HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   OKRA...! Who knew? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60370)

Lnmum 07-04-2014 01:34 PM

Re: OKRA...! Who knew?

Yum, fried okra! Love okra in vegetable soup and gumbo. Bring it on!

KDR 07-04-2014 04:02 PM

Here's I do it, and do it all the time since finding this out...
Just simmer some frozen okra (or fresh) in tomato sauce. Add some cumin and a bit of salt. Like eating pizza. I love okra, anyway. How much does one have to eat to benefit, I wonder.
Karen

SoCalGal 07-05-2014 11:19 AM

"Okra Kills 72% of Breast Cancer Cells & Slows Growth in Vitro" interesting report, Andi, you're getting our whole group eating okra!! Wish it were as simple as that...

It's easy to kill cancer cells in the Petri dish. The trick is finding something that works "in body".

Eating healthy and a good variety of whole foods is one of the ways that we can support our own bodies as they try to rid toxins and heal. Exercise and rest is another. Having fun yet another. Keeping your mind in a good place (thru god, prayer, meditation, or WHATEVER feeds your spirit) also part of whole body health. Everyday we must consider food as medicine, exercise as health, rest as healing, fun and spirit as love and life. Our bodies have been attacked by sneaky rapidly dividing cells - we must support and optimize our immune systems in hope that it recognizes these sneaky cells. And support it as it works to repair after each infusion of chemo and or targeted therapy.

Our systems can only handle a limited amount of toxins. In an ideal world we'd give up cosmetics, hair dye, nail polish etc. Even so there are still plenty of environmental toxins as well. I think it all plays a part in the tipping point, in why some get cancer and others don't.

For the some who do, it's apparent that our systems need more help to heal.

If you google search "kills breast cancer in vitro" you will see a long list!

Carol Ann 07-05-2014 11:27 AM

SoCalGal, I agree ... I never wore makeup, did not use deodorant (showers twice a day instead for years), no nail polish, ate well, exercised (Had to take a USAF fit test yearly) was not overweight, no family history, rarely had a glass of wine, the list goes on ... and yet here I am!

I swear its all a crapshoot!

Carol Ann

Kkmom 07-05-2014 06:37 PM

Andi,
I love this post - you never know what you are going to learn in this crazy world of cancer. I love okra, have it eaten all my life. My mother could make the best fried okra ever. One of my regrets in life is that I never learned how to cook it like her. Even as a kid growing up, we had a huge garden and my father always had at least 2 or 3 rows of okra. My brother and I would have to go out to the garden and pick it. We would wear socks on our hands, because it would sting our hands. But wow, did it ever taste sooo....good. Today, I love eating it pickled, stewed or fried. Yeah ---- at least I am doing something right on my eating habits.
What a great post and you took me back to a wonderful memory!!!
And yes, I live in the South - right outside of Atlanta.

Pam

Ceesun 07-05-2014 07:18 PM

Hey gals, "To each her own"...or Her own ...yikes! Seriously though, I am of Armenian descent and my grandmother and mom used to make okra when I was a kid. They cooked it with onions and a little tomato juice and I actually liked it. My husband is a veggie and he likes it, too! Guess I better start making it again. Cathy