HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Come Meet The New Me... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35423)

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-06-2008 09:25 AM

Come Meet The New Me...

SAY HELLO TO THE NEW ME

God has answered my prayers and returned my favorite onc to me, right back here in Boca (after 5 yrs as the head of the onc dept at U of Tenn). This doc was w/me from the getgo, in '95. I adore him in myriad ways.
He has decided it is time for me to graduate. Paul and I have considered giving up my dependence on Vit H (Herceptin) for 5 of the last 10 yrs, at this onc's urging. We weren't ready before.

Now is the time. This is my Now. This is my *Satori* time. (Zen for Presence.) I am forging ahead somewhat untethered. I am, of course, moving forward Vigilantly --taking every 3 mnth bld tests, ev 6 mnth CT scans and transvaginal pelv sonos. Annul diagnostic unilateral mammo and sono. (I had lobular. It tends to hide. And when you see it, it is very very progressed.) Self-exams mnthly. Onc exams ev 3 mnths.

I am keeping my port, as I have not a single good vein. My one good vein, in my right wrist, now has a hematoma (from last June's CT scan contrast). So I must flush ev 6 wks. And I will get a special order to use my port for my Dec CTs, which is what I have been doing since '98.

But -- my great news is that -- I AM FREE. I FEEL FANTASTIC! And the psychological impact is stunning. I had not realized the toll 10 yrs of H was taking. Going ev wk (for 3 yrs) and then ev 3 wks forever (it sure feels like that anyway), sitting in the chemo rm among many who are way worse off than me, has been tremendously trying. I thought I was coping well, ever cheerful, befriending some but losing too many. So it has been more grueling than I thought, I now see clearly.

Yes, I (almost) always have a positive outlook, but am so deeply saddened by the losses -- it has all rocked my world. I try in ev case to transmit what I have learned on my journey, to guide, in the hopes of not only inspiring but helping others to alter their destinies. Sometimes it works, and I have no words for the joy that brings. My friend Rochelle (since '69, back in Dix Hills, Long Island) swears I saved her life. I am grateful to have her remain in my life. She is a blessing to me.

So, I am moving forward. Yes, a bit apprehensively (I am in the guinea pig group after all), but I feel mostly jubilant!! Now is the first day of the rest of my life. I greet each day with -- THANK YOU FOR THE GIFT OF THIS DAY. I try not to waste a single one w/dread, sorrow, remorse, worry and so on.

I am moving onward and upward, on a wing and a prayer. My own, and any that are offered. I BELIEVE I can continue to be a miracle.

My former onc has submitted a paper to a med journal mentioning me and my remarkable success. I would like more company in this group, Ladies and Gentlemen. I am moving over and making lots of room for you. I am waiting for you, anxiously and with open arms. So, please, do your very best!!

Command your bodies to perform their given tasks well, bringing you health and STABLE reports... Have faith in your power to bring that to yourself. THE POWER OF THE ENERGY OF YOUR THOUGHTS IS MIGHTY!! Decidedly dwell only on positive ideas and images! Experience the bad scary thoughts and the emotions they bring and move away from them as fast as you possibly can. You deserve to live in joy, full of harmony and wellness. Don't consider any other possibilities. Refuse to allow such visions to fill your head.

I promise to stay close... How could I not? I love each and every one of you. My Sisters and Bros, Warriors of the highest order!
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gs...mals-butterfly

Mary Jo 09-06-2008 09:52 AM

That is wonderful news Andi. I am happy for you. I'm happy you have survived this long and shared your enthusiam for life and love with us. Also, I am happy for you that, at your oncs. urging, you also feel forward to move forward and be "free" as you say of treatment. What a feeling it must be for you. I'm sure a combination of many emotions.

I Praise God right now for you Andi..........for the love you share with each of us and those around you......for your good health........and for the Hope Eternal that awaits each of us.

Love & Many Blessings....

Mary Jo

Brenda_D 09-06-2008 10:45 AM

I'm also happy for you, Andi. It's a big step, but one that can release you, in a sense.
I know how nice it was for me, not to have to go get treatment every 3 weeks, and you've been doing it for so long.
It's freedom of a sort, and a big step forward.

Hopeful 09-06-2008 10:47 AM

Andi,

Best of luck to you moving forward into this next phase of your life.

