HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Abraxane (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53536)

CoolBreeze 03-21-2012 06:04 PM

Abraxane

Who has been on it? I start it next week. My doc seemed to think I might not lose my hair but everything I read says I will.

I was on Taxol a couple of years ago...did okay, except for tired. Things are a lot different now though, I was much healthier then.

Becky 03-21-2012 06:22 PM

Re: Abraxane

this is Taxol in a different solubilization system (so you will not need steroids). Therefore, as with Taxol, you will probably lose your hair:(

Others who have been on this drug will be able to comment more.

CoolBreeze 03-21-2012 06:50 PM

Yes, I was really shocked when the doctor said I might not lose it. I said, "Am I going to lose my hair" and he responded, "I don't think you'll be on it long enough to cause hair loss." (They are giving to to me to shrink my liver tumor before I see the surgeon in mid-April.) But then I read that most people, like on Taxol and Taxotere, lose it on day 18 or 19, and I will certainly be on it that long. I lost it on Taxol on exactly Day 19.

I'm going three weeks on and one week off.

Oh well, this time I'll buy a REAL hair wig that will be more comfy! If anybody has found a comfortable wig, can you let me know? I couldn't tolerate wigs last time and wore scarves only.

Bunty 03-21-2012 09:40 PM

Hi Ann, I did about six months on Abraxane last year, and found it very tolerable. I also did Taxol a few years ago, and Abraxane was easier. It is a bonus you don't need to have steroids. My hair didn't completely disappear, but I looked like a moth eaten mad woman, so just shaved it all. (Profile pic is with my wig - will update with my new short gray style, which I had cut today at the hairdresser!) Abraxane is very good for liver mets.

All the best
Marie

chemteach 03-22-2012 05:05 AM

Ugh...sorry about the hair loss. I can't imagine losing it again. I also could not tolerate a wig and wore scarves and hats most of this school year. Only now do I go out with my new really really short hair. I'm glad the abraxane seems more tolerable. Keep going!

KristinSchwick 03-22-2012 05:59 AM

I took abraxane for 14 weeks as neoadujuvant chemo after completing FEC, and I was pleasantly surprised that my hair started growing while on abraxane. But I'm sure alot depends on the dose. Best of luck!

Lori R 03-22-2012 11:37 AM

I am on my 2nd round of Abraxane and have found it both tolerable AND effective on both occasions.

It is strange. The first time I was on it I didn't lose what little hair I had remaining following my initial taxotere treatment. This 2nd time, I lost it all. But then, when I started the Abraxane treatment #2, we combined it with Tykerb. So maybe that double whammey was too much for the hair.

I am hoping the Abraxane kicks those mets the same way they have for me!!!

schoolteacher 03-22-2012 12:27 PM

Abraxane has been easier on my body than Navelbine. I am also taking Herceptin and Tykerb with it. I have been taking a treatment every two weeks, so far my blood count has been good. I take Xgeva once a month also. I have take three treatments.

My hair has fallen out a little bit with each treatment. The first and second treatment my hair hurt when I would place my head on my pillow, but this has not been the case since I took the third treatment last week.

I hope to be scanned soon to see if it is working.

Amelia

StephN 03-22-2012 02:24 PM

Praying that Abraxane will have its way with those mets for both Ann and Amelia.

Keep us posted, as this is an important component in many of our treatment lists.

CoolBreeze 03-22-2012 06:25 PM

I thought Navelbine was pretty easy so I'm glad to hear Abraxane is the same way. I'm very worried as I have some major stomach problem going on - lots of pain. I am not sure what a chemo will do to me but I guess it's growing fast enough to try.

I think I am going to buy a wig anyway, even if my hair just thins. Anybody have any suggestions? I want to buy a real hear, comfortable one. Does anybody have a brand they like? I have a very small head and most wigs don't fit - I had to buy the kind that were adjustable and tighten them as much as possible. I was miserable in every single one I bought (all were under $100) so this time I want to get a comfortable one! Thanks!

dawny 03-22-2012 07:32 PM

Hi Ann
I had Abraxane once a week for 16 weeks along with Herceptin. The s/e's built up over the weeks, so if you are not on it as long as i was, hopefully you wont get too many s/e's. All of my hair came out, i was naseous, really fatigued, nail problems, and by the 16th week couln't even move myself. BUT it got me to NED stage 1V. So for me it was fantastic
Good luck
Dawn

CoolBreeze 03-25-2012 01:17 PM

So you are only on Herceptin right now Dawny?

I have been on herceptin (and zometa) since my liver resection and progressed. My onc says that it appears herceptin doesn't work on me. He isn't going to take me off of it but I guess I can't be on just it alone.

If I didn't have the stomach issue we might try tykerb but not now. We'll see how I do on Abraxane anyway. I hope it gets me to NEd the way it has you all, but I think I won't get to stop it.

Elizabethtx 03-25-2012 03:05 PM

Good luck! Here's hoping and praying the Abraxane does the trick!

dawny 03-25-2012 06:26 PM

That's right Ann, I am on Abraxane only right now. I will have scans in 3 weeks, hopefully all will still be well. Here's hoping Abraxane will be right for you, I'm sorry you have to try it, you have been through a lot lately!! AND still kept your sense of humour!
Dawn

Deb33 03-26-2012 05:14 AM

I met a girl during one of my treatments that had 1 TCH and couldn't tolerate the side effects so was put on Abraxane. She loved it, had no issues and only had hair thinning - Its probably dose related but I'm hoping for an easy time for you - its your turn.