HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Short stints on therapies for stage IV (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52592)

KristinSchwick 12-21-2011 02:31 PM

Short stints on therapies for stage IV

Hey stage IV Ladies,
Trying not to get myself to worked up- as my tumor marker is climbing and I have a PET scan scheduled after Christmas.

Is there a trend where some patient's progress more rapidly than others on therapy? I only got 5 months on Tykerb and Xeloda before progressing, and now with my markers climbing I worry that I am progressing on the Gem/Carbo/Herceptin after only 4 treatments.

From my science background, it seams possible that some cancers are more unstable and become resistant faster than others. But I really really really want to hear stories of women where this was not the case. So how many therapies and for how long was everyone on these. And when possible did you reach NED?

Thanks and hugs to all those who are fighting.

Elizabethtx 12-21-2011 03:24 PM

Re: Short stints on therapies for stage IV

Hang in the there! You are right that some CA is resistant quickly..it is smart little buggers....but there are so many options today. There will be a combination that is the perfect fighter! Stay on top of it and don't be afraid to switch quickly if it doesn't seem to be working! Are you able to seek out a TDM1 trial? I'll be praying for you and your sweet little one who needs his mommy!

dawny 12-22-2011 02:22 AM

You have my best wishes also. I was on Stage 1V on Abraxane and Herceptin, and had a complete response, and am now NED. I think it really is about finding the right combination for you

Good Luck
Dawn

Sheila 12-22-2011 05:42 AM

Kristin
I am one of those people who seems to need to "try them all", and as you can see from my signature, there have been many. I have never reached NED,,,yet, but I keep trying, and until then I am grateful for the time any treatment gives me. Stable can be a good thing too!
Hope this helps, stay strong...I always say, some day my prince of chemos will come!

choyces 12-29-2011 08:06 PM

Kristin,
I was stage IV Her2Neu in July 11. I had 3 tumors in my r. breast, cancer in my lymph and in neck and in my lungs. I was started on weekly treatments of paclitaxel, and herceptin and daily tykerb. I was NED Dec. 12, 2011. I wish you the best. I also took 3 T daily of organic sulfur, an important oxygen tranporter.

KsGal 12-31-2011 12:21 AM

I agree. Some cancers are more aggressive, and you just have to find the right combination that will keep it in check. Keep the faith....

Sheila 01-04-2012 07:05 AM

Kristen..just a bump up to see how you are doing since the scans....my CEA is on the rise again too so I am expecting a treatment change next week. Stay strong and positive!

KristinSchwick 01-04-2012 07:24 AM

Sheila,
My tumor markers again climbed to now 114, and the PET showed mild progression in the bones. Some spots got brighter but some actually got dimmer, and there were 2 new tiny spots on my tail bone. My oncologist decided that the Gem/Carbo wasn't worth it, so he's put me back on Tykerb and continuing on Herceptin and Xgeva. He is encouraged that the lungs and liver are still clean, because it is unusual for Her-2+ mets to be isolated to the bones.

On a good, but odd note- he is thinking about trying some estrogen suppression. This is odd because originally my primary was Her-2+++, ER-/PR-, but it is possible that it would have converted to ER+. To me this would be a miracle- what hope I would have, if I can get yet another targeted therapy and avoid further harsh chemo and start tamoxifen. He said that to biopsy the bone is quite painful and sometimes the decalcification process to repeat the ER and PR receptor testing can make the results inaccurate. But if I responded to tamoxifen, there is no reason to do the receptor staining. He said its also a possibility that the original staining was incorrect- grrr. Thanks for all your concern and I will keep you all posted and you are always in my prayers for healing too.
Huggs
Kristin

Sheila 01-04-2012 07:28 AM

Kristin...hoping the new plan will do magic...I too often wonder of my tumor stats have changed from ER neg to Positive ...on my question list for next week! Thanks!