HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Herceptin only/ no chemo? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46260)

kklee 08-03-2010 06:39 PM

Herceptin only/ no chemo?

I am newly diagnosed. 45 yrs old
IDC 0.4 and 0.6mm, Stage 1, grade 1
ER+ , PR-, Node Negative, HER2 Positive

Since my Tumor size & Grade Says No Chemo...Thats what I started out thinking. Onco recommended me to have Chemo with tamoxifen
since I am HER2 Positive and ER+. Can I just have tamoxifen along with Herceptin without going thru the Chemo?

Anybody has the same situation?

Jackie07 08-03-2010 06:53 PM

Re: Herceptin only/ no chemo?

kklee,

Definitely take standard Her2 BC treatment - chemo + Herceptin + Tamoxifen.

This is a very vicious BC. Grade 1 only means it's not growing as fast as grade 3, doesn't mean it's not Her2. When you have Her2, you want to use everything possible to get rid of it. There have been many subtypes found so far. Your doctor wouldn't take chance, you certainly don't want to shortchange yourself.

kklee 08-03-2010 07:41 PM

Hi Jackie, Thks for your reply.
Will that make a diff. if I have mastectomy?
Alternate Onco suggests me to take tamoxifen + Herceptin only to minimize the toxicities. However, Herceptin normally goes with Chemo and rarely used alone.

Jackie07 08-03-2010 07:49 PM

Herceptin is 'the' weapon against Her2 positive breast cancer. You definitely want to have Herceptin.

kklee 08-03-2010 08:00 PM

My ONOC says can take either Chemo + Tamoxifen or Herceptin + tamoxifen? Which way is more appropriate?

ElaineM 08-03-2010 08:14 PM

What about asking the oncologist about adding a short course of Navelbine? It is a good chemo that is tolerable for most people. Take good care of yourself.

kklee 08-03-2010 08:45 PM

He is suggesting either TC or AC for chemo, 4 doses. I thought TC would be v. strong as he suggests adding WBC booster at the same time.

Sheila 08-04-2010 06:57 AM

Back in 2002 when I was diagnosed, chemo was not recommended for my tumor size and neg nodes...I fell into the chemo not needed group by the American Cancer Society....herceptin was not available, only for Stage IV pts, and I was Stage 1....so I had a mastectomy, and I was ER- so no anto hormonal/
Needless to say, it returned a year and a half later, and I have been in treatment ever since, non stop. Do yourself a favor and get more than 1 opinion, then do all you can to prevent this from returning...its your life!

kklee 08-04-2010 09:34 PM

Talked to my Onco and he suggests 9 weekly Navelbine + Herceptin and 5 years tamoxifen. How's that sound?
What'll be the side effect of Navelbine?

Sheila 08-05-2010 09:14 AM

I would definately get another opinion...you aren't getting enough Herceptin from just 9 weeks, the Tamoxifen 5 years is a standard, although they are switching it to other AI's instead of 5 full years of Tamoxifen...as far as the navelbine, I found it very easy to take, no problems, but also that is not standard therapy for first line treatment.

StephN 08-05-2010 11:56 AM

About navelbine - we have seen more members here reporting getting for early stage BC. Navelbine works well with Herceptin. It worked well for me for stage IV.

I agree with Sheila that you could benefit from more than just 9 weeks of Herceptin.

Are you in Europe? The doctors there may be looking at the Finher trials that specified only 9 weeks of Herceptin.

You have to consider "micrometasteses" - the cancer cells that can escape and lodge in bone marrow or elsewhere, and make a sneak attack later on. They are undetectable at early stage.

kklee 08-05-2010 06:41 PM

Yes, StephN, while I'm in Far East, my Onco says he's referring to a study in N. Europe that 300's patients are taking Herceptin continuously for 9 weeks and the reduction of RR rate is 40%. While using std Herceptin full year every 3 weeks would reduce by 50%. He mentions that the result is comparable for Navelbine+Herception 9 weeks and Herceptine alone for full year course.

kklee 08-05-2010 06:58 PM

Yes, Sheila, I'm going to another onco tmw for his opinion.
What happening in HongKong is Public Health Care does not offer Herceptin for early BC <1mm though w/HER2. The standard package is TC or AC therapy every 3 weeks for 4 doses. Herceptin or navelbine is offered by private practice doc, paid out of my own pocket and thus, my onco is trying to minimize the spending with best available effects. The full year course on Herceptin only is USD43K here and he says not many patients will afford.