HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hello and Good News So Far (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39478)

jones7676 05-20-2009 02:58 AM

Hello and Good News So Far

Hello to all of you who have been helping me and following my challenges. You probably remember my U.P. disaster with the brain portion...IT IS DOING GOOD!

I've been so busy etc. with scans etc as you may recall and travel for treatment to my brain and I must admit kind of afraid to post here until I heard something....

I traveled to Chicago and had my MRI and met with Dr. and the 2 big mets have decreased greatly in size and they feel the Gamm Knife is a great success. The other 3 little white spots are completely gone.

What I am particularly happy about is thier knowledge of the side effects of being on the Decadron way too long..and started at too high a dose (in case you did not remember that part) they have put me on an antibiotic that I take 3 times per week until I am weaned off it.

I have been catching upper respiratory (sp?) infections over and over again and this can be one of the side effects of it and that is why they think it is happening. I get my shot after each chemo and my counts look wonderful yet I catch things. Of course, I hope they are right as you know I am also having chest mets treated..would prefer this explanation to chemo failure. But I also could have both even if it is working or not.

Also, while I am on the elimination plan for 3 weeks because it was too high a dose and so long my ole body may take up to 6 to surrender to going without it. So, anytime I am not doing well I am to call them and they will adjust it.

Thursday I find out the results of my chemo scan, of course I hope it is good....but this info also allows me to fax info to the place in Detroit that is considering me for a clinical trial and now increases my odds of qualifying for other clinical trials I may be considered for.

Since I haven't been on the site or the computer as much as I wanted, once again I will be real busy looking at what is available and where so I have my computer homework cut out for me.

I am also hoping to feel good enough to get out in the yard as it is finally spring and my friends have given me bulbs to plant to increase my hope and my labrador has turned 10 months old and she is very "energetic" about celebrating the spring weather!

I just wanted to share the positive news....with those of you who help me, encourage me, keep me hoping, and helped me make it through the portion of the winter when I was the most depressed I've ever been.

Right now at least I am winning part of the fight!

StephN 05-20-2009 03:21 AM

Dear Barb -
Wow! So happy to hear that your brain is responding well to the Gamma treatment.

The old demon decadron is the pits. Whoever gave you the too high dose should have to take it and I bet they will NEVER do that again!!! Shame on them ...

There was one time during my weaning that I got the WORST leg pains. My doctor had me back up and take a bit more before cutting again. I guess this is what they mean by "feeling bad and call them." The weaning can be a bit tricky. My other problem from taking that drug was weakness in my legs that took a lot of rehabbing to build back some strength.

Keep looking forward and watch those bulbs become flowers. Will be looking forward to further good news from you. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mary Anne in TX 05-20-2009 06:12 AM

Hi Barb!
I'm so glad to hear your good news and will continue to pray for continued success. ma

WomanofSteel 05-20-2009 07:01 AM

Barb, glad things are finally going well. I hope you have continued success with your treatment.

chrisy 05-20-2009 11:48 AM

Great news, thanks for posting. With that schedule of yours it's not surprising you don't have time to get to a computer!

schoolteacher 05-20-2009 12:18 PM

Barb,

Glad to hear from you. Hope you are feeling better.

Amelia

Joan M 05-20-2009 08:04 PM

Barb,

It's great that the Gamma Knife is shrinking those brain mets. I know you've been working hard on finding the right treatment and doing a lot of traveling and I'm glad the scan showed good results.

I had a similar experience with Decadron, which I think is responsible for the fungus/mold infection in my lung where I had the RFA. Two months after the RFA I went on the steroid for several weeks after brain surgery, and I believe that as my lung was still healing the infection took hold. It started in the cavity in my lung where the tumor was burned.

I know you've mentioned about the upper respiratory infections, and I hope weening off the Decadron will clear that up.

Joan

caya 05-20-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks for posting this good news Barb. Your positive attitude shines through your post.

Praying for more successes for you.

all the best
caya

Gerri 05-20-2009 09:32 PM

Great news Barb! So happy to hear that things are going better for you.

Keep us posted.

ElaineM 05-20-2009 09:44 PM

Hello and Good News So Far

Good news indeed !!! Keep going !!!!!!!!! Hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Shobha 05-21-2009 08:12 AM

So happy to hear your wonderful news! Keep it coming. It lifts our spirits here and gives me so much hope!

God bless you with good health and healing!

hugs,
shobha

juanita 05-21-2009 05:08 PM

adding prayers and positive thoughts from here!

Believe51 05-22-2009 09:41 AM

Awesome girl, great news for you to share with us. I am praying that the chemo works as well for you. Hang in there you big Warrior, we are right here for you. More prayers coming from Rhode Island.>>Believe51