HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Microcalcifications (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68341)

Mjo212 11-22-2019 09:31 AM

Microcalcifications

Has anyone had microcalifications on lumpectomy scar after long term NED? I have to go back for more imaging after 13 years of clean mammos. Hmmmm, 13. I had aggressive treatment for a small tumor in 2005 -- chemo, hercep, radiation and 5 years of estrogen blocker. Nervous because calcium is at site of my tumor.

Laurel 11-22-2019 10:57 AM

Re: Microcalcifications

MJo,

I have not, but will pray this is a big nothing burger! Please keep us informed as we will all learn something here. I hope others who have experienced something similar will chime in soon for you.

Lien 11-23-2019 02:26 PM

Haven't had that happen to me. Had some biopsies over the years because of iffy mammo's or ultrasounds. They all turned out to be B9. Hope you are fine too.

tricia keegan 11-24-2019 03:00 PM

me neither so can't help but hoping it's nothing sinister. I was diagnosed the same year, sending good wishes and please keep us posted as think we're writing the next chapter of herceptin as some of the first to get it for early stage cancer.

Mjo212 11-25-2019 01:14 PM

Some of you know me as MJo. I didn't think my old login would still be here when I posted, so I became MJo212. I got more 3D mammography imaging today and the radiologist said the calcification hasn't changed in 3 weeks so come back in 6 months for another mammogram.

I see the oncologist for a follow up in three weeks, and he lets me read the reports. I'll discuss this with him. I might consider paying for my own mammo in 3 months, depending on my discussion with onc.

Mjo212 12-04-2019 09:21 AM

PTSD is real. For the first time in 13 years I did not have a clear mammogram, and I flashed back to 2005 and my diagnosis of cancer. It wasn't logical, but PTSD is not logical. For me, lack of information is worse than information overload. Learning that I had calcification on or near my lumpectomy scar frightened me, although the oncologist and radiologist seemed pretty casual and told me not to worry about it. Hah! The remedy was going to the hospital's medical records dept. and getting copies of my mammogram reports. I have three calcifications of a shape that is considered harmless, with a 0-2% chance of developing cancer. Now I can relax -- but not completely. Especially since I know the 1% person who developed bone mets from DCIS. (She is living comfortably after 10 years of mets, travelling and enjoying her grandchild.) This experience was a lesson to me. I still carry the trauma of cancer diagnosis and treatment. I got high anxiety when faced with my calcification diagnosis and alternated beer and xanax until I got enough information to satisfy me. It's my new normal. Bless us all.

Donna H 12-04-2019 01:36 PM

I agree - I'd rather know more than be in the dark. This diagnosis, and all that follows, is the gift that keeps on giving it seems! But you sound like you have a great attitude and great spirit. Keep the faith (and the beer and Xanax if needed)!

CutiePie 12-19-2019 03:37 PM

I had micro-calcifications in my left breast 11 years before my BC was diagnosed (left breast). Wonder if it was an early warning of what was coming.
Keep the faith, sending prayers your way.