HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   An Unexpected Benefit from Treatment (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57190)

Mtngrl 01-29-2013 12:23 PM

An Unexpected Benefit from Treatment

I am getting Herceptin (Trastuzumab) and Tykerb (Lapatanib) to treat my metastatic HER-2 positive breast cancer. It is controlling the cancer very well so far, but I happened to notice something else. I used to get eczema on the palms of my hands, especially in the winter. It would start with little blister-like bumps that would crack open and flake off, leaving sore, raw skin underneath that would sometimes bleed. A month or two ago I realized I haven't had eczema since I began cancer treatment.

There's more, though. The first symptom that caused me to seek a diagnostic mammogram was that exact same thing happening to my left nipple. It was, in fact, diagnosed by a dermatologist as eczema, and it responded brilliantly to the tiny tube of prescription ointment that he gave me.

HER-2 is a skin protein. Our type of breast cancer causes overexpression of this protein.

One of my daughters has a masters degree in biomedical science policy and advocacy. When I told her I seem to have stumbled upon an expensive cure for eczema she told me there's an eczema drug in development with either a "mab" or "nib" suffix. (She told me which one, I just can't remember what she said.)

Lani 01-29-2013 01:07 PM

Re: An Unexpected Benefit from Treatment

other cancer patients have noted improvements in their allergies. It may be that cancer (her2+ breast cancer in particular) does a number on their immune systems (or that the immune abnormality allows development of the breast cancer in the first place) so it may have to do with other things besides the fact that her2 is a receptor for epidermal growth factor. (It could be both factors and others besides)

Please add this to the long thread under Herceptin/tykerb on side effects/beneficial effects of herceptin so others can benefit from having all this info in one place!

Thanks!

Mtngrl 01-29-2013 01:55 PM

Lani--

Thanks for your feedback, and the suggestion to copy the thread to this forum.

I realize I'm not qualified to say what causes eczema or cancer, or speculate about why the drugs I'm on seem to be controlling both my cancer and my eczema. It could all be coincidental. But it's interesting.

Amy

KaiM 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

Hi Amy,
It is interesting indeed! We share the same cancer subtype and I am on the same treatment as you and responding well too! I used to suffer from psoriasis, but have not had a single flair up since my cancer treatment began. But I do suffer from overly dry, flaky feet now and very brittle nails.... go figure.

prolifejoan 02-04-2013 09:35 PM

I have neuropathy from Herceptin and sometimes my feet feel like blocks of ice. Still, I am grateful to be in treatment and have the chance to be NED. I am currently getting daily radiation and weekly Herceptin. I REALLY FEEL the Herceptin when it is going through my veins. Have always been sensitive to chemicals anyway. Still I am grateful for the hope that Herceptin treatment gives to us. Radiation will end the last week of February and Herceptin will go on until August. I am hoping to be in a clinical trial for HER2+ vaccination next summer.

Jackie07 02-11-2013 08:54 PM

Interesting!

I used to always attribute better skin to chemo and thought it was like a 'chemical peel'. The Herceptin effect certainly makes sense.