HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need To Start Gemzar Soon, Need Advice On Side Effects! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35914)

Lida 10-02-2008 07:43 PM

Need To Start Gemzar Soon, Need Advice On Side Effects!

Dear her2 friends,
After several months of Tykerb/Abraxane, I have experienced "dangerous" progression. I was told I must change chemo right away! As you can understand, it is a scary time for me. I have been offered Herceptin/Gemzar. I have experienced quite a bit of diarrhea during my Tykerb/Abraxane. What kind of side effects are common with Gemzar? I am especially wondering about DIGESTION and about BLOOD COUNTS. If some of you wise women can let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Knowing experiences and views of the her2 friends in this group means so much to me and I am so grateful for all of you in this group. Lida

BarbM 10-02-2008 09:10 PM

Hi Lida,
I've been on the Gemzar/Herceptin combo since July. Originally, to be infused 3 weeks on and one week off, I now have it every 2 weeks since my white count dropped. I get a shot of Neulasta after each tx. Thus, I've been able to stay on it. So far, I'm basically stable. My latest PET shows reductions in most of my SUV's (mainly the 4 spots on my liver).
No miracle combo, but I'm getting ready for hyperthermia rads on some skin lesions so won't be able to stay on Gemzar too much longer. As far as any other side effects....just kinda feel out of it for a few days after.
No hair loss!!!!! No digestive problems. Blood counts are good. Been working fulltime, too.
Best of luck...hope it's your miracle combo!
~Barb

Lida 10-05-2008 07:14 PM

Need to start GEMZAR NOW, SIDE EFFECTS YOU HAD?

Dear Barb and her2 group,
I am starting Herceptin/Gemzar in a couple days and the long possible side effect list for Gemzar looks daunting and scary. Barb, thanks for your reply telling me your experience on Gemzar; I am glad you tolerate it pretty well and did well with digestion! Did you get any nausea or low platelet counts? Did you take any premeds before the infusion and how long did the infusion last?
If anyone else has had good or bad Gemzar experiences (such as digestive or blood or platelet issues), I would love to hear from you too. Lida

Carolyns 10-05-2008 07:48 PM

Hi Lida,

I was on Gemzar for liver, skin, bone and node mets. It did a great job for me and I was able to go off chemo for a while after 6-months on Gemzar. The liver mets are not seen on scans. I used Zofran as a premed and continued with Zofran but found Gemzar easy although it made me a bit more tired than not treatment at all... sounds funny.

I was on 2 weeks and off 1 and also had low white counts. I did not have digestive issues.

I wish you luck with it. I am on Navelbine now and I am having a rougher time with it and I do have digestive issues.

I wish you well!

Carolyn

Faith in Him 10-05-2008 07:48 PM

Hi,

I have been on it since May. I tolerate it well. The infusion takes about 30 minutes. I refused the decadron so I have Zofran as a premed. So far it has been easy to do. I devote one day to chemo and then I able to do the rest of my life.

I hope it is good to you.

Tonya

Sheila 10-06-2008 05:09 AM

Lida
I have not been on Gemzar YET....but I am hoping it is an easy drug for you....side effects are so different for each of us....you will be in my thoughts that this drug is smooth sailing

doh2pa 10-06-2008 12:39 PM

Hi Lida,

I've been on Gemzar, Tykerb and Avastin since early July. I am on weekly infusion (3 weeks on, 1 week off). It has been one of the easiest chemos for me. I take a premed for nausea (my onc used Iloxy) but have had no stomach issues. I feel tired the day of and a little tired the day after, but the rest of the week is fine. No hair loss, no mouth sores. My white count goes up and down but has not gone below 3.0. My RBCs have stayed strong and platelets too. It has worked for me so far, scans in two weeks.

Hope it works for you!

jones7676 10-06-2008 09:05 PM

I do have a bit of nausea problems and I do have it two weeks in a row. I get a white booster every two weeks. However, I've been on chemo for a long time and many types. I've certainly had other treatments that I had a much harder time with. Good luck and I hope you do great.