HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   $$ For Stage IV Sisters (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55581)

Mtngrl 08-21-2012 09:04 PM

$$ For Stage IV Sisters

I was told last year when I was diagnosed that being Stage IV qualifies me for Social Security Disability. For some reason, it took over a year for that to sink in.

I've been paying in to Social Security since I was 16 years old. I guess I thought I'd have to prove I'm actually disabled, and I'm not. I feel fine.

It finally dawned on me that I might as well apply. It's pretty easy to get it started online. I did that on July 24. Unfortunately, I didn't notice two things. One is that there's a separate disability report (or whatever they call it) that I should have filled out online. The other is that my local social security office needs a hard copy of the application, with a "wet" signature from me and from a witness.

But no worries. I was able to do that in person at the social security office. Then I found out that my benefits might be back dated to my date of diagnosis. That will be a pretty big lump sum.

You don't have to actually be disabled. In my in-person meeting, the bureaucrat asked me to confirm the basis for my claim. I said "Stage IV breast cancer. " He said, "Is that all?" I said, "That's enough. It's terminal." He didn't bat an eye. THAT was weird. But OK. If I had his job I might have to turn off my empathy too. I bet he hears all kinds of tales of woe.

Oh--the other thing I learned is, don't try to bring your knitting into a building with a Social Security office in it. They won't let you take it in, nor will they hold it for you. I had to go to the bus station and check it with the nice folks at Greyhound. An hour round trip on the subway. And $5. Oh well.

Jackie07 08-22-2012 12:28 AM

Re: $$ For Stage IV Sisters

Amy,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

About the knitting - I guess any sharp object has the potential of becoming a 'weapon'... And the rolls of yarn can have grenades hidden inside? And the office is technically considered a Federal building... It's interesting that the Greyhound staff did not think it's a problem. (I'd bet that's not the first five dollars they'd earned from holding knitting [or other type of] bags for their riders.)

Redwolf8812 08-22-2012 04:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Amy! I've been struggling with this myself. I don't always feel disabled. Most days I enjoy going to work. But the days when I don't feel well really take their toll on me, physically and emotionally. I'm burning through my sick time. My husband tells me not to worry about the money, but really, who ever takes that advice? My job allowed me to adjust my hours so I can put my 8-year-old on the bus in the am, instead of having to put her in before-care at school. My co-workers are great, but when I stay home, I feel so much more relaxed. I know I should bite the bullet, quit whining, and put myself out on disability. I could probably put up a better fight against the stupid cancer.

Oh yeah, and then there's the "advance benefits" I could get from my life insurance, if me and my doctor are willing to say I have less than 6 months to live. The nurse said they'd do it, even though they feel I "probably" have more than 6 months (I was told just don't ask them to commit to saying I have more than 2 years. Gee thanks, I didn't ask THAT), but I'm not comfortable with lying about something so serious.

Blah blah blah. The rantings of a crazed stage 4 breast cancer patient....

Sheila 08-22-2012 06:56 AM

Stage IV diagnosis automatically makes you eligible....it's like step,to the head of the line eligible...(just another benefit of the big "c")

Also,you can earn up to $1000.00 per month and still get your SSD benefits, it is called ticket to work. it used to be 980.00 but I believe
it has been increased. You can not go over that limit or you lose your SSD benefit that month. Nice that if feeling up to it, one could still work part time. Just a FYI for those on or thinking of applying. I have been on SSD since 2003 and never had my case reviewed, which is nice....we don't need that stress!

hutchibk 08-22-2012 10:00 AM

Yep... you have paid in. (I never wanted to take any hand-outs or anything away from seniors... until I realized I had spent a lifetime paying in exactly for this type of thing and was only receiving what had been taken out of paychecks, not a handout at all...).

As well, you ARE considered having a disibility. Disability doesn't necessarily mean you are blind or in a wheel chair. Many disabilities are not seen, like stage IV cancer. It means a disadvantage or handicap, too, which we stage IVers have.

karen z 08-22-2012 10:27 AM

Thanks very posting. Very useful information for everyone to know.
KZ

StephN 08-22-2012 12:27 PM

Dear Amy -

Yes, they do make it easier to start the process online, and I had to make only one trip to the office for a face to face and take them some proof of ID.

I have been on disability income since July of 2005. I had been stage IV since Jan 2002, but finally applied after my brain mets. (I did get a bit of sympathy when the interviewer heard that!) And I had my first payment into my account the very next month.

That is now over five years and like Sheila have never had a review, which I was told at the time would be every 5 years. (Who knows what will be in my mail box today?)

The amount I get is not the same as a salary, but if a person can work part time, it may be enough to keep your insurance.

You need to be aware that there is a lapse of time for getting Medicare early (if you are under the age) once you get disability. Two years in my case, and maybe that has changed I don't know.

We just had to fork out the big bucks to keep my health plan during the waiting time, during which the gov. stats probably say a person with stage IV cancer will die. New drugs = monkey wrench in that old stat!

