HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Long term survivor checking in! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67956)

Ruth 06-05-2019 10:01 PM

Long term survivor checking in!

Just logging in to give some hope out there that I clocked 16 years today as a stage 3 survivor. My daughter was nursing when we found the cancer & this past week we got her a car! I wanted to survive to make it to the point where she would remember me. I wouldn’t be just some smell that she knew but couldn’t quite place. I wanted to make it a point where I could tell her so many things about my life and she remembered my voice telling her. I’ve done that now for my baby 16 year old girl. Now I want to make it until she’s in college 🙏.
Keep fighting; reading; advocating for yourselves & ALWAYS dream big.
Thank you Herceptin. Thank you Dr Slamon & all the women before me. Thank you to all who supported me & encouraged me. Thank you to life. Love it ladies and gents. Live life to the fullest that you can.
Hugs 🤗
Ruth

DianaMK 06-06-2019 06:07 AM

Re: Long term survivor checking in!

Thank you for sharing! Wishing you many more years to share with your family. I am a 9 year stage 4 who has gotten the greatest blessings, my two granddaughters (5 and 3). May God continue to bless you, too.

Laurel 06-06-2019 01:48 PM

Thank you, Ruth for the inspiring words. Congratulations on your sweet 16!

Bunty 06-06-2019 08:42 PM

Wonderful words Ruth, and may there be many more years ahead for your dreams to be fulfilled.

I'll be 19 years in December since first diagnosed, and 12 years in October since Stage IV diagnosis. I give thanks every day, particularly to my wonderful and dedicated medical team. I've been seeing the same oncologist since the original diagnosis.

Best wishes, Marie

caya 06-07-2019 01:40 PM

Thanks for checking in Ruth! I think it's important for the newly diagnosed to see posts like this from long term survivors.

I'll be 13 years out from diagnosis this October.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 06-07-2019 02:11 PM

Wow Ruth, congratulations!! I'm hoping for fourteen years in two weeks and just awaiting results of my Mammo. Delighted to still be here and grateful as you are for Herceptin, wishing you many more years of health and happiness.

Donna H 06-10-2019 08:18 AM

Love these posts! I am five years since diagnosis so it is really encouraging to hear of long term health, wellness and living life from y'all!! Thank you and congratulations.

jaykay 06-12-2019 05:33 PM

Such great news from all the long term survivors! I’m almost 7 years out from my second diagnosis and I echo Donna’s thoughts.

Jean 07-07-2019 06:24 PM

Ruth wishing you many many years well after your daughter graduates college.
I understand your feelings very well as my son had started his Junior year in college when I was dx. I had thought I would not see him graduate. Well I celebrated my 14 years this past spring. He graduated and had started his own business. Life is going on.
I wish all the same for you.
Hugs,
Jean

Mary Jo 07-21-2019 07:18 PM

That is wonderful news Ruth. I am happy for you. Thank you for sharing this encouraging words with us all.

Catherine 07-27-2019 07:23 AM

Congratulations Ruth! Wonderful words of inspiration. Love it that your daughter is now sweet sixteen and that you are healthy and happy! Your words are powerful!

candlegranny 11-07-2019 07:51 PM

Congratulations

Lien 11-17-2019 03:29 PM

Congratulations Ruth! I know the feeling. Just had my mammo and all is fine. It will be 16 years in January for me.

I've seen all my boys grow up (ages 19, 24, 28 and 32 now) and am looking forward to my new life, as I'm divorcing my husband. He's not a bad person, but he has been holding me back for over 20 years. We tried marriage counselling, but he refused to prepare for the sessions, didn't read the stuff the therapist suggested and on the whole didn't show any inclination to change anything, I called it a day.

When I turned 60, I decided that the rest of my life will be me-time. I've taken care of my family for all these years, was the main breadwinner for many of them, dealt with crisis after crisis - mostly on my own, so I think I deserve that.

I wish all of you enough me-time and lots of joy.

Jacqueline

tricia keegan 11-19-2019 04:09 PM

Sending good wishes to you also Jacqueline, you're a strong woman and I'm so glad you're now thinking of yourself and putting you first.