HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   cost of herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46371)

pie 08-12-2010 06:03 PM

cost of herceptin

In reading about herceptin on the internet, I have come across articles giving the high cost of herceptin treatment. Does the insurance company pay the cost? Is the patient responsible for some of the cost? What does this treatment cost?

candlegranny 08-12-2010 07:16 PM

Re: cost of herceptin

jsut got a bill from my oncologist office. my herceptin was $8598.00 my insurance covers it. usually insurance companys have a Maximum Allowable Charge (MAC) the doctor agrees to take the MAC and they write off the rest. you dont have to pay that difference. That is how my federal blue cross and blue shield works anyway. You can call customer service and ask them directly. they will answer all your questions according to your plan and policy.

MaryAn 08-12-2010 09:36 PM

I've had so many procedures and meds that I have reached all of my deductables so I'm coasting til Sept. 1st. Kind of sucks that I had to get to this stage.

Level 2 Hec2+ IDBC
had biopsy, lumpectomy, mastectomy, 2 our of 6 rounds of chemo. Will be getting a shot to increase WBC counts since they were kind of low.

Mine started with a pain in my breast, which everyone tht I talked to KNEW it wasn't cancer, I knew better. We all know better don't we. Glad I found this site. And glad that there is Hecepting. Saw the Living Proof movie. It was pretty powerful.

Mary Ann

msleslie 08-20-2010 06:06 PM

@candlegranny - was the $8598 per infusion treatment or total cost for what duration of time? I just had my first chemo dose yesterday and I am curious about the cost involved. Thanks

ElaineM 08-21-2010 11:22 AM

See my post about the Herceptin drug assistance program in the Breast Cancer News section. I posted a link to information about that. Anyone needing assistance to pay for Herceptin can apply through the drug company's assistance program.

pibikay 08-22-2010 03:20 AM

Here in Chennai , India one course of Herceptin 450mg costs Rs115000/-(US$2500app) + Oncs fees, hospital charges

candlegranny 08-22-2010 04:14 PM

msleslie that was for the herceptin only. there was a charge for the saline and the office and the room. it lasts only 30 minutes for herceptin.. but they draw blood first and give me the fluids so i am there for an hour.

Unregistered 07-25-2011 01:46 PM

Mr.Pbk,
how is your wife after all the therapy with herceptin??did it improve her condition quite dramatically as it states in the search manuals.
we are not very sure of the therapy and would be very happy if you please reply.
regards,
spr.

pibikay 07-31-2011 01:45 AM

Hema is much improved now.9 courses of herceptin.Then on Tykerb & Xeloda.Tykerb & Xeloda not covered by insurance as no hospitalisationis there.In our case the Therapy is effective

Sheila 07-31-2011 04:10 AM

Way back a few years I did a cost of Herceptin thread as it seemed mine was the highest price in Chicago. Lots of members emailed be their dose, whether it was weekly or every 3 weeks and the charge for the drug alone. Armed with that, and after going to another hospital 1x to get Herceptin, I contacted the hospital, and Genetech to get and explanation for the high charges. When they refused to do anything, I filed a case with the Illinois attorney general......the hospital agreed to drop the price and back track 2 years and credit insurance and individuals. Come to think of it, the price has been slowly creeping back up....I just looked and my every 3 week dose of 460mg was 18900.00......might be time to contact someone again. I have PPO insurance, and they pay half, which is accepted by the hospital. I pay nothing....but many DO have to pay out of pocket...it is amazing what the different areas charge for the same drugs.

Paula O 07-31-2011 04:47 AM

The cost of our cancer treatment is mind boggling. There are a lot of people making some mighty big profits.

Paula

ArmyMomLisa 08-01-2011 01:16 PM

Yes, they are spendy. (I did the numbers on JUST the drugs...including TCH plus the Neulasta shot and total treatment came to over 273K) But when gobsmacked by such numbers, I try to remember to be thankful for insurance, and for all the research those dollars (hopefully!) represent.

Hubby's first reaction when I told him the amount was "Wow, we could've had a house!" then "but I'd rather have YOU!" :-) It's worth it. (Or that's what I say to myself in the wee hours if tempted to stress about money. Those deductibles add up too!)

I have heard of some people who skip the Neulasta shots. Mine were 8,500 each, so can see the benefit, if you and your dr. agree that your health isn't compromised by not taking it. Anyone else skip that portion of the treatment because of cost??

sarah 08-08-2011 12:40 AM

Here in France (totally paid for by the universal health coverage) cost is: 2200 euro per treatment every 3 weeks, that includes, hospital chair, nurse, etc but the blood test is extra (also covered) and I'm not sure of its cost - maybe 100 euro? for complete blood count, organ function, CA count, etc.
Love the system here it is soooooo humane and friendly and caring and no hassles with insurance companies. I didn't come here for the medical treatment but I'm very grateful here is where I happened to get sick again.
An Englishman just collapsed in Antibes, rushed to the hospital, they found he had throat cancer and immediately operated, gave him chemo and radiation and the French system picked up the bill - he has no coverage or rights in England (he left there over 10 years ago to work on boats around the world) but he fell ill here so their belief is, we take care of people in our country. Amazing, now he's on his way to recovery and about to start working again. Guess where it plans on living and paying taxes!

myMom 02-08-2012 01:45 AM

What's the best place in india to go for Herceptine..My mom had gone breast cancer stage3. Taken 3 chemo FEC ...Now planning for Herceptine..Please suggest the type of herceptine and cost ?

pibikay 02-08-2012 04:27 AM

Hema is having her treatmen in Apollo Specialities Hospital Chennai.The hospital pharmacy supplies Herceptin. It cost in 2010 Rs 116000/-app.All the best to your mom

s sharma 02-19-2012 07:00 AM

My Wife poonam 40 years is suffering from Breast cancer her Chemo and radiotheropy is completed but Herceptin is going on total 9 cources of herceptin is suggested by the doctor so 6 cources is still pending i am purchasing Herceptin thru Rosh company Delhi and its cost is 95000/ - for 440 MG

Sunil Sharma
+91-7830804008
Meerut India

Mother 05-29-2012 05:34 AM

I'm from Egypt and the price here is about $3000 for the 440 mg
Sharma, I'm thinking of buying it from Roche India if the price is 95000 (which is about $1800). Do you think it will be easy?

chrislmelb 05-29-2012 05:42 AM

Here in Australia I pay nothing for the Herceptin and i am very gratefully. Thank god for Medicare and the Australian health system.

pibikay 05-29-2012 05:58 AM

Best of luck mother

Rolepaul 05-29-2012 06:32 AM

Herceptin goes to the hospitals at $2500 for a 440 mg vial. That might seem high, but knowing what goes into the manufacturing of the drug (and the research to get it to market) is not out of line. The med center here charges $1810 for 80 mg, or almost four times what they buy it for. I am not sure how to get it OTC and how to confirm it is stored correctly the whole time. Most insurance companies in the US have a set deductible and once that is reached everything else is pretty well paid. As mentioned, Genentech/Roche will asist with drug payment if you make less than $100,000 per year and do not have insurance. Good luck to all.