HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mixed bag CT report? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24518)

chrisy 07-11-2006 03:23 PM

Mixed bag CT report? (no, all good)

Hi gang,
I went where I knew I shouldn't and read my CT scan report today instead of waiting until I see my onc tommorrow. I guess I felt lucky (punk?).
I think it is a good report - no new mets identified, everything is the same (including my stubborn - but stable tiny "area of interest" in the liver).

The one thing that was a new comment was related to my bones:
on Ct chest report: "Minor degenrative change seen within the bony thorax without evident blastic or lytic lesion of bone" and
on CT Abdomen/pelvis: "Review of the study at bone windows does not demonstrte gross blastic or lytic lesions of bone. There is degenerative change noted in the spine"

Does anybody know what that means? I sort of sounds to me like they don't see cancer in my bones but I might need to start taking something to strengthen and protect my bones? I'm not freaking out (yet), just want to get some feel of what questions I need to ask tommorrow...

Thanks

Sandy H 07-11-2006 07:24 PM

I have had this on my bone scan and it is arthritic changes. I don't take anything for it do exercises physical therapist give me. It doesn't seem to bother me as having any pain. I have it in my neck and lower spine. I am careful with my neck. It comes with age as I am 59 years old and have showed changes in my neck for the past 15 years as I use to do office work and that is very bad for the neck, looking down and phone work. I hope this helps. hugs, Sandy

Carol.hope 07-11-2006 08:03 PM

Hi Chrisy. Just to help you through til you get to hear from the doc, yes, I think degenerative disease means basically wear and tear. I have lots of it. I have wonderful physical therapists who help me with my various issues regarding my spine.

I made the mistake you made (read the MRI report) and learned of something that's been worrying me, too. Finally, after 1-1/2 weeks and a CT scan, I heard from a nurse that it's probably a fluid pocket. I still don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound as bad as the MRI report. It's so hard not knowing. She said she would talk to the doctor today and call me back, but I have not heard. Now I know what people mean when they say that every "little" thing can seem big once you've had a cancer diagnosis.

You came to the right place for commiseration.

Good luck. - Carol

CLTann 07-12-2006 04:05 PM

Just add my two cents worth. Degenerative means arthritis. Nothing to worry about.

Ann

chrisy 07-12-2006 05:51 PM

Sandy, Carol, Ann...

Thanks for your responses, made me feel better right away! Then today when I asked my onc "what does this mean" and showed it to him, he said, "well, it means you're getting old" and then he said "And remember, that's what we're working for - to have you get old!" Yesterday was my birthday (52 - or just 2 as I think of it in cancer-mets life) and I definitely have a REALLY positive perspective on birthdays! The more the better!
So I guess we're on the right track. I'll take old bones over cancer any day!
Thanks again!

Sheila 07-12-2006 06:48 PM

Chrisy

The degenerative changes show up on all my bone scans...it is a polite medical way of saying...getting a little older...arthritis....sore stiff joints, mostly found in neck, spine, hips, elbows, shoulders...just about anywhere we can move....I would say not a concern...we are just showing our age via the bone scan...I have never been told to take anything for it, but I do think I will ask for a bone density test to see if I need to.
Hope this helps!

Shell 07-13-2006 06:14 AM

and happy belated birthday to you !! I certainly continue to treasure my birthdays - our goal now IS to get old.

Regards,
Shell

newgg 07-13-2006 11:37 AM

Old ?

"I is old.....you is old......we is all old !! " May we **ALL** reach the OLD in our lives !!