HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Question for long term survivors (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53918)

valleygirl 04-07-2012 03:27 PM

Question for long term survivors

I have a question for you long term survivors. What changes have you made in your life that you think helped in your fight against cancer? Did you change your diet or add supplements? what about exercise? Did prayer play a big role?

tricia keegan 04-07-2012 03:53 PM

Re: Question for long term survivors

I'm not sure I can be classed as a long term survivor at seven years out almost but truth be told I changed nothing, I have mixed feelings in saying I quit smoking four months ago but know I should have done this years ago but thankfully so far so good and better late than never!!!:)

P.S I've always walked an hour daily though!

Jackie07 04-07-2012 06:09 PM

Hi Valleygirl,

I've been a breast cancer survivor for more than 8 years (and a brain tumor survivor for 22) I've only recently (the past 1 year) developed a strong taste of
oatmeal+fresh fruits+rasins+nuts(walnut)+yogurt+little milk.
I've learned to make vegetable and/or shrimp omlets this past year and really enjoy them.

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.]) As for supplements, you need to be very careful while undergoing treatment as certain ones might hinder the chemotherapy effect.

Prayers are definitely a big boost for people of faith. Researches have shown positive results - our brain releases more endorphin after exercise which aids the immune system. Prayers, happy thoughts and meditation also boost the endorphin production.

I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes (two family members have been diagnosed with HNPCC-related cancer) But I've also got longivity genes from my parents (96 and 88 and still going strong) My goal has been basically to out-live my parents so they won't have to mourn the loss of their child.

[Exercise is very important... My oncologist has been pushing me to do more.]

Debbie L. 04-07-2012 07:29 PM

VG, at ten years out from stage III ERPR- breast cancer (sans Herceptin), I'm happy to be here answer your questions, but first I'd like to know a bit about why you're asking. If you think you're going to discover a common thread that "saved" any of us who are still here to respond to your question -- I warn you that such a thread will not be there. If there were any one single thing (or even a group of things) that made a big difference -- we'd know that by now ("we" being the big "we" of cancer care and research).

Plus, the research advocate within me has to point out that those who are not longterm survivors are not here to respond -- but if they were, their answers would almost certainly be quite similar to the variety of answers you're likely to get from those of us who ARE here. Cancer shakes people up, and changes are made.

I just deleted a long ramble on the topic, to await your answer as to why you ask the questions. I may be completely off-track.

In the meantime, I'll give my short answers: "yes", I made a lot of changes, but "no", I do not think they had any effect on the cancer's behavior. For any one individual, cancer is largely a crap shoot. We do the best we can, and some of us don't die of cancer, and some of us do. Some of us live long with cancer and some short. Believing that anything we do has much control over our cancer just does not serve us (or others) well, imho.

'Looking forward to this discussion, thanks for asking such good questions.

Debbie Laxague

Bunty 04-07-2012 08:22 PM

Hi Valley Girl, I'm 11.5 years survivor, the past 4.5 stage IV. I think it's important to be gentle on yourself, and not stress yourself to be doing crazy things that 'might' have a benefit. Being around now for quite a while, I've tried a lot of things. After the initial diagnosis, I took up a vegan organic diet for a year, and through treatment did organic juices three times a day (lots of washing up was one of the results!) Gradually, eased out of that way of life, but did continue with acupuncture and herbal remedies for well being. I still believe that these can be a great help during treatment times. I certainly don't do vegan or juicing anymore, and I don't feel 'guilt' about that at all!

A big change I made was to move out of a high stress corporate job, and work three days a week, which I still do. At first I meditated/prayed a great deal, and that again has eased off over the years, but still a key part of my day. Keeping active - walking, going to the gym also has helped.

I think the most important thing for me was always to have a sense that I too was contributing to getting well, and not just leaving it in the hands of the doctors. I think in some ways it makes you feel a little more in control, when things can be seeming to be out of control.

Cheers Marie

Merridith 04-07-2012 09:13 PM

I'm a seven year survivor.

Didn't change my lifestyle. I've always eaten really healthy; don't drink or smoke. Avoid sugar & fast food. Moderate exercise.

Don't meditate, pray or take any other supplements other than vitamin D.

Agree with the previous poster.......everyone is doing different stuff.

From what I've read - from the studies the scientists are doing - The main things that that lowers your statistical risk is to keep your weight down & exercise & consume vitamin D.

Sheila 04-08-2012 04:54 AM

As a 10 year survivor, 9 as stage IV, I can say i always try to keep a positive attitude....truly, lots of chemos have kept me going as long as I have....good Dr's who know their stuff, friends, family, and lots of prayers. I have lost many of my friends on this same journey, cant explain why they are gone, and I am here....much I feel is truly part of the bigger plan that we have no control over. I do try to eat healthier, exercise more , avoid some of the bad stuff.....but my life is not directed around it....I enjoy each day I am given, tomorrow isnt promised to any of us!

MJo 04-08-2012 06:53 AM

I remind myself a lot that life is precious and to make the most of it. How important is it?! Don't sweat the small stuff. All of the platitiudes are true.

That said, sometimes I follow my own advice and sometimes I don't. I left my high stress job and now do the same job in the same agency as a contractor. It gives me a little more control and a lot more objectivity. But I don't have a good income now and can't take the cruises I used to.

I go to the gym, although I've slacked off due to bad ankle sprain. I am an addict about food. Am amazed that, as a cancer survivor who knows the importance of diet, I can't lick the food thing.

I am a gardener and have not used pesticides or herbicides since my diagnosis 6 years ago. Oh the weeds. The weeds!

I still go to a 2x a month breast cancer survivor support group. Wonderful group of women. I am also open about being a survivor. I tell people.

