HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Effexor for hot flashes (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60599)

Coux92 03-25-2014 09:05 AM

Effexor for hot flashes

So, after much thought and polling all my doc's, I have decided to give low dose (37.5mg) a try.
Have any of you had succes with this.
Also, at the low dose, have you had adverse affects with alcohol?

tricia keegan 03-25-2014 01:50 PM

Re: Effexor for hot flashes

Sorry I can't help as did get a script for it but decided not to take them, have you tried a Chillow that may help at night time, if you google it you should get info.

Coux92 03-25-2014 04:42 PM

Thanks Trisha, I will look into it. I kinda was thinking too that the antidepressant effect could not hurt as now that most of my treatment is done (4 more Herceptin) I'm beginning to feel a bit down and all the emotion I have been holding in check is coming to the surface.
I just hate taking more drugs... I may just think some more....

tricia keegan 03-25-2014 05:35 PM

Its very normal for the emotional impact of treatment to hit once the physical one's are done, well done on getting though it all and it will get easier and better!:)

Nurse4u2day 03-25-2014 09:36 PM

Coux92,
The emotional crap hits me every once in awhile as well and I'm only into 3 1/2 months of chemo 1 1/2 months to go plus multiple surgeries . Heck I just had a crying fit the other night. I tend to be very positive and optimistic but after talking with my plastic surgeon it just hit me at how much further I have yet to go and the thought of that just brought in all the emotional aspects of having a cancer diagnosis . I to have thought about getting a temp anti depressant drug but like you I just don't want any more drugs in me. So for now my choice is not to start anti depressants but I am glad they are there if need be. Whatever your choice just do what in the end will make you happier even if you don't want more drugs but may need them temporarily .

Lisalou 03-26-2014 08:14 AM

Hi
Effexor can be very beneficial for hot flashes for many people and the antidepressant effect can be a bonus. Virtually all antidepressants recommend no alcohol as you may get a litle more light headed than usual. however, alcohol in moderation works ok for most, meaning no more than 1 drink per day (any more actually increases breast cancer risk as well as other harmful risks). so that is 12 oz of beer, 6 oz of wine or 1 oz of distilled spirits. Just be careful until you know how the two affect you. no driving even after 1 with the mix with effexor.

IrvineFriend 03-26-2014 07:20 PM

There have been some pretty hot debates about Effexor if you do a search. I currently take 75 mg. I'm one of the few percentage of women that have extreme side effects from menopause. Had about one every 10 minutes (that was a good day too) which resulted in vomiting A LOT. Feeling hot was a nuisance, but having my head in the toilet all day long at work was debilitating. A couple things that are my experience:
1) Effexor seemed to wire me, so I take it in the AM. Could be the opposite for you.
2) You can't miss a dose; my dear boyfriends knows if I'm just a couple hours since my last days dose. So no sleeping in and taking it when I wake up on the weekends. He said I get really contrary and he can tell right away.
3) Not sure what people do if they're sick/vomiting on Effexor. I'm a pretty happy person and I was having suicidal thoughts after forgetting to take it a couple mornings. The discontinuation syndrome of Effexor is supposed to be the worst of these meds.
Unless your symptoms are really bad, I would opt for something else. Haven't noticed alcohol having an effect or not.
Good luck,
-Julie

IrvineFriend 03-26-2014 07:23 PM

And my symptoms are much improved. I find if I have more than a glass of wine, or I'm really stressed out, the hot flashes are much worse.

Aussie Girl 03-27-2014 12:24 AM

Coux,

I've been on ultra low dose mirtazapine (Remeron) - 1/3 to 1/2 a 15mm tablet. This is to get to sleep and go back to sleep when awoken by a hot flush. It doesn't have significant withdrawal effects at this dose.

Just getting enough sleep helped my mood enough to be able to cope with the constant flushes during the day. Thankfully, Autumn (Fall) is finally coming after extended Summer weather in my part of the world and this seems to reduce the flushes. I keep ice water by me and gulp it at the first hint of a flush. It seems to reduce the duration of the flush.

I did go through a bad patch a couple of weeks ago when I felt very low. My life is very complicated currently. Talking to a few people about if helped and gave me a better perspective.

Good luck with the Effexor, if you decide to go ahead and let me know if it works. It may take a little while to adjust to it and for it to help the flushes. I believe it helps about 50% of people with flushes. Only estrogen which we can't have does better than this. Start with a low dose, but talk to your doctor if you continue to feel down. A short course of Effexor at the higher antidepressant dosage carefully tailored off to a low dose may help. You don't have to take them forever.

Aussie Girl

linn65 03-28-2014 04:42 AM

I take 75mg a day and it works like a charm!! I just take it at night when I take all my vitamins. Now, if I am under pressure then I can still have one but they are few and far between......I had no side effects besides no longer 15 hot flashes a day. ;)