HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pain months following treatments (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57701)

lasarles 04-01-2013 07:40 PM

Pain months following treatments

Hi all, I'm having a lot of annoying pain, not severe, more aggravating and uncomfortable in my dx breast. It is sometimes around the incision/lumpectomy site and also along the side of my breast to my armpit. Just wondering if It's just nerve damage or post radiation stuff. Anyone experiencing this months after treatment?

Jackie07 04-02-2013 12:49 AM

Re: Pain months following treatments

Whatever reason that's behind it, you need to report it to your doctor/oncoloy nurse. They might brush it away, or they might know the reason behind/treatment for it.

I had read that some women have painful mammograms. So I brushed aside my extremely paintul mammograms after being told everything was good. When things went really wrong (losing job after job and extremely fatigued), I contacted the original surgeon and she ordered a new mammogram and realized the so-called 'scar tissues' being read by other doctors previously (for 4 years!) were actually recurrence.

Certainly hope your pain is nothing related to recurrence. But the only way to find out is for you to pursue it.

Kellennea 04-02-2013 11:53 AM

I am 2.5 years out from surgery and experience the same pain. My breasts have always been tender, no matter where I was in my cycle. My breast center uses the digital breast tomosynthesis machine now and that makes me feel waaaay more comfortable about results. When first Dx'd my tumor wasnt visable on a regular mammogram machine so I had to have an US to find it. Every six months I complain about the pain near my scar area and armpit and every 6 months I am told that it's scar tissue. Check with your breast surgeon for sure though!

Andrea Barnett Budin 04-02-2013 12:50 PM

I still have pain in my left arm. They removed 21 lymph nodes. Don't think they do that anymore. Sentinel nodes. Anyway, especially when lying down, I get really bad pain throughout my arm. Sometimes I boost it up on a bolster pillow. I rearrange my 3 pillows for my head (hard, medium and super soft). I use a neck U (like the one in the airports) only I use it in bed. With the rounded part beneath my neck. I try various positions and finally get comfortable.

Some pain in armpit still. Tram flap breast (foob for fake boob) has no sensation. I still have pain where my 12 yr old port was. That was my 2nd port. It is scar tissue.

I always report every symptom to my onc. I bring a list, not to forget anything. Not to complain, but to do my job and be responsible and report it.

After Taxotere I would occasionally experience deep muscle pain in my legs and arms YEARS OUT... I know this sounds crazy, I'd begin, and I'd report to my onc. NO, it's not crazy. Many patients tell me of the same experience. It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one. It took yrs for it to stop. That plus my Carnitine, Coenzyme, Alpha Lipoic Acid combo. (See WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS thread for more on that...)

I developed severely dry super dry eyes from Taxotere. Lived clenching a tissue perpetually, even throughout dinner, which makes it really difficult to cut your meat. Friends would question if it was psychological/emotional. No. I have an excellent attitude. Use huge amount of eye drops and manage to not tear all day. Or have that pain like there's ground glass in my eye.

I HAD VERY DENSE BREASTS. SOMETIMES REQUIRING A SECOND READ @ MAMMO. I HAD A CLEAR MAMMO THE AUG BEFORE I WAS DX. I HAVE LOBULAR BC. A RADIOLOGIST'S WORST NIGHTMARE I'M TOLD. IT HIDES. YOU CAN'T SEE IT AND WHEN YOU DO -- IT IS HUGE.

SO I GET THE MAMMO