HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need advice - warning - not pretty (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57592)

Redwolf8812 03-18-2013 06:59 AM

Need advice - warning - not pretty

It seems the taxotere is doing a number on my stomach. Severe abdominal cramps. But I'm on oxycodone for pain so I think that's binding me up. I'll rush to the bathroom because of bad cramps but then I can't go!

I've been trying to stick to a bland diet but I'm afraid to leave the house.

ANY words of wisdom, my dear friends?

- Penny

Ellie F 03-18-2013 07:18 AM

Re: Need advice - warning - not pretty

Hi Penny
Oxycodone is known to cause bad cramps and constipation. Can your dr try another type of pain killer? A friend of mine had it for a non cancer condition and in the end needed to take a daily laxative from his doctor to sort it out. They also suggest LOTS of fluid and fibre!
Thinking of. You
Ellie

'lizbeth 03-18-2013 07:46 AM

With Taxotere - it depleted my potassium and the effects on my elimination were distressing.

Do you need a laxative, a stool softener? Or has everything come out and your body is still trying to push things out the southern end?

I would talk to medical team about this. Give them a call.

Ugh, the joys of chemotherapy!

roz123 03-18-2013 08:24 AM

oxy and many pain killers are binding...I had an awful time with this on chemo. After almost a week (yes a week!)I finally ended up going to the emergency where they prescribed a liquid "nuclear laxative" as I like to call it because it was so potent. It worked. You need to try something stronger first to get things moving then maintain with over the counter stuff like senokot. I would call your onc and request something.

Redwolf8812 03-18-2013 09:22 AM

I just thought if the taxotere was giving me diarrhea then the binding effect of the oxy would "balance" it out but I guess not. Teach me to think.

yanyan 03-18-2013 09:53 AM

Hi Penny! Exact reaction happened to me while i was on Taxotere. It usually happens a few hours like 6 or 8 hours after the infusion. The 1st time i thought it was a food poisoning. Pain was very very bad and i sat on the toilet for like an hour. I almost passed out from the pain; Second time it was the same thing, so i knew it must be the drug; each time the cramps got better until i finished the last one.

NanaJoni 03-18-2013 11:31 AM

My onc nurses told me to keep and take Metamucil every day. Which I did most of the time - it is high fiber and really helped. But as always, don't take or use anything without checking with your doc first.

chrisy 03-18-2013 02:24 PM

Been there. The worst.
What was recommended to me and eventually worked the best was every a,m miealax and stool softener am and pm. I had to watch it and adjust as necessary. if no "progress", a another miralax.

Note this was not for oxy but for navelbine. I avoid oxy and so far have been able to do so comfortably. After the TACE, they basically forced me to take it, and it took me several days to feel normal again. It's really fun with ascities:).

Good luck penny

rondo 03-18-2013 02:26 PM

Are you sure its cramps and not acid reflux? I had a huge problem with this on taxotere. My onc put me on proton pump inhibitors for 10 days of each cycle. Worked wonders. Also Emend, if you are on it for nausea will cause constipation in some. Magnesium supplements are very helpful. They help leg cramps, too.

Redwolf8812 03-18-2013 03:48 PM

Just heard from the oncologist. She doesn't like my reactions to
the current chemo and says I'll start the new drug tdm1 at my next
appt, after a baseline MRI. Only by the Grace of God will this tdm1
get accomplished. Still have to deal with the hospital's
bureaucracy and insurance company. I still need prayers that this
will work, and with no allergic reactions and no adverse side
effects.

I felt so sick today that I actually felt hopeless.

Thank God for His Faithfulness.

NEDenise 03-18-2013 03:51 PM

Penny...
"My hope is in the Lord"
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

One set of footprints is all anyone needs...
Sending prayers and hugs your way...be patient with yourself...
Denise

'lizbeth 03-18-2013 05:52 PM

Redwolf,

Are you feeling better on the elimination issue?

Maybe its your turn for a miracle. So happy that TDM1 is approved and available. The insurance company might just surprise you. We hope so!

CoolBreeze 03-18-2013 06:46 PM

Miralax has worked well for me. I also take senekot S. I have been on painkillers for years now so I know if I miss a day or two, to hit the bowel drugs.

I will start TDM1 too. Hope it works for both of us!

Redwolf8812 03-18-2013 07:07 PM

I decided to have a glass of wine. Doc says just one won't hurt me. Usually calms my stomach. Thanks for all the advice.

- Penny

CarolineC 03-18-2013 09:26 PM

I remember last year on docetaxel and wondering what on earth I was doing to my body. It felt like I had ingested Drano and it was tearing at my stomach. Without going into too much detail, my bathroom adventures made me grip tightly at my hat and pull it over my ears. 'Lisbeth, you described it well-"the effects on my elimination were distressing"!

My onc office gave me a list of certain softeners to use and how many times if there was no relief. I think Senokot and drinking plenty of water helped. It will get better, you just have to take it second by second sometimes.

I broke out in a rash like Jessica and had a fever 8 days after my first round which put me in the hospital for 3 days and I am sure it was from eating spinach at a salad bar when I didn't know I was neutropenic. Watch your counts with this chemo, take your temperature, and avoid raw vegetables if you're neutropenic.

Best of luck in whatever comes next. You are strong and the hopeless feeling will go away!

Redwolf8812 03-22-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and comfort. Woke up today with chills and fever. Went to oncologist. Being treated for diverticulitis, again. I thank The Lord that's all it was. Now where's my wine glass?

Jean 03-23-2013 04:26 AM

Dear Penny,
It never stops amazing me the wonder of the women on this site and their beautiful sense of humor.

Whenever the going the rough get going that's for sure.
(love your statement, "where's my wine glass) lol

I found during my treatment with THC that yogurt daily helped keep my system running without issues.
Not sure if this is your answer, just sharing.
Hope you are feeling better and best wishes on the new treatment.

Hugs,
Jean

Jackie07 03-23-2013 07:34 PM

Cook some Dikon (a white Chinese/Japanese turnip shaped like a giant carot) soup ... Below is an article about the enzymes produced by the liver:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/17...roduced-liver/