HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Aromasin 8 or 10 years? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66943)

Pray 03-09-2018 10:50 AM

Aromasin 8 or 10 years?

After posting how much better I feel off the Aromasin and stopping at 8 years because of studies showing 8 years is plenty ... I'm being told that I should stay on the Aromasin till 10 year mark by family and friends. Hmmm has anyone here stopped at 8 years. I thought this was a good thing? Thank you for any thoughts and or experience.

Nancy

Lucy 03-09-2018 04:07 PM

Re: Aromasin 8 or 10 years?

I don't have experience with aromasin but if your doctor says eight years is sufficient, I would say it's okay to discontinue at eight years. What are the friends and family basing their thoughts on? Are they getting their information online (which I personally think can be dangerous!)? It wouldn't hurt to take their concerns to your oncologist to see what they have to say about them and see if their valid (if that makes sense).

Good luck!

Pray 03-12-2018 04:24 AM

Thank you for your response Lucy. They have looked on the internet and mostly they have known that I would be on it for 10 years. The bone loss and pain is real and I'm just thinking if I don't have to be on it that extra 2 years hopefully I end up better off... I don't know of anyone else who has stopped at 8. My oncologist has had others stop at 8. All though I don't know what stage they were going on. I am back on the Aromasin now for the next 6 months and its hard to get used to it again. Nothing I can't handle. I will rethink in 6 months. Hmmm.

Thanks again. :)

Donna H 03-12-2018 01:06 PM

I stopped after a little over a year..... I know it is a huge risk on my part but it's my decision for now. Tomorrow is my 4 year diagnosis anniversary. So I have only been dealing with all this a short time.

Pray 03-17-2018 01:50 PM

Thank you Donna, Nice to hear Im not alone. Hope and pray you continue to do well :)

jra40 03-19-2018 10:36 AM

Good question! I was supposed to stop in September after being on it for 6 years but my oncologist decided to keep me on it until 10 years. She is one of the best HER2+ oncologists in Pittsburgh so I guess I have to follow her advice. Still bummed about it but I guess it's better than the alternative....

tricia keegan 04-11-2018 01:40 PM

I was on arimidex, my Onc stopped it at eight years, then told me to re start for another two years taking me to ten years. I'm told now the newer results are showing five years is sufficient!

caya 04-12-2018 07:29 PM

I think each case has to be looked at individually - my onc. took me off at 5 years, (in July 2012, so nearly 6 years ago). I was nervous when many studies showed 10 years to be "better" - but my onc. said that for me, being stage 1, no nodes, etc. and the fact that I had developed osteoporosis, which runs in my family, the risks of doing 5 years outweighed any supposed benefits.
I felt so much better once I was off the Femara, I guess when you're on it, you "push through" feeling pretty crappy etc. My onc. reminded me that the AIs are very strong drugs, and there are risks taking them too, along with all the lovely side effects. So I do the best I can, and hope for the best.
Trisha, is this a new study showing that 5 years is sufficient? Again, I think a lot depends on your individual diagnosis - stage 1,2, or 3? Many nodes involved etc.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 04-14-2018 03:47 PM

Hi Caya, yes, my Onc said it's the latest she had and she attends ASCO each year. I'm sorry I don't have the details or link handy but I was okay with taking it for that long as I know we all are writing a new chapter here on A1's and Herceptin.