HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35663)

Joe 09-19-2008 06:01 PM

San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium

The San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium is being held December 10th through 14th at the Henry Gonzalez Convention Center. www.sabcs.org

Once again the HER2 Support Group will offer a limited number of free registrations to anyone wishing to attend.

Email me if interested.

Regards
Joe

hutchibk 09-19-2008 07:05 PM

Come one come all! It's a very nice time, very informative. Joe and Chris are so wonderful to spend time with. It's where you will learn "propellerhead 101" - LOL. I am only an apprentice propellerhead, but SABCS last year is where I got my feet wet. We might even (Sheila & Chrisy back me up here...) have a Chocolate Martini or two!

Sheila 09-20-2008 07:29 AM

Brenda...right you are!!!!!

Mary Anne in TX 09-20-2008 08:23 AM

Do we come in on Wednesday? I can't wait! ma

Joe 09-25-2008 07:19 AM

The HER2 Support Group will only pay the registration, travel and loging is not included.

Many local Komen affiliates offer travel scholarships to attend these meetings. Check with yours.

Regards
Joe

Esther 09-26-2008 01:24 PM

Joe, I'd like to come to the conference this year, so I'd appreciate if you reserved a conference pass for me.

dlaxague 09-27-2008 09:26 AM

Alamo offers generous scholarships to advocates who attend SABCS:

http://alamobreastcancer.org/advocate_program.html

This is their list of qualifications:

Applicants must meet and agree to the following scholarship qualifications:

Must attend the entire conference from December 10-14, 2008 and the Pre-Meeting/Welcome Dinner on Wednesday, December 10. 2. Write a "Hot Topic" report which will be assigned to you during the conference. 3. Attend the Mentors session each evening and stay the entire time. 4. Be a Project Lead graduate OR have participated on committees, panels, or review boards related to breast cancer and/or breast cancer research. 5. Belong to an advocacy organization or represent a constituency so information can be disseminated. 6. Only applicants who have not received this scholarship within the last 5 years are eligible. 7. Be one year out of primary breast cancer treatment.

hutchibk 09-27-2008 10:06 AM

Yeah Esther! Come on down, I'd love to see you again!

Joe 09-27-2008 12:26 PM

The HER2 Support Group is sponsoring 2 advocates who are HER2 positive to participate in the Alamo Breast Cancer Foundation Program.

Money which had been donated to our organization in memory of others goes directly into this scholarship fund.

Regards
Joe

StephN 09-27-2008 01:39 PM

It can be ALL paid for!

Hi -
Been to this one twice, and once was with Esther!
Hey, girl!

Sandy H. and I got Komen travel grants one time. Sandy got hers from national HQ (in Dallas, I think), and I got mine from my local group. They send the money directly to Joe and he reimbursed us each.

I got a $1,000 grant so my room was also covered.

Give it a try! Act quickly as I don't recall the deadlines.

Esther 09-29-2008 03:05 PM

Hey Brenda! We should make plans to meet early in the conference...I love appletinis!

StephN will you be making it out this year?

I wasn't able to go last year because we took my son and stepson on a cruise to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands at that time frame. Missed out on meeting Dr. Slaman....shoot!

If he's there this year, are we likely to be able to say hello to him?

hutchibk 09-29-2008 03:45 PM

He should be there, at least I assume so. I met Dr Winer last year and Dr Hayes and Dr Burris and Dr Christofanilli, etc. They give talks in the evenings as well, and are fairly available and approachable.

Yes! Sheila will be there (and Chrisy, too?) and Maryanne in Texas. As well as Joe and Chris, of course, who are our amazing leaders.

Last year we made a plan ahead of time and pretty much all stuck pretty close together throughout. But we didn't imbibe in tasty tinis or ritas as planned last year, so we must at least once this year.

Sheila 09-29-2008 04:12 PM

Brenda
yes we must this year ...at least 1

StephN 09-29-2008 04:35 PM

Esther -wish I could make SABCS this time, but since they moved the date closer to mid-Dec it is too difficult for me.
You all will have to raise that glass without me!

When you have a retail store, things really start to pop those 2 weeks before Christmas. Puts too much pressure on hubby and the help we have. I need to be available to do various things.

However, I recommend anyone who would like to go as an Advocate to apply ASAP. Very worthwhile.

madubois63 10-06-2008 12:33 PM

I will be attending ladies!!! I am finalizing my travel plans. If my liver could take it, those tini's sound wonderful...guess I'll have to stick to my virgin margarita's.

See you in December!!!

Maryann

hutchibk 10-06-2008 12:57 PM

Maryanne - I say join us for a chocolate-tini, just without the 'tini' - nothing wrong with a glass of chocolate! LOL

chrisy 10-06-2008 01:35 PM

Hey, I'll join you in the virgin maggie or chocolate...whatever!
Makes being "on the wagon" sound much better!

Sheila 10-06-2008 03:48 PM

As long as there is no dancing on the tables...Brenda.....

Kathy S in Tokyo 10-06-2008 07:28 PM

Hutchibk - before you imbibe in any tinis or ritas, please be sure you're wearing mor than just a thin underkimono (I think that's what your avatar ideograph means in Japanese... :-) ) NO WAIT, I just realized that my mind was adding two extra diagonal lines / and \ at the bottom and you are indeed fine with your ZEN state of mind - whew! Must be the chemo playing tricks on my brain!

I'm looking forward to reports of all this year's newest info from San Antonio.

RobinP 10-08-2008 10:13 AM

You folks know, I hate to fly and couldn't stomach the trip to San Antonio. However, I will be reading the online abstracts and commenting on her2, as usual.