HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Turmeric (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46448)

Mary Jo 08-20-2010 07:45 AM

Turmeric

My oncologist asked me yesterday "do you still take turmeric" and when I said I did he said "good!" Geez, when you oncologist says "good" to supplements you know you should be taking that one. Haha!

My question for you all is, how many miligrams of Turmeric do you take a day? My bottle says 900 mg. and I take 2 of those a day - 1 in the a.m. and 1 in the late afternoon.......1800 mgs. per day.

Share with me please.

Mary Jo

Mary Jo 08-20-2010 09:47 AM

Re: Turmeric

You-whoooooo!!!! Anybody?

Rich66 08-20-2010 10:00 AM

Nutrivene Longvida Curcumin
http://www.nutrivene.com/view_item.php?ProductID=331&
800-899-3413

Mom's been using this one since it seems to be more absorbable...an issue with most supplements and especially with Curcumin.

ElaineM 08-20-2010 10:42 AM

I take 300 mg of curcumin a day. I also use tumeric in my cooking daily.

tricia keegan 08-20-2010 05:05 PM

I don't take it, but will check out Rich's link and decide:)

Becky 08-20-2010 05:05 PM

I take 545mg a day. I did read somewhere that the average portion of curried chicken contains 204 mg of curcumin so i figured my pill is like eating something with curry twice a day. I take it with my evening meal (as I do my vitamin d and others) because it is best absorbed with some fat and there is more fat in the evening meal (at least for me there is).

1rarebird 08-20-2010 05:41 PM

I normally get a little over 1800 mg per day of curcumin from Swanson's Curcumin Complex 95% curcuminoids---spread out over the day at 600 mg per meal. That is the amount in line with the recommended dosing in the Edge-Cam at Nosurrenderbreastcancersurviorforum.org. But I have to temporarily stop all supplements (except for calcium and vitamin D3) in preparation for my thyroid surgery next week. I expect to resume supplements afterward.

bird

Sherryg683 08-20-2010 11:33 PM

I take 2000 mg turmeric and have been doing so since stopping chemos. I also take 600mg grape seed and 1000mg of green tea. This was what was suggested to me by a nutritionalist when I was first diagnosed. I'm too superstitious to stop it now. I do need to go out and buy my tumeric,I'm out of it...sherry

caya 08-21-2010 07:42 AM

I take one cucurmin pill - 500 mg./day with my dinner. I guess I could take another one ?

all the best
caya

Delaney 08-21-2010 08:22 AM

Anyone take it while still on chemotherapy? At stage iv I expect to be on some sort of chemotherapy indefinitely but would like to take it if I can.

Becky 08-21-2010 11:42 AM

I took 3 (each capsule is 545mg) per day when I was on the Taxol portion of my chemo because there were studies saying that taxanes and curcumin are synergistic.

I also took alot more maitake extract capsules while on Herceptin because supposedly the beta glucan in the mushroom also helps Herceptin work. Who knows for sure but I am still here.

Delaney 08-21-2010 01:26 PM

Thanks Becky, and thanks Mary Jo for the information on turmeric. None of the chemos have worked for me so far, maybe I'll get lucky with supplements. This website is great, so helpful!

Joan M 08-21-2010 03:09 PM

Thanks for this discussion on tumeric. I have both the pills and the spice. About two months ago I asked a nutritionist about the benefit of taking the pills and how much to take, and she said that is was better to add the spice to food and not take the pills. I wonder about whether doing that is actually better or if it was just her perspective of getting nutrients directly from foods and spices rather than supplements. So, she never really answered my questions about how much to take in pill form.

Joan

Becky 08-21-2010 03:37 PM

That's kinda why I only take one pill as it equals 2 servings of chicken curry. But with a taxane, they used much more to get the syngergy.

See ya soon

Rich66 08-21-2010 04:39 PM

Everything I've seen suggests the main issue is whether a formulation of Curcumin (the "active" part of turmeric) bioavailable enough to have any effect. There are researchers developing high tech versions to do this. The Nutrivene seems to me to be the closest thing to a highly absorbable OTC supplement. I don't suspect a sprinkle on a salad is doing anything beyond taste.

Laurel 08-30-2010 07:47 PM

Anyone ever try curry on eggs? Seriously, it's delicious! An MD who specializes in natural treatment told me to take as much turmeric as I could tolerate. I take several caps/day.

ElaineM 08-30-2010 08:17 PM

I sprinkle a little tumeric into vegetable omlets. It is good that way.
By the way, don't forget. Some kinds of mustard have tumeric in them. You have to look at the ingredients to make sure it is in there along with mustard seed and other ingredients.

Jean 08-30-2010 10:15 PM

I take pill form and use in my cooking. Also helps with joints (those of us on AI may be happy to know this) and the liver.

jhandley 09-02-2010 01:08 AM

Life Extension Foundation have a formulation with black pepper that is very well absorbed.
Jackie (down under)

Ellie F 09-02-2010 02:24 AM

Hi
I also took a supplement with pepper in to aid absorption and bioavailability.
Due to low platelets I had to stop taking it which is a shame but like Becky I took quite a bit when having taxotere and also increased my beta glucan intake. Who knows if it works but we have to hope!!

Ellie