HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cancer won't wait--by Lance Armstrong (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41634)

Cal-Gal 10-29-2009 01:19 PM

Cancer won't wait--by Lance Armstrong

http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/10/2...cer/index.html

hutchibk 10-29-2009 05:18 PM

Re: Cancer won't wait--by Lance Armstrong

I respect Lance, but this is opportunistic and purposely vague, yet to me it is tremendously transparent. There are many issues to question in what he has written, but at the risk of starting an argument, I won't go there. I hope he, and all of us, continue to livestrong headstrong forever.

Cal-Gal 10-29-2009 05:30 PM

Thanks-all opinions respected by me---

One thing that rung true for me and more than a bit concerning is the statement below which is a statistic that I had not seen.

I am a single lady and lost my job due to my diagnosis --I am now on COBRA--no parents to move in with-both died of cancer---living w/friends--using my retirement to survive the financial aspects of this illness--not sure how things are going to work out--so this is concerning-that cancer survivors are more likely to be unemployed--for someone who has cancer w/no spouse or significant other and is looking for work--just another depressing fact..................I pray everyday for all of us.

"The disease also has a devastating personal economic impact. According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, cancer survivors in the United States were 37 percent more likely to be unemployed than those who have not been afflicted by the disease. This is a health and economic crisis on par with the worldwide recession."

Diane H 10-29-2009 06:10 PM

Yes insurance is a huge issue, the main issue, for me and my husband right now. What I took out of the article, which is very general, is concern from someone who has much in the world, that means something to me.

Often think much depends on the perspective and where you are in terms of insurance coverage, and how that influences a postion.

Right now staring at having none in the near future. My husband has insurance through the state but it costs 730 dollars a month and we can't afford that much longer, much less covering myself if I should lose mine. His condition is the more serious right now.

Lori R 10-30-2009 06:30 AM

The economic impacts certainly are frightening!!

The message I took away is that Lance understands how lucky he is and that the average American would not have a company to come to their rescue.

I too become very uneasy that while my employer has been supportive, my weekly Abraxane treatments and time out of the office are getting old. Certainly adds to my concern about future employment.

I agree....article is general, but hopefully it is one more (loud) voice to express the challenges that cancer warriors face. Surprisingly (my family included), there are a lot of people out there that have not been directly touched by cancer do not fully appreciate the challenges.

hutchibk 10-30-2009 10:18 AM

I was the average American when dxed with cancer, too. I had insurance like Lance, too. I didn't need a company to "come to my rescue to make sure my treatments were covered" - my insurance company paid and never questioned anything. However, I do butt up against denials on Medicare just about every quarter in the last 18 months. And I have no "company to come to my rescue."

Brenda_D 10-30-2009 11:48 AM

I am looking at possibly losing my insurance soon too. Hubby just lost his at the end of September. We're not eligible for Medicaid because we own some land (that's up for sale).
I'm not sure what I will do if I lose my insurance.

Cal-Gal 10-30-2009 12:25 PM

Hi Brenda,

I am so sorry you are facing this.

It is a shame that while we are fighting this disease we have to face such extreme financial stress. Be it job related-insurance related--or both--or just plain financial stress of any kind during the disease process and trying to figure it all out no matter if we are alone or married and or in a relationship--it is all so overwhelming.......

And with the diagnosis, our lives changed forevermore.

Diane H 10-30-2009 10:45 PM

Yes Lori, I agree, the more voices the better when it comes to helping others understand the difficulties with cancer diagnosis and insurance problems. As you say, so many are unaware, and sadly don't realize that it can happen to anyone, could happen to them.
I had some issues with my insurance during treatment but considered myself lucky as I knew quite a few who were constantly doing battle with their insurance companies.
My in-laws and mother are doing well with medicare but are in the "donut hole" as far as prescriptions go.
I think reform is necessary.
For now, here's hoping we can all hold on to our insurance.