HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Bilateral pleural effusions (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48975)

LoriG 02-25-2011 07:51 AM

Bilateral pleural effusions

Hi all,

A little background....I have stage IV IBC with only a cross axillary metastatic lymph node making me stage IV. Up until now my organs have been clear. I have been NED since surgery April 2010. I was on Tykerb/Xeloda for a year and went off Xeloda in December., I remain on Tykerb and Tamoxifen. I have had some lung changes on Pet/CT and CT chest in both Septmeber of 2010 and December of 2010 that appeared to possibly be related to chemo induced pneumonitis. Both my onc, my rad onc, and a radiologist did not think the changes looked like mets. I have also had small pleural effusions that have come and gone. This entire time I have been completely asymptomatic, working out 5 days a week doing intense aerobic-type exercise.

Two weeks ago my whole family including myself had a nasty virus....cough/fever, etc. SIcne that time I have been exertionally SOB. I was pretty sure this was related to a pleural effusion as I also can not breathe when laying flat or leaning over. Yesterday I had a chest x-ray and I have moderate bilateral/symmetric pleural effusions. Obviously I need a tap and need the fluid analyzed. The thought is that the effusion is either malignant or possibly chemo/radiation-induced pneumonitis. I did have twice a day radiation to both chest walls so I was hit pretty hard with rads last year. I finished rads in June, however, and I think most pleural effusions associated with radiation occur within 6 months of radiation.

Anyone want to share some positive stories about pleural effsuions that turned out not to be malignant. Anyone had bilateral pleural effusions? I think malignancy is the most likely cause at this point although it does seem a bit odd that I have effusions on both sides that are pretty equal.

Thanks, everyone. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Lori

Jackie07 02-25-2011 08:30 PM

Re: Bilateral pleural effusions

Lori,

The Cleveland Clinic website provides detailed information about pleural effusion:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disord..._overview.aspx

Remember "when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses - not zebras." I'm sending
you good vibes.

LoriG 02-26-2011 06:12 AM

Thank you for your response, Jackie! I had over a liter drained off my left lung yesterday. waiting for cytology results that I am sure will not be good :-(

Thanks again!

Mary L 02-26-2011 09:00 AM

Lori, I am sending you my prayers and Best Wishes for a good report. Mary L

LoriG 02-27-2011 10:12 AM

Thank you, Mary!

Ellie F 02-27-2011 12:06 PM

Hang in there Lori. Please let us know what happens.I am thinking of you and hoping it's b9.

Ellie

schoolteacher 02-28-2011 09:31 AM

Thinking of you, Lori. Hope to hear from you soon.

Amelia

LoriG 02-28-2011 10:44 AM

Thanks, Ellie and Amelia.

No results from cytology lab yet. I was hoping today but it may take longer.

LoriG 03-02-2011 06:41 PM

Hi all,

My effusions were malignant as I feared. Starting chemo and hoping for the best.

Lori

Jackie07 03-02-2011 07:02 PM

Lori,

Sorry about the confirmed mets. Which chemo will you be getting? Hang in there.

Elizabethtx 03-03-2011 08:17 PM

I know this is terrible news and you did not want to hear mets. Please don't give up, get ready to fight back and kick the cancer out! We will pray for you and send out positive healing thoughts. Yiou are young and strong and can do this! Hopefully someone on the board will have good advice. Take care.

Trish 03-03-2011 08:40 PM

Not the news you wanted but you did seem steeled for the mets. I hope the treatment goes well and is not too debilitating.
Trish