayers to you. How wonderful for you to visit your daughter at this time. Gods blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Nancy

Mandamoo 02-28-2012 04:07 AM

Hi again Emilie
I just thought I would let you know that I saw my oncologist today and got my biopsy results back - unfortunately they "missed" - muscle and normal tissue - they were sure they got the lesion at the time. My larger lung mets are about 11mm and we re trying to get one close to the outer part of the lung as there is less risk of pneumothorax.
I am terribly disappointed but have spoken to a friend tonight who is an interventional radiologist - we are going to try again after my next scan. I really want some tissue as the preliminary results of testing on my initial tumor tissue show that the cancer was resistant to anthracylcines and taxotere - hence progression on adjuvant therapy. As metastatic sites can be different I am keen to know that we are using the best treatments that we can.

I wish you the very best and feel you will have a treatment plan in place very sooner and on your way back to NED.
Amanda x