HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tribute to Brenda (Hutchibk) (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56095)

StephN 09-26-2012 11:47 AM

Tribute to Brenda (Hutchibk)

1 Attachment(s)
Our very dear friend has entered Hospice now, but there is no reason not to remember all the good times in the spirit she would want.

Barring a miracle, which is so fervently prayed for, her soul is making its way out of her body.

She came to Seattle a couple of years ago, spent the night at my home, and left a little of herself here.

This photo was taken last May in Austin, TX after an awesome lunch together at one of her favorite organic food cafes. This was after her previous episode in the hospital and she was getting back to her witty, gritty, life-loving self.

I am not short so this photo gives you an idea of her stature. Brenda is wearing a San Antonio Spurs shirt - a team she was almost rabid about supporting. Never missed a game.

Who else has Brenda stories to share?

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-26-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Tribute to Brenda (Hutchibk)

Brenda is such a remarkable Soul, I am just stunned by all this. Through the yrs, I have found her precisely as Steph describes so beautifully -- witty, gritty, abundantly open to mindbody workings and the studies that go along with that thinking, into supplements and good food, full of loving advice and right on analysis.

I've posted on the site Chrisy provided in another thread, telling us of Brenda's hospitalization. I read the hundreds of posts in her journal. They speak volumes about this adored Lady. Obviously she has touched so many, many more than I could imagine, profoundly. How blessed we are to know her.

As always, I hold out hope till the last breath, but hospice! I am shaking my head, unable to process the reality. My heart is heavy. I continue to send prayers and love to our Brenda. With one foot in the Spiritual Realm, it occurs to me, she has always been that way. A radiant Soul here on earth. A gift to all who know her. A unique human Being of rare courage. A blossoming flower in the snow.

Paty 09-26-2012 12:19 PM

Wordless and crying.....I remember about her taking us to this Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio where she loved this Mexican dinner called Enchiladas de Mole. When I got there, I could realize it was a true Mexican food restaurant and that the Mole (a sort of salsa) was made at a town located close to my hometown in Mexico. I felt honored by her as she enjoyed this Mexican dish which I love too. Brendis, sending you all my love.

Paty

Jackie07 09-26-2012 12:39 PM

This thread has her most recent postings: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...t=40043&page=2

If I remember correctly, she is the closest member (geographically) to me. Always thought we would have a chance to meet in person ...

Becky 09-26-2012 12:46 PM

Brenda is a pioneer and is the epitome of the word - self advocate. She taught all of us what it meant - really meant. She taught us all what it means to live your life on your terms and to enjoy.

I had the great honor of meeting Brenda during a SABCS meeting that many of us Her2ers on this board attended together. Of course, when leaving the meeting, we all kinda left separately having our own flights to catch - sometimes even on separate days.

During the meeting, we exchanged cell #s so we could meet up during the meeting. Brenda took the initiative to call each of us to say goodbye. Brenda cared about everyone on this board.

I will always remember her replies to us when one of us thought something was wrong - a new lump, getting scans for a symptom etc. More likely than not, most of these fears turned out to be nothing - benign or just a symptom of old age. She would say "yippee skippy, give it a name and buy it a drink"! I will never forget this. I am crying and praying for a miracle and if anyone can pull it off, it just might be Brenda.

Mary Jo 09-26-2012 12:57 PM

I was not as fortunate as many of you and never met Brenda. I came to know her here at her2 support. My heart, like all the rest of you, is sad. She is on her way to peace and rest but our world will be a little less happy. My heart goes out to her and her family. May she be at peace....may her family be comforted by their wonderful memories (that no one can take fom them) and may we all here be encouraged and motivated to live as she did.....with a fighting spirit...with a heart full of love and help for others and with dignity.

I also want to say, that it amazes me how we can truly love someone we never physically met. It just goes to show the bond we share. Through good and bad we really are "sisters" on this journey.

Peace.......

Mary Jo

Ceesun 09-26-2012 02:08 PM

heartsick.....Ceesun

Patb 09-26-2012 05:06 PM

Brenda
My prayers are with you. This is a sad day for all, what a life,
What a path you lead and how you were the best advocate
For yourself and all cancer survivors. I will have to adjust
My sails tonight for you.
Pat

Joanne S 09-26-2012 08:46 PM

Although I didn't know Brenda well. Her spunk and spirit always shined through on all her posts. My heart weeps....but know she is now fully encased with her family and friends' love while getting ready for her final journey. God Bless you Brenda!

Joanne S 09-26-2012 09:01 PM

What a great picture of both of you! Thanks for sharing!
Steph, great memories of the days you shared will remain in your heart forever.
I hope you are getting some pain relief and improving.
Huge Hugs!

sassy 09-26-2012 09:17 PM

I was fortunate enough to share a couple of those dinners in San Antonio with Brenda who introduced me to mole sauce.

I would guess that Brenda's "favorite" treatment was the infamous "wack-a-mole" for brain mets!

Brenda had a "take no prisoners" attitude. I remember her more or less stalking one of the more prominent oncologists in San Antonio to elicit his help. And of course he complied!

Its hard to imagine that Brenda won't turn this around and once again flash that fantastic smile.

Really hard.

mimiflower07 09-26-2012 10:29 PM

All though I did not know her, I feel I knew her spirit!! It's true your spirit is making it's journey to where it needs to be.
Thank you Brenda for your wisdom and determination. You are a great educator !!
Suzanne ( be at peace)

Paula O 09-27-2012 01:04 AM

Here is an article I saw about Brenda below. I did not know her personally but can see she's quite a gal who continues touching many lives.
http://curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/blog.showIndex/kathylatour/2010/12/12/When-living-becomes-a-fulltime-job

Thanks for sharing the photo, StephN.

Paula

P.S.
I am hoping the stat on brain mets incidence in Her2 positive cancer is incorrect in the article about Brenda--if anybody knows more about the research behind that statement, I would appreciate a discussion about the topic on another thread. I'd like to know more about it but not start a tangent in this thread giving tribute to Brenda. Thanks.

lkc Gumby 09-27-2012 12:01 PM

My prayers are with Brenda and her family. There is no other words I can say...

Ruth 09-27-2012 05:41 PM

This is so sad - I didn't know she was at this place. I haven't been here in so long...my heart breaks.

ElaineM 09-27-2012 09:05 PM

Brenda will always be part of our group no matter where here spirit flies. May God surround her and her family with love and peace.

Adriana Mangus 09-27-2012 11:15 PM

So sorry to hear about Brenda. She shared many recipes with me, I enjoyed the very green smoothies recipes. Will miss her.

Love and prayers to her and her family during this difficult time.

sarah 09-28-2012 06:28 AM

I hope any pain she has is being managed well. She's feisty so if anyone can prove them wrong and come out of hospice, it's our Brenda and I know we all hope for that. Everyone on this site is like a friend and it so sad to hear this news. She's a fighter and I know she "will rage against the dying of the light". I will continue to hope and think of her and Christine, such brave women as are all of you on this site. I don't want to see any of you go.
give her a big hug for me and my love,
love sarah

Shobha 09-28-2012 08:34 AM

This news is unbearable and leaving me with a very heavy heart - I simply love Brenda's strength and her strong spirit that always came through her posts! My prayers for her and her family.

karen z 09-28-2012 09:28 AM

I am in shock, crying and my heart is broken.
When I met Brenda all I could think was "she is so cool". She is so bright, funny, sarcastic.........and could tell the SABCS group just about anything they would ever need to know about San Antonio and just about anything else (and I did see the film on the Alamo first Brenda). Thanks Steph for the great picture. It is beautiful.
K