HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cardiac toxicity with Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61680)

Camiddendorf 08-19-2014 05:41 PM

Cardiac toxicity with Herceptin

Hi all,
I would like to know if you have experience with decreased ejection fraction secondary to Herceptin and if you were able to resume Herceptin if the drug was temporarily discontinued. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with left-sided HER2+, invasive lobular breast cancer which is ER + and PR- In August 2013. I have received cardio toxic drugs including Adriamycin
. AC every 3weeks x4
. Taxol and Herceptin every week x12
. Radiation x34 doses
.Femara daily x5 years (recently initiated)

I started single dose Hercetin in April, and have received 6 doses. Plan was to have every 3 weeks for a year. now my EF =48%!! Was 80% prior to any treatment, then 70% at start of Taxol and Herceptin, then 62% in May and now in aug 2014, 48%!

I worried about Herceptin resistence but I really never considered cardio toxicity. Now I am feeling that the rug has literally been pulled from under my feet. Nothing I can do to improve my ejection fraction and I worry that the prognosis without Herceptin is markedly worse.

CoolBreeze 08-19-2014 08:06 PM

Re: Cardiac toxicity with Herceptin

This has not happened to me, but I do know many, many cancer patients and it has happened to quite a few of them. Many have to go off Herceptin, which is scary, but they recover in a couple months and can go back on.

I'm sure there are some here who will chime in, but I wanted you to know you aren't alone. And, you can recover and continue treatment. *hugs*

pffida 08-20-2014 08:38 PM

I had problems with herceptin, developing cardio myopathy after about 3 or 4 treatments. The oncologist had had good success with waiting about six weeks, then restarting weekly treatments (at lower doses). It was hard going every week, but the heart problems went away and I've been fine ever since. See if your oncologist would be willing to try that.

DianaMK 08-21-2014 07:26 AM

The first time I was on Herceptin I had a 10 point drop in my E.F. I took 6 weeks off and repeated echo, E.F. increased and I was able to resume.

I have now been on Herceptin for four years. Last year a 10 point drop again so I saw a cardiologist. I am on a beta blocker and my E.F. has maintained around 58%.

Camiddendorf 08-21-2014 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I am encouraged to know Herceptin could be renewed and will ask about weekly dose.My next ECHO in 3 weeks, so I will keep my fingers crossed. If I ever figure out how to attach my stats, I will do so :-)

vballmom 09-03-2014 05:54 AM

I was off Herceptin due to a lowered EF but was able to resume after a few months. I finished!

'lizbeth 09-03-2014 11:26 AM

I tried exercise and CoQ10 to help keep the ejection up. Discuss strategies with your doctors to minimize the effects of the cardiotoxicity.

Good wishes for your next scan to show an increase.