HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A bit crispy, but the radiation is done! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27208)

Mary Anne in TX 03-01-2007 05:35 PM

A bit crispy, but the radiation is done!

Wow, how excited I was to finish up my radiation today! It was simple and good, but just am so pleased to have it done. I got crispy is some places but have good stuff to put on it. I'm just so glad that they can raise our odds with the radiation. It felt like I was really doing something to fight this disease each day. I had such sweet care and will miss them. Now four more months of Herceptin and then ? whatever is next! I'm so glad you guys visit the board regularly. It just makes such a difference. ma

R.B. 03-01-2007 06:05 PM

You are all so brave about it all.

Crusty sunburn is bad enough and that's without everything else you go through.

I hope it is not too sore.

RB

skeetur 03-01-2007 06:05 PM

Congrats, Mary Anne!

Lolly 03-01-2007 06:18 PM

Way to go Mary Anne! You will be surprised how quickly you heal up. My rad people gave me "Aquaphor" ointment last time, it was amazing stuff.

<3 Lolly

Donna 03-01-2007 06:41 PM

HI Mary Ann,

Just had my 1 month check up after radiation. My skin is still a little red and the Dr. said it was actually warm to the touch, too. Doesn't bother me at all now, I was unaware of the redness and warmth. He also said to wait another 2 mos. for my mammogram even though the oncologist ordered it just to make sure everything is good and healed before we go squishing everything!

Hope healing happens as fast for you as it did for me.

Best to You,

Donna

Sheila 03-01-2007 07:12 PM

Mary Anne

Great news that the radiation hurdle is over...hope you will be feeling like a million in no time.

Jean 03-01-2007 07:18 PM

Happy Graduation !

Hi Mary Anne,
Another step forward in the treatment process! Best of luck and Congratulations.

Regards,
jean

Grace 03-01-2007 08:27 PM

Silver Sulfadiazine Cream

I had a very bad burn and rash during and after radiation. None of the creams they gave me at the radiation center worked, including biafine. I tried every cream, prescription and otherwise, and nothing worked. A good friend, a nurse, insisted that I push to get silver sulfadiazine cream. I did, and it worked amazingly well. I had instant relief for the pain and itching and within an hour the skin began to change color--red to white. It worked so quickly, it scared me silly. I thought I was losing my skin pigment. It continued to work and my skin looked wonderful in less than a week. Some doctors are reluctant to prescribe sulfur because it's an antibiotic and there's the fear of building up an immnuity. If you can get some, try it! I recommend it highly.

rinaina 03-01-2007 09:59 PM

Way to go Mary Anne. I found my 7 weeks of radiation flew by. Doesn't it feel great to not have to go there everyday anymore? Another chapter closed for you.

Belinda 03-01-2007 11:20 PM

Good one! It's great to hear you are through it! B

MGordon 03-01-2007 11:37 PM

Congrats!

Love and Light
Mel

Mary Anne in TX 03-02-2007 05:04 AM

Thanks so very much everyone . . . and for the suggestions for what to put on it! I'm doing good so far, a bit itchy at times, but I have stuff for that. As I waked this morning, I was internally gearing up for getting to treatment until I realized I didn't have to go! You know, it's the strangest feeling about finishing each type of treatment. I count off the days, stay focused on getting to the end and when the end comes I'm so excited to be done, but also it becomes harder and harder to leave the people who give so much to take care of me. I got so many wonderful hugs yesterday from the three radiation nurses/technicians who had taken care of me all these weeks. They were so careful with me and blessed me with such kindness that it made things so much easier. I will miss them. And it makes me think that at the end of June I will be stopping my every 3 weeks trip for Herceptin. I so admire and appreciate all the people who are making this journey as easy as possible and filled with loving care. I want it over and I also dread the day I leave them all. Love & thanks to you all, mary anne

KellyA 03-02-2007 06:07 AM

Congratulations Mary Anne! What a great feeling! It's so funny- the crisper I got, the happier I was- I felt like I was doing that much more to kick the cancer. Fry baby fry!!!!!! :-)

Not what will you do with all of your extra time?! :-)

Love, Kelly

SusanV 03-02-2007 12:26 PM

Hooray for you ! I was very surprised that the marks red, brown ,crispy etc, have all disappeared. I am hoping the same result for you !!

Happy for you

Ora 03-02-2007 12:39 PM

Keep using the cream

It is wonderful to be finished with the radiation. I finished my rads last summer but still have some edema in my nipple area. I had a lumpectomy. My rad Dr. said to continue putting a good creamy lotIon on my breast every day, even now. So keep using the cream and it's also a good way to check for anything unusual.

Joy 03-02-2007 02:10 PM

Congrats!

It is such a graduation of sorts, isn't it? I'm glad you are done and one step closer to finding a new normal. Every day we enjoy life-even the struggles-is a day we are doing something against this disease and I can tell by your smile that you do enjoy life.

I kinda missed the routine I got used to with radiation as weird as that sounds. The staff was so nice for me too. They gave me a cake at the end-it taste like a big Twinkie.

tousled1 03-02-2007 02:17 PM

Now you that have completed radiation the only hurdle left is to finish the Herceptin and remain NED.

janet11 03-02-2007 02:45 PM

Congratulations! I finished up one day before you and am red and sore in only one place (under my arm), so I feel I came out pretty good. Good luck on healing and being able to put rads in the PAST!

Janet

Carol H. 03-06-2007 02:54 PM

I had my last radiation treatment today!They were wonderful to me and will kinda miss them? For my burns they gave me Aquaphor( over the counter), Biafine (RX only) and a solution called Domeboro. They all worked pretty good until someone told me to put Aloe Vera from the plant on the burns. Take a stem from the plant, keep it in the refrigerator, slice thin layers and apply to the skin. It feels so wonderful, I could see the difference in my skin within the hour! CarolB

Lolly 03-06-2007 03:45 PM

Carol, while it's true that aloe vera is very healing, my radition nurse recommended that I get some bottled gel (more sanitary) from the local health store, keep it in the fridge and apply as needed...
The fresh leaves could have bacteria on them, and if you have any raw or weepy places the bacteria could be problematic.

<3 Lolly