HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Intense Itching (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28464)

pffida 06-12-2007 04:54 PM

Intense Itching

Since beginning my Taxol-Herceptin therapy, beginning with the second infusion, I've experienced periodic very intense itching inside either the hands or the feet. The itching starts about one week after treatment. On the second round, it only happened a couple of times. After the third treatment, its been almost daily, starting about a week after treatment.

I talked to the oncology nurse -- she's never heard of this. The only thing that stops it is taking benadryl, even if its been less than four hours since I took the last dose. I am having minor neuropathy (numb thumbs and three little toes in one foot) but nothing to complain about. The nurse thinks it might be a form of neuropathy.

I'll be seeing the oncologist for this tomorrow -- just wondering if any of you have experienced this? I'm not positive its the taxol, could it maybe be the herceptin? Or could it be the Neulasta that I'm now taking (didn't take with A-C).

I finally got smart last night and bought liquid benadryl, now the itching only lasts about 15 minutes instead of one hour.

Thanks.

Susan McQ 06-12-2007 05:06 PM

I had an itchy rash after I started Taxol. I was on it weekly though. I would talk to your Onc about. The reason they give you pre-med with taxol is that it could cause a reaction.

Susan

MCS 06-13-2007 03:32 PM

Yes I did. true on benadryl and pre meds

I used Sarna Sensitive Anti Itch lotion. Available at drugstores, it's for eczema and dry skin and it worked for me. a bit more expensive than Neutrogena, etc but it works. It's about $8

Lots of love

MCS ( maria)

tricia keegan 06-13-2007 03:48 PM

I also had it on my arms,my onc insisted it was'nt the drugs but I'm sure it was.I took an anti histamine and it worked,it finally stopped after a couple of weeks though so hope your's does too!

Karen Weixel 06-13-2007 04:29 PM

I did have a rash that itched on and off throughout my Taxol treatments. If I remember correctly, itching/rash is a side effect of Taxol.

Karen

pffida 06-13-2007 05:44 PM

Thanks everyone. I saw the PA today at the oncologist's office. He hadn't heard of it before but will talk to the doctor. They might give me decadron for a couple of days after my next treatment. Thank heavens its my last treatment. Getting the liquid form of benadryl also helps tremendously, since the episodes are now only 15 minutes compared to one hour with the benadryl pills. I keep the liquid already measured out in a little bottle in my purse. I feel like I'm sneaking a drink!!

pffida 09-07-2007 12:55 PM

Had to stop taxol

I should have responded back in June to let you know the final outcome. when the PA discussed my itching with the oncologist, she immediately stopped the taxol since it was an allergic reaction I was having. It must be pretty rare, since neither the PA nor onc nurse had heard of it, but the oncologist had. So, I had three out of four taxol treatments and now am on herceptin.

Was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, so I'm going through lots of tests to see if its the Adriamycin and/or herceptin.

weezie1053 09-11-2007 07:29 PM

I had intense itching in my stomach area, but it occurred several months after I stopped the Taxol, but while still on Herceptin. I was also taking Lyrica for the Neuropathy, and I quit taking that not knowing from where the itching was coming from. My Onc was stumped as well. Did you have a rash. I had intense itching in the mid section, but no rash. I am still on the Herceptin, and the itching did eventually go away.

pffida 09-12-2007 09:35 AM

No rash for me. Just itching from the inside -- I presume it was the nerves itching if that's possible.