HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Now pancreatitis! anyone experience? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37751)

eric 01-28-2009 06:41 PM

Now pancreatitis! anyone experience?

As a quick refresher, Caryn had the SIRT procedure about 3 months ago to attack a large stubborn single spot in her liver. The Sirt worked very well on the original spot, as it's considerably smaller. Unfortunately a new small spot (1.2 cm) has popped up in her liver, there's now cancer in the nodes right by the liver and her pancreas is lighting up on the PET. My biggest concern right now is the pancreas. The Dr's feel that the pancreas lighting up is due to pancreatitis rather than cancer but I'll feel much better when we get confirmation that there's no cancer there. Regardless, the inflammation is causing Caryn pain and discomfort so she's now on pain meds. They'll schedule an endoscopy to confirm what's causing the pancreatitis so any positive thoughts sent our way will be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yorkiegirl 01-28-2009 07:29 PM

Eric I'm sorry to hear about this new development with Caryn.
Prayers going out for her.

The only experience I have with pancreatitis is with my dog who now has chronic pancreatitis.

Just make sure she has very low fat diet, and keeps ahead of the pain.

Faith in Him 01-28-2009 08:05 PM

Eric,

I am adding my prayers that the area lighting up on the pancreas is nothing serious. I hope caryn gets relief from her pain soon.

Tonya

BonnieR 01-28-2009 08:20 PM

No experience with this but sending love.

Bill 01-28-2009 08:27 PM

Eric, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Caryn. I'm sorry that I can't offer more help, but I've got no experience with pancreatic issues. Maybe try different nsaids in addition to the pain meds. You guys hang in there, brother.

Carolyns 01-28-2009 09:04 PM

Hi Eric,

I am sorry to hear about Caryn's pancreatitis. I did not have the same situation but something....

I had rapidly rising bilirubin 1 point per day. We thought it was the liver mets. I went to the hospital and it turned out that the lymph nodes around the bile duct near my liver were swollen closing the bile duct. We ended up having a stent placed in the bile duct and once it opened the duct the liver began to drain I got pancreatitis. It was very painful and lasted about 24 hours. My liver counts became normal over the next few days. That was last March and I have the stent replaced every 3 to 6 months as the bile duct has not opened up again when we remove the stent. So far so good.

I wish you and Caryn well.

Carolyn

Carolyns 01-28-2009 09:19 PM

Hi Eric,

I am sorry to hear about Caryn's pancreatitis. I did not have the same situation but something....

I had rapidly rising bilirubin 1 point per day. We thought it was the liver mets. I went to the hospital and it turned out that the lymph nodes around the bile duct near my liver were swollen closing the bile duct. We ended up having a stent placed in the bile duct and once it opened the duct the liver began to drain I got pancreatitis. It was very painful and lasted about 24 hours. That was last March and I have the stent replaced every 3 to 6 months and so far so good.

I wish you and Caryn well.

Carolyn

Shobha 01-29-2009 09:50 AM

Adding my prayers and postive thoughts for Caryn.

vickie h 01-29-2009 10:45 AM

Eric, So sorry to hear about Caryn being in pain. I'm praying for you both and sending healing energy her way. Hang in there, we're all here for you. Love, Vickie

Mary Anne in TX 01-29-2009 02:14 PM

I send you and Caryn my prayers and best wishes also, Eric. ma

WomanofSteel 01-29-2009 03:53 PM

Sending a prayer that Caryn should feel better soon!

Julie2 01-29-2009 04:25 PM

Eric,

Sending my prayers for Caryn and you, hope it is just an
inflammation and goes away soon.

Julie

eric 01-29-2009 08:35 PM

Thank you ALL. You're good wishes help. Hugs to all, Eric

Sherryg683 01-29-2009 08:54 PM

You and Caryn will be in my prayers. I know this is a scary time, may God help you get through it and all goes well..sherryg

grandma2 01-30-2009 07:11 PM

eric, i'm sorry to hear of caryn's problems. i have numerous nodes with mets in abdominal area. several are clumped together and pressing on my pancreas, liver and bile duct. in nov i was in hosp. for 5 days with acute pancreatitis. at first we thought it was xeloda and that may have had a part in it, but the nodes are right against the mouth of the pancreas. pain never really went away and new years day back in hospital for a week. however pan. enyzmes were normal but bilirubin and liver enyzmes sky high. nodes are also pressing on bile duct causing an obstruction and jaundice. they had to put 2 stents in to keep bile duct open. still in constant pain and been on percocet for weeks now. monday will start rads to shrink this area and then chemo to hopefully kill it off. radiologist told me that to remove it completely with rads would require too high a dose and would damage organs around it. i thought it was unusual to have mets in this area from breast but i'm finding it's more common than i thought. nothing so far in liver and hope it stays that way. very down that i have to do the rad thing again for 5-7 weeks and them chemo again especially losing hair a 2nd time. may sound stupid but that's bothering me something awful. oh i forgot, at first they thought there was a mass in pancreas but it was highly inflammed due to the clump of nodes. i have more nodes in there but this one area is causing the problems. onc ran pancreas marker and that was normal. i'm sure caryn's will be also. i'll keep her in my prayers and please lets compare notes in the coming weeks. good luck.

eric 01-30-2009 09:38 PM

Grandma, I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering with those nodes but I'm hopeful that the rads do their stuff for you. It sounds like it's been a tough gp for you but I'm glad that it's not in your organs.
I do understand your upset over your hair as it also upset Caryn very much when she had to change treatments.
I look forward to comparing notes as well. Thanks for sharing.
Eric

Joan M 02-01-2009 08:44 AM

Eric,

Caryn is always in my prayers.

Joan

fauxgypsy 02-04-2009 07:41 PM

I feel for you. I had pancreatitis twice in the past. Not cancer related. I cannot imagine pain any worse. Natural childbirth was minor compared to that. I hope she is better.

eric 02-04-2009 07:57 PM

Unfortunately it turns out that the pancreatitis is being caused by cancer in the head of her pancreas. In order to avoid putting in a stent she's starting eznymes to help the digestive process. She's also switching from Avastin/Abraxane to Ixempra (I'll post seperately about that). My heart breaks watching her in pain and tired all day. I'm anxious for the enzymes to start working so that she can eat regularly and get her strength back. Like so many of you, she's been though so much and deserves better than this.