HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Survey: Have you consumed Aspartame Sweetener? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55723)

Kayakr01 09-04-2012 10:07 PM

Survey: Have you consumed Aspartame Sweetener?

Do you attribute your cancer to aspartame?

Reply here with quantities and for how long.

See 'Sweet Misery' available on Netflix, which documents why aspertame should never have been approved as a sweetener.

I am convinced this is causing cancer in many individuals; yet it is still out there. My fiance' drinks it daily, even after watching the above documentary. She has stage 4 breast cancer. I have been unable to convince her to give it up.

I avoid it myself, because it has an immediate affect on me; it makes me irritable and my heart rate increases.

jacqueline1102 09-05-2012 02:33 PM

Re: Survey: Have you consumed Aspartame Sweetener?

Hello Bob,

I have not heard any research about aspartame. I work with physicians also and have not heard that. When pulling the research the factors for breast cancer, which we can't control are being female, getting older, dense breasts, family history of breast cancer, women who start their period before 12, exposure to radiation for treatment of another cancer and the BRCA gene. Other factors, which we can control, recent oral contraception use (and I think more long term use), being overweight or obese, alcohol use, and physical inactivity. Having never had children or having your children after 30 poses a slight risk. There have been studies from the University of Chicago that are pointing to stress as being a variable which shows changes in DNA/RNA of mice. That was an interesting study. A recent study also discussed sleep disturbances associated with breast cancer risk. All this is very complex, indeed. Some people will say we don't know what causes it for sure. You may wish to look at the American Cancer Society about facts and such. I am so sorry that your family is suffering with this.

Jackie

Jackie07 09-09-2012 08:19 AM

I've never consumed Aspartame or any other types of sugar substitute. My side of family seems to have the HNPCC cluster (colon cancer, NHL, breast cancer, brain...) My late Mother-in-law used sweet-N-Low daily as she's diabetic. She passed away before turning 82 - 14 years after undergoing a quardruple by-pass surgery (her family/relatives seemed all died of strokes in their early 80's.) She began to show signs of dimentia in her mid 70's, but was never formerly diagnosed with Alzheimer's. None of her family/relatives had been diagnosed with cancer.

Below is an entry of Aspartme in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

StephN 09-09-2012 11:48 AM

Never used any kind of artificial sweetner myself. Hate the taste of the "diet" drinks. So, I can't say this is a factor in my cancer.

My dear hubby has type 1 diabetes and I finally got him to cut down on the artificial sweetners and switch over to Stevia a few years ago.

Stevia has a different taste, but it was not hard to get used to.

Sorry you have to deal with this cancer, but you are doing the right thing in watching Jen's diet. Maybe you could ask her to try the Stevia as an alternative.

I stopped using sugar and put honey in my tea and drink coffee with a bit of Stevia or organic sugar.

Tams20136 12-21-2013 09:36 PM

I have been drinking diet drinks for two years.My familynow tells me leave them alone since i have breast cancer..My father tells me...drink more water...

KDR 12-22-2013 06:53 PM

I'm with your father! Diet drinks trick your brain and can actually make you hungry. So if you are going to have a soda once in a while, have a real one.
JMHO,
Karen