HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Excess Pounds Raise Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence, Death: Study (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55640)

TanyaRD 08-27-2012 08:21 AM

Excess Pounds Raise Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence, Death: Study

New Study, New Results.

http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=667987

Sandra in GA 08-30-2012 06:03 PM

Re: Excess Pounds Raise Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence, Death: Study

According to this article, this applies to estrogen driven B/C and not HER2. Does anyone know of studies similar that relate to HER2?

Jackie07 09-01-2012 04:15 PM

Er+ and Her2+ are not exclusive. Many of us on the Board have the Er+ (and/or Pr+) component. Her2+ breast cancer is driven by the excessive Her2 genes. And my doctor would not give me the anti-Hormone meds (Tamoxifen) while I was getting chemo/Herceptin because studies have shown some counter effect if used concurrently.

Jackie07 09-01-2012 04:30 PM

Not sure 'fatty acid' is equivalent to 'dietary fats'. The abstract below states its link to Her2 Breast cancer:

Phytother Res. 2012 Jul 5. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4778. [Epub ahead of print]
Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibition by Amentoflavone Suppresses HER2/neu (erbB2) Oncogene in SKBR3 Human Breast Cancer Cells.

Lee JS, Sul JY, Park JB, Lee MS, Cha EY, Song IS, Kim JR, Chang ES.
Source

Department of Surgery, Chungnam National University Hospital, Daejeon, Republic of Korea.

Abstract

Fatty acid synthase (FASN) is a potential therapeutic target for treatment of cancer and obesity, and is highly elevated in 30% of HER2-overexpressing breast cancers. Considerable interest has developed in searching for novel FASN inhibitors as therapeutic agents in treatment of HER2-overexpressing breast cancers. Amentoflavone was found to be effective in suppressing FASN expression in HER2-positive SKBR3 cells. Pharmacological inhibition of FASN by amentoflavone specifically down-regulated HER2 protein and mRNA, and caused an up-regulation of PEA3, a transcriptional repressor of HER2.

In addition, pharmacological blockade of FASN by amentoflavone preferentially decreased cell viability and induced cell death in SKBR3 cells. Palmitate reduced the cytotoxic effect of amentoflavone, as the percentage of viable cells was increased after the addition of exogenous palmitate. Amentoflavone-induced FASN inhibition inhibited the translocation of SREBP-1 in SKBR3 cells. Amentoflavone inhibited phosphorylation of AKT, mTOR, and JNK.

The use of pharmacological inhibitors revealed that the modulation of AKT, mTOR, and JNK phosphorylation required synergistic amentoflavone-induced FASN inhibition and HER2 activation in SKBR3 cells. These results suggest that amentoflavone modulated FASN expression by regulation of HER2-pathways, and induced cell death to enhance chemopreventive or chemotherapeutic activity in HER2-positive breast cancers.

Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Jackie07 09-01-2012 04:37 PM

Looks like 'fatty acid' is closely related to 'dietary fats'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid#Production

'lizbeth 09-02-2012 11:03 AM

Hey Sandra,

I think that so many women are ER+ that news for this is almost generalized for all survivors.

I was just reading the other article about trautuzumab and a 4times+ chance of heart disease in survivors. I think we Her2 survivors better focus on being lean & mean for our best health. Besides, we can wear the skinny jeans that way, lol!

Sandra in GA 09-03-2012 02:17 PM

OK 'lizbeth! I know you are right. I just wanted an excuse for these extra pounds that I am carrying. I keep trying (maybe) but they will not leave this body. You will all think I am weird, but I was actually losing a little weight, and then I got scared the cancer may be coming back. I just had to show myself I could put that five pounds bcak on. Oh, what games the mind does play. I wouldn't tell anybody until I finioally admitted that I am sabotaging myself. How do I get past this?
I really need to lose weight ~ lymphadema, knee problems, and cancer. One would think that would be enough!

Jackie, thank you for your informative input.

sdstarfish 09-06-2012 05:55 AM

There was one thing they didn't mention in that article (unless I missed it :)). In addition to unhealthy fats, excessive sugar intake is often a factor in obesity, and subsequently, in cancer risk.

Sandra in GA 09-06-2012 06:56 AM

Lisa,

Congratulations on being NED 5 years!

From what I understand not only does excessive sugar cause obesity, but cancer cell also love sugar. I feel this played a part in my late husband's fight against glioblastoma. He was late onset diabetic. When he didn't watch his diet, his blood sugar went up thereby giving the cancer cells what they wanted.

One does have to be healthy to fight this disease.
Sandra

PS I love your website. Those recipies look delicious!

evergreen 10-15-2012 08:27 PM

I used to make all kinds of jam, and sadly gave it up! Now I use the fruit fresh, from the gooseberry and black currant bushes I had planted.
But, I adopted a new spread for my toast in the morning - I spray on a bit of olive oil, and sprinkle cinnamon over top. Then sprinkle it on my cut-up apple too. Love it now, and no longer miss my jam. Although I miss making it!

Sandra Kocher 11-20-2012 09:30 AM

Sounds like you are trying to do everything right! I am gonna try to stay healthy too. In Dec. , I am having a lumpectomy in my left breast. I was diagnosed with,
invasive ductal carcinoma
3cm
grade 2
er-pr-her2/neu overexpression positive

Very scared, will know more when Dr. tests the nodes, during surgery.
I'm 64...I live in Grants Pass, Or.
I'm praying for us all......take care, stay healthy
Sandra