AlaskaAngel 04-08-2012 09:20 AM

10 years out, still NED

Things I share with the others who have posted:

From Bunty:

A big change I made was to move out of a high stress corporate job, and work three days a week, which I still do. I meditated,... a key part of my day. Keeping active - walking, going to the gym also has helped.

I think the most important thing for me was always to have a sense that I too was contributing to getting well, and not just leaving it in the hands of the doctors. I think in some ways it makes you feel a little more in control, when things can be seeming to be out of control.

From Meredith:

I've always eaten really healthy; don't drink or smoke. Avoid sugar & fast food. Moderate exercise.

The main things that that lowers your statistical risk is to keep your weight down & exercise & consume vitamin D.

From Sheila:

I enjoy each day I am given, tomorrow isnt promised to any of us!

From Jackie:

I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes

(but also good genes - many in both sides of my family with bc, only one who died back in the 1950's due to late diagnosis, and none who did chemo)

and

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.])

From DebbieL:

Plus, those who are not longterm survivors are not here to respond -- but if they were, their answers would almost certainly be quite similar to the variety of answers you're likely to get from those of us who ARE here. Cancer shakes people up, and changes are made.

From Tricia, about making changes:

.....so far so good and better late than never!!

From MaryJo:

I left my high stress job and now do the same job as a contractor. It gives me a little more control and a lot more objectivity. But I don't have a good income now and can't take the cruises I used to.

and

I am a gardener and have not used pesticides or herbicides.

From RB:

Balance types of fat intake. I do think we are what we eat, and that fats and inflammation are worth trying to understand.

From my life partner:

Practice assertiveness (I'm still learning the "be gentle" stuff.)

-AlaskaAngel

valleygirl 04-10-2012 01:51 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I do need to make allot of changes. I eat way to much sugar, fast food and don't excercise at all. As soon as I start feeling better I'l be making those changes.

Mary Jo 04-10-2012 08:48 PM

Almost 7 years and no real changes. I exercise 5 - 6 days a week, but I did before cancer too. I do try to eat well.....keep my weight in check....but I did that before cancer too. Some days I do awesome and some days I don't. The one change that I have made, that I did not do pre-cancer was supplements. I remember at first taking any and all that even hinted at there being a benefit, but I don't do that any more either. I take fish oil....Vit. D3. (5000 i.u.) and turmeric. That's it.

The one change that really did evolve since this journey began is that I am a HUGE lover of life and all it has to offer AND all I have to offer it. God has changed my world and it's no longer about me but about what God can do through me to make life better for others. For as long as the Lord chooses to have me here, I will live it in service to others and be thankful for the good health I now enjoy.

Great thread..thanks for starting it.

Mary Jo

Mtngrl 04-16-2012 04:49 AM

I echo Debbie's question about why you want to know, and her observation that there is no one thing that can fix this. If there were, it would be known.

I think the only reason to make any change after a cancer diagnosis (or any big bump in one's road) is if it makes your life better now. Better food, less stress, less anger, more exercise etc. might make one happier and more fun to be with. It might result in greater enjoyment of life. Those outcomes, to me, are reason enough to give it a try.

I ate well, exercised, prayed and meditated before my diagnosis. Obviously, none of that kept me from getting cancer, because here I am. I'm not a "long term survivor" yet, and I may not make it. Cancer has made me choose to live in the present more. It's not a survival strategy so much as a decision to give up trying to control things over which I have no control, and to avoid wasting precious time. The present moment isn't much, it's just all we have.

LoisLane 04-16-2012 12:41 PM

Hi Valleygirl I am not exactly a longterm survior I will be four years out in November. I am happy to share with you what changes I have made since my diagnosis. I certainly
try to eat healthier, buy organic when I can and generally have become more aware
of reading labels etc. I walk every day with my dog and am trying to get to some exercise classes. I think any changes to diet and exercise cancer survivors make is the same
that everyone should do for a healthy lifestyle. Take care.

Jackie07 04-16-2012 02:43 PM

Correction: ("The news of my [family member's] death has been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain" :)

Need to make a note that *nobody in my family has died of cancer so far. The three of us who've got cancer: Me - soon-to-be 22 year brain tumor survivor, 9 year breast cancer survivor; 2nd Brother - 3-year colon cancer survivor; Mother (turning 89 in late summer) - 14-year Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma survivor. We have all gone through surgery/chemo/radiation - whatever the doctor said we needed to do, we did it. Mother was a vegetarian (not excluding eggs and milk) for about 10 years before her NHL diagnosis. She now eats everything. Physically we've all been pretty active compared to the general population. Mother participated in folk dancing, Chinese Kungfu dancing - sword and fan, and Taichi at different times in her 60's and 70's. 2nd Brother swimmed on weekends. And I tapped my feet on the floor while channel surfing/keyboarding... :) (Was on track teams and basketball teams while in school.) Had worked consecutively for more than 22 years before being forced to 'retire' in mid 2008. The cancer cluster in my family fits the HNPCC definition.

*AlaskaAngel's posting about my family cancer history:

From Jackie
I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes

(but also good genes - *many in both sides of my family with bc, only one who died back in the 1950's due to late diagnosis, and none who did chemo)

and

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.])

evergreen 04-30-2012 07:48 PM

I guess each of us takes a different road in our attempt to have some control over our future. I have read some research on cancer-fighting foods (admittedly only at the lab stage), and try to incorporate those foods into my diet, I exercise vigorously every other day and I try to keep control over my fears by enjoying the moment and appreciating each day. Realistically, I know that the medical interventions are likely the most likely to help me. But I feel that my own behaviours cannot hurt, if they are healthy ones.