HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Avastin/Taxol (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39510)

shondagaylord 05-21-2009 07:07 PM

Avastin/Taxol

Hi everyone... Anybody on Avastin/Taxol? They want to start me on this and I just have questions. I have taken taxol before and did well. Took it weekly for a year. Avastin was just approved for use in metastatic BC in 08. I am courious of side effects. My ejection fracture has gone to 47% so they are stopping herceptain for a while. I am currently on Navelbine and we are stopping it now. I have been on it for 5 rounds. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you

SoCalGal 05-21-2009 08:50 PM

I've been on Avastin (with Herceptin and Tykerb and also Zometa) for quite some time. I have not had any side effects from Avastin, other than some weird, random dry nose symptoms. I use either aquafour or polysporin to soothe if needed. It's such a minor side effect.
The other side effect of Avastin CAN be high blood pressure. This typically does not happen right away. I have not had this problem. There is risk of hemmoraging also, so my doctor said lay off the advil and other NSAID's or whatever they are called:) I have had a dose here or there and am still here to type. LOL.
Good luck to you. I think Avastin is very good at stopping cancer and has low to no s/e's!
Flori

Pam P 05-22-2009 04:41 AM

I was on taxol/avastin for about 8 10 months. Overall I was more fatiqued but seemed to manage it okay. But I did have many side effects. From the avastin I had lots of nose bleeds, also my blood pressure rose to the point that I had to go on bp meds. I also had some pericardial fluid and pleural effusions show up - and shortness of breath. Not sure if these were avastin or taxol. Now that I'm not on t/a this all has gone away except for the blood pressure, but it is much better. That was my experience of course yours may be very different. I hope the combo works well for you.

Unregistered 05-22-2009 04:59 AM

For Pam

Pam, How are you doing on the Gemzar?

Shonda

Sheila 05-22-2009 05:19 AM

Shonda
I was on Taxol/Avastin for 6 months. Like Pam, I had issues with lots of nosebleeds, and blood pressure issues that cauded me to go on meds....the B/P is a very common side effect and they will monitor it closely. I had an excellent response, but had to drop the Taxol due to elevated B/P. Also, like Flori said, no Aspirin, No NSAIDS...just Tylenol with this! I also had to go off to have dental work (a tooth pulled) done due to the fact it seriously delays healing.
Hope it works good for you!

Pam P 05-23-2009 03:27 AM

Shonda - I'm doing well on the gemzar. No real side effects. I have had the treatment held 3 times though since Feb. when my platelets have been too low to have tx. I guess this is common on gemzar that blood counts will go low.
The taxol & avastin were effective for me in fighting back the cancer for awhile, but I do feel better now that I'm off it. Let me know how you are doing on the taxol/avastin. I hope it works well for you.

shondagaylord 05-23-2009 05:36 AM

Hair loss

Hey did you guys loose all or some of your hair on Taxol? When I originally took it it was in combo w/ Carboplatin so I did get slick, but after 4 months and they stopped the carbo my hair started to grow back. My hair is long again now and they said I "may" loose it or it will thin out alot. I can deal with that you just hate to have to go through that again.

Thank you for all the great support.

Sheila 05-23-2009 06:03 AM

Shonda
not everyone loses their hair on Taxol, I did, but mine also started growing back on Taxol....it seemed whenever I would get a break in treatments of 3 or 4, my hair would fall out again...its been an off again on again thing with the hair for me for 2 years...the longest my hair ever got was 3/4 in. I missed my eyebrows more than the hair!

Pam P 05-23-2009 06:14 AM

I lost all my hair except for a few stray 'whiskers on my head' that refused to leave.