HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo build up (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52286)

KG1993 11-28-2011 11:51 AM

Chemo build up

Hello again,

Mom is having her 5th chemo treatment tomorrow. Usually she would have severe nausea, fatitgue, etc a week or so after chemo and then start feeling better.

After chemo 4 this did not happen. The nausea, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, did not go away. Is this normal? Assuming the chemo drugs have built up over the first4 treatments? She is taking taxol and another chemo that starts with a C every 3 weeks along with herceptin.

She is just getting really down because she feels like S...!
She says she can barely stand to swallow water.

Help if you have any advice.
Thanks,
Kim

BonnieR 11-28-2011 12:23 PM

Re: Chemo build up

Is the "C" Carboplatin? That can be a little rough. I had it too. TCH. I found the side effects to be cumulative so it is probable that is what she is experiencing too. But best to ask her oncologist to be sure nothing else is going on. And see if they can offer any relief. Is she getting anti-nausea meds? Perhaps sucking on ice slivers would help if she cant tolerate drinking water. She needs to stay hydrated. Does she like ginger ale? It can relieve nausea.
The thing to remember is that this won't last forever and she is in the home stretch. Keep the faith.

ElaineM 11-28-2011 03:06 PM

Some oncologists will consider reducing the dose temporarily if a person is having too many side effects.
Or an oncologist can delay treatment a week or so if a person is having too many side effects.
Most oncologists want people to hang in there and get as much chemo as possible, but if a person is having alot of side effects or getting depressed about all the side effects and is ready to give up they are willing to make adjustments to the treatment ocassionally.
Most oncologists can offer other kinds of help or prescribe things to conteract some of the more unpleasant side effects.
Your mom should be up front and discuss her concerns and problems with her oncologist openly. If she won't or can't do it try to accompany her to some of her appointments and express your concerns to her oncologist.

snolan 11-28-2011 03:20 PM

I also did the TCH and felt the last 2 treatments seemed to take longer to get rid of side effects, it does have an cumulative effect.

suzan w 11-29-2011 06:35 AM

I had adriamycin/cytoxin, after the first 2 treatments...similar to your mom, I would "recover" enough to drag myself to next treatment. However, after the second treatment, I was so wiped out, WBC way down, could barely lift head off pillow...my onc. delayed the next treatment. This happened twice. All I can say, looking back, I am glad I stuck it out...toughest ride of my life...hang in there Mom!!!

KG1993 11-29-2011 07:43 AM

Bonnie,
Yes I do believe it is Carboplatin and Taxol that she is taking. She is getting anti-nausea meds but does not think they are helping. She started one today that starts with a Z because I read in a thread in this support group it helps many people.

They do give her an infusion before/during chemo to help keep her hydrated. She sounded better last night, but she definitley has some sadness.......but who wouldn't.

Susan,
So far (First 4 treatments) her counts have been high enough she has been able to take the chemo. Her 5th one is today, so hopefully it is okay.

Elaine,
I agree. I hope she can just get through these last 2 rounds and not delay taking them. Right now Dec. 20th is her last one (hopefully). We head back to mayo clinic after christmas for another scan to make sure.

To all
Thanks so much for the needed reply. I have been pretty strong up to this point, but I really needed the feedback and encouragment. It really does stink to see her not herself and not feel well. I almost feel as if I have turned into the mother, which I am happy to do for her.

God Bless,
Kim G

norkdo 11-29-2011 08:08 AM

thx for this thread and its title.
i, too, felt like a million bucks by the time the next chemo was scheduled (in the first four chemos). In the time coming up to the last chemo there was hardly any break in awful symptoms. After the last chemo it is week four with still no respite. (just got prescribed nexium so great hope here, combined with a yoghurt/acidophilus daily plan, thx to people on here giving me advice).

So to answer your question about chemo build up: oh yes!!! chemo builds up in the system and is exponentially worse to recover from each time.

I landed in the hospital after the last chemo. 8 days of diarrhea. febrile neutropenia. (i think that is the name?)

i don't want to be dramatic, but my onc resident said "some people DIE from chemo"

PinkGirl 11-29-2011 08:17 AM

Hi KG ... it sure feels like there is a build-up; maybe it's just that
it takes time for the chemo to wear us down. It happened to me after my 4th treatment ... I was waiting for the 'rebound' but it never arrived.

I'm sure your mom will be fine. Talk to her onc and nurses about the nausea . There are many medications to try ... they don't work the same way for everyone. Kytril worked for me. Keep the faith!!!