HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Reconstruction date has been bumped/tips? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58792)

linn65 08-07-2013 11:04 AM

Reconstruction date has been bumped/tips?

Well, I thought I was going to have until October 24th until I had my DIEP flap surgery done. However, they put me on a cancelation list and they called yesterday and now I am scheduled for August 28th!! YIKES!

I have decided to keep my right breast despite a couple of benign tumors because it seems like it really doesn't matter on the outcome if I have it removed. I hope I am making the right decision!! With the Diep flap it is only 1 shot, but I don't want to take the right side off and reconstruct both and have no sensation, or numbness or whatever else on the right side like the left.

Now, I am just working on wrapping my head around reconstruction happening this month!! Wow, I cannot believe it is finally happening.

My last Herceptin will be August 20th, the reconstruction on the 28th. Oh and in between August 17th Relay for Life walk. Then it is heal up and be done for the most part. I mean two other minor outpatient surgeries in 4 months for nip and tuck, the the last nipple reconstruction or whatever it is called.

Any of you have any things I should know or do in advance??? Before or during my recovery???

I think I am still in shock and a little nervous about surgery! I have been in the hospital over night twice; once having my son, and 2nd having the masectomy. They say I will be in hospital for 4 to 5 days.....Dang!

Appreciate any thoughts, tips or things I should know in advance!! Thanks in advance! :)

'lizbeth 08-07-2013 11:35 AM

Re: Reconstruction date has been bumped/tips?

Wow, crazy.

I'm doing a Relay on the 17th too.

I think you should read about what Catia did with the Brava bra.

If you want to take off the other breast too, this might be a better reconstruction option.

Less scars, more work on your part.

snolan 08-08-2013 07:34 AM

I didn't have the DIEP, had the lat flap done. I think one of the things that was harder then the mastectomy was the fact you have two surgical sites. Having pain and stiches in two areas was a little harder. Some of the same issues getting your range of motion back, drains (bleh) stuff like that.
Suzanne

vlcarr 08-10-2013 06:38 PM

I had Diep a couple of years ago. It's a rough surgery but I think it's kind of a plus that you stay in the hospital so long. I wish I could remember all the details! Be prepared for very little sleep the first 24 hours. They came in every hour with a doppler type device to listen to the belly boob (that's what I call mine) to make sure it was thriving so hence the no sleep. I think after 24 hours they decreased to every two. They also gave me a lot of shots (they didn't hurt) in my belly. I think I may even still have some photos afterward so PM me if you would like to see them.

I had some healing issues and ended up with a hernia when my dog pulled his leash while I had it wrapped around my waist. This was many months out so I never gave it a thought. The hernia then came back and I ended up with a mesh repair which has since caused problems that I now have under control. No regrets here. I've been very happy with my decision. Having lymphedema in my arm and a bad shoulder made the prosthetic impossible for me.

It will be OK and you will do great!!