HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   blood in urine? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52288)

pilgrim37 11-28-2011 03:11 PM

blood in urine?

Hi all:

I'm a year out from my last herceptin treatment (had stage III her2+, 3 months taxol/herceptin, bilateral mastectomy, 3 months A/C, 6 weeks radiation, balance of year on herceptin). Had complete response and was ecstatic.
Just returned from what was supposed to be routine annual obgyn appt & urine test showed microscopic blood in the urine. She said it could be caused by bladder cancer (& also many other things) -- tests pending. I'm scared. Looked up her2+ bladder cancer, & it's not good. Of course, if it's a recurrence, I'd be stage IV. Anyone had mets to the bladder? I'm ahead of myself b/c haven't been diagnosed with anything other than microscopic blood in urine, but just thought I would ask...

snolan 11-28-2011 03:17 PM

Re: blood in urine?

Blood in urine can also be an infection, hope for that.

NEDenise 11-28-2011 04:50 PM

Sheesh! I can't believe your doc let you leave the office worried about that! You poor thing!

Suzanne's absolutely right! It could be nothing more than a simple UTI!! Would you feel comfortable calling your GP or Onc for reassurance?

Try not to worry yourself sick. I know...easier said than done.
Denise

whatz 11-28-2011 05:26 PM

Ditto to what everybody else said. Most probably would be UTI. Also...some people have normally a trace of blood in their urine (i.e. me). I had that come back one time with the same finding (prior to my cancer diagnosis) and was put through the whole shabang of tests just to come out with the finding...nothing wrong to be found anywhere...sometimes people just have this in their urine (and I too had spent all my time worrying about bladder cancer etc.)

chekmark 11-28-2011 05:38 PM

I can duplicate what Whatz said. I had traces of blood in my urine also. Went thru some tests ( all very easy and painless) and was told that I had a perfectly healthy bladder and there is no reason why I had blood in my urine but that some people just do. Try not to read to much into it. I know someone with bladder cancer and she had alot of blood in her urine, basically peed total red. Hope this sheds some light for you. Stay positive. God Bless. Darlene

pilgrim37 11-28-2011 05:51 PM

oh, that helps so much, thank you guys!! I also found something saying that arimidex can sometimes be associated with this (which I'm on).... Thank you for helping me stop worrying! I'll get the work-up done, but I feel so much better.

Jackie07 11-28-2011 06:11 PM

Hi,

Chemotherapy often puts women into menopause prematurely. One of the side effects of menopause is frequent UTIs (Urinary tract infection) A non-estrogen vaginal lubrication, 'Replense', has been recommended by a couple of our members and I've found it quite effective.

Naturally your doctor wanted to take precaution because of your medical history. One of my neurosurgeons had told me back in 2003: "People who have one type of cancer are more likely to have another type of cancer." Once we have experienced cancer, it's hard to follow the advice: "When you hear hoof beats, think of horses - not zebras."

Take a deep breath whenever you feel the anxiety. In the meanwhile, drink a lot of fluid and keep some cranberry tablets/capsules on hand.

Sending you good vibes.

BonnieR 11-28-2011 07:19 PM

Concentrate on the "many other things"! All you heard was "cancer". Which we all can identify with, believe me!
Even though we have had cancer, we are still eligible for all sorts of other common ailments. (which I think is unfair!)
Try not to worry until given concrete reason to. It's a shame the doctor did not offer more reassurance.
Keep the faith.

norkdo 11-29-2011 08:50 AM

Pilgrim, pls will you update this thread when u find out what the blood was? thinking of you.