Hopeful

Jackie07 09-06-2008 10:50 AM

Hello, New Andi,

So, so, so happy for you. Thank you for sharing the wonderful news. What an inspiration!

Don't forget to add the new milestone to your signature.

Ps. Love that new picture of yours.

Becky 09-06-2008 10:50 AM

Wow! Great news to soar with.

Patb 09-06-2008 10:52 AM

This is great news and what freedom for you.
Best of luck and take care.
patb

nitewind 09-06-2008 11:15 AM

Congratulations, Andi! That has to be the best feeling in the world. Freedom, glorious Freedom.
Big Hugs

WomanofSteel 09-06-2008 11:57 AM

You are a miracle Andi and I hope we all can be miracles like you! Welcome to the New You!

StephN 09-06-2008 12:51 PM

Dear Ms. Andi -

The "Cancer Apron Strings" are very strong! They can become even more of a lifeline for us stage IV types than the proverbial "Mom's Apron Strings." You used some very large and sharp scissors, my lady!!

When your onc's paper is published, let us know and try to give us the link. It should be fascinating.

Congratulations for taking this ENORMOUS step. When I took a 3-month Herceptin Holiday in 2007, that was not too frightening, but to cut loose completely is something else.

Having taken Herceptin myself now for 7 solid years, I understand what you mean by the word "dependence." however, I feel that in my case it is not quite the right word. MY "dependence" is more on my own body to keep working with the drug in order to keep any new tumors from forming. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/icon12.gif

Letting go of Herceptin for me would be more like keeping a team playing a good game without its coach.

Gerri 09-06-2008 01:06 PM

Wow Andi, your birthday really was a new beginning for you! I wish you many, many, many years of continued good health as you start this new phase in your journey.

naturaleigh 09-06-2008 02:05 PM

Congratulations Andi

I am happy for you Andi, because you are happy. I am praying that you have been on Herceptin long enough for the cells to have forgotten how to produce anything other than the good cells!! Please remember, that it is a woman's perogative to change her mind!! Please do not hesitate to do so if you start to feel uncomfortable!!

You are a fighter in every sense of the word, I wish I could become more like you!!

You are so loved on this site, I can only image how everyone who know you personally must feel. Keep up that strong spirit!!

ElaineM 09-06-2008 04:43 PM

Come Meet the New Me

Congratulations !! I am very happy for you. Go celebrate !!

Mary Anne in TX 09-06-2008 05:06 PM

Oh, Andi, once again you are a pathfinder! I have felt the stirrings of your thoughts and have wondered what was happening. How brave and forthright you are to take this step.
When I was 5 the doctors told my mom that if she picked me up and took me to doctors all over Houston to investigate my health that I would die. (Rheumatic fever, inbed for 5 months, shots daily...no improvement). My mom picked me up (forgetting shoes and belt) and off we went. How grateful I am to have been raised by such a courageous woman.
You're so brave and such a fighter and giver. Not easy what you are about to do. I've pondered such and have not yet found the power to do it yet. But I know that I must also.
I'm not sure what lays ahead, but I know too that I must experience it.
You're simply the best, Andi. Wherever this life leads you, you will take my prayers and well wishes for fulfilling your destiny. You know.... "to those to whom much is given......."
God's blessings on you always, ma

SoCalGal 09-06-2008 06:01 PM

Andi - I'm proud of you. You are a hero!

harrie 09-06-2008 11:37 PM

My hero!
Now you can take your newfound life, along with all the joy and love and peace that you have gained from all your experiences and fly high with nothing to hold you down!! You soar Girl and just enjoy that ride!!
Love and peace to you always....
HarrieCanarie

dhealey 09-07-2008 05:26 AM

Congratulations Andi! Enbrace your newfoud freedom!

Joan M 09-07-2008 05:29 AM

Andi,

Congratulations on your remarkable successful.

Thank you for all your wonderful posts on coping with breast cancer. You have truly inspired me.

Joan

Unregistered 09-07-2008 10:02 AM

You ARE the proverbial Phoenix ,Ms Andi...Mazel tov and kinehora to you! Thank you for being such a GOOD role model!
hugs always,marcia

juanita 09-07-2008 04:15 PM

Congratulations!