KsGal 08-23-2012 02:10 AM

I, too, am applying in the next few weeks. I was not aware until the last few days that i could work part time AND get disability. I thought you just got the disability amount, that was it. I couldn't have got by on what I will receive, due to the fact that for a lot of years I did not work full time. :( I am truly miserable at my job, and now that I know the full story about disability, I am going to quit! Im going to get something less physically demanding part time, and maybe take some college classes and have time to do the things I can't do now because I am working 11 hours a day, and exhausted the rest of the time.

Mtngrl 08-23-2012 07:46 AM

FYI, you have to not be working when you apply.

There is still a two year period between starting SSDI and qualifying for early Medicare. (In my case it'll only be six years early.) The health care was the other reason I decided to go ahead. I am a full time student and have good coverage through school, but if I get too sick to do that, I need a Plan B. And even if I graduate on schedule, there could be a problem. I won't be quite 65 by then.

I didn't know about being able to work part-time and still get the SSDI. That could work out beautifully for me. I plan to be a part-time pastor/part-time teacher after I graduate.

As for the knitting, I don't disagree with the potential for harm with the little needles and scissors. Since you're now allowed to knit on airplanes it didn't occur to me that I might be turned away. I guess the other thing I could have done is mail it to myself. If I hadn't gotten the bus station suggestion that's probably what I would have done.

Vicki revised 08-23-2012 11:24 AM

I was told by the local office my benefits would start 5 months from the last day I worked but in fact they were retroactive to 5 months from the date of stage 4 dx. Less than 3 wks after I applied I had a direct deposit. I only had to go to the SS office once to deliver my original docs but they could have been mailed--I just wanted to know they got them. I sent all my dr notes from initial dx and the most recent.

I never had to meet with anyone or be evaluated by anyone. I sent more than they initially requested to avoid them requesting anymore docs including a voided check for the account to receive the direct deposit and my original birth cert (they returned within a week).

I retired from my state job and receive a pension check but that had no bearing on eligibility or amount of SS check and combined they equal what I brought home before I retired. Since I am only 50 and doubt I will still be around when I turn 65 or whatever age I could otherwise receive SS I am just collecting what I paid into all those years. With all my copays and other expenses related to my BC (head coverings, bras, forms, etc) we need that income.

Redwolf: I had the same work situation as you but then when I started a short honeymoon with NED, my male good old boy dept head told me I could no longer work from home despite the fact I was still recovering from surgery and on herceptin. I decided life was too short and since I became eligible to retire after 25 yrs service, I did.

PS: you can't take a cell phone that has a camera into a federal bldg and the guards won't hold it for you either so leave it in the car.

Vicki revised 08-23-2012 11:35 AM

Once you are officially disabled you can withdraw funds from an IRA or 401k without paying the early withdrawal penalty ( but it is taxable). I did that on one of my IRAs that wasn't earning much and used it to pay off a car loan that was charging more in interest that the acct was making, thus eliminating a debt we were paying on each month.

dchips1 08-23-2012 09:04 PM

I applied for social security disability after my craniotomy in 1/10. I received my first check 6 months later. the amount of the check is based on your work history. I also receive an additional amount equal to half of what I receive for my son. he is the only minor in the house of our 6 kids. So I get 2 checks every month, Mine for me and an additional check for him. He can receive checks from my social security disability till he is 18 or no longer in school. Your SS amount is taxable, not the children's. You do have to fill out a report of what you spent or saved for the kid's money once per year. So if you used that to help pay the daily expenses of raising a child, that's what you put down. Medicare kicks in 24 months after you start receiving benefits.

My husband is still actively employed and carries our primary insurance. So we have no changes in doctors, or medicines. So as long as he is actively employed medicare is secondary. When he retires then medicare is primary. I am not sure about "state aide" in your state, in Arizona there are programs that help cover the "GAP" between medicare and being on the states "medicaid, welfare" etc.

My medicare (I elected part A and Part B) No drug coverage, our private company's med coverage is excellent. So after meeting the deductible of 140.00 medicare picks up 80% of the copay. So my 30.00 copay goes down to range of 0.00-6.00, depending on the type of service.

With Medicare and stage 4 cancer once through the initial request for records, no follow up appointments, records or hassle. You can still work and make some money, and still be eligible.

I also had a term life insurance policy I had had for years before being dx with cancer, you can take what is called an accelerated death benefit with being stge 4. 75% of the value and then they keep the 25% and pay your former premium. TAX FREE MONEY. We used it to pay off 2nd mortgage, and bills. So I still have enough left over to pay final expenses.(Plus I have life insurance through my husbands work )
My Goal is to outlive the 50 grand they kept to pay my 25.00 monthly premium! That equals out to about 166.67 years!!!
So there is my 2 cents on SS disability, Sometimes yes there are those that abuse or expect handouts. But then there are the real people who sometimes need to take that step to ease "financial Stress", one less thing to worry about so you can focus on your "Battle"
Love and prayers to you
Darita