HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Port Removal Question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60944)

Shirley 05-08-2014 10:59 PM

Port Removal Question

Hello all,

I just finished my year's worth of Herceptin. I won't be trading out my expander for something permanent until the Fall so I'm scheduled to have my port removed later this month. My surgeon was going to do it in her office but I wanted anesthesia so she had it scheduled in the hospital. Of course that means a lot of extra hassle.

I don't like the idea of having this thing removed in the office but thought I'd check with you all to see if anyone's done that.

Shirley

BonnieR 05-09-2014 12:41 AM

Re: Port Removal Question

Yes. Mine was removed in the office. It went fine although I was a little weirded out about it. I think I might have taken an Ativan or Valium first The doctor and I talked the whole time to keep,me distracted! Of course the area was numb. I felt some "sensations"as it was removed but absolutely no pain. I think it's commonly done this way
Keep the faith

LeahM 05-09-2014 05:25 AM

Didn't bother me at all having it removed.

jaykay 05-09-2014 06:49 AM

Mine was removed under local anesthesia as an outpatient. Was kind of weird but didn't feel anything and drove home afterwards by myself

snolan 05-09-2014 07:33 AM

My was done under a local had no problems.

BonnieR 05-09-2014 09:02 AM

Shirley, you're right about it being a hassle to have it performed as inpatient surgery. And there's the issue of receiving general anesthesia, etc. Lots of considerations. But you have to do what you are most comfortable with (although in that case, I'd spend half my life under general anesthesia!!). Just be assured that probably most of the time ports are removed as outpatients in doctors office
Keep the faith

Coux92 05-09-2014 09:48 AM

I don't have a port, but must say, Bonnie-love your comment. "But you have to do what you are most comfortable with (although in that case, I'd spend half my life under general anesthesia!!)"
I feel the same way sometimes!!
We really do need a "Like" button

Shirley 05-09-2014 10:19 AM

Thank you ladies for your comments! This is helpful and I think I'll have it scheduled in-office instead of at the hospital. Although, Bonnie, you are on the mark with the anesthesia comment!

Shirley

BonnieR 05-09-2014 10:37 AM

Just take a little helper like Ativan and get a ride home
Keep the faith

tricia keegan 05-09-2014 04:58 PM

I had mine removed in the office and it was painful but I think that was due to the Dr or area where the port was, good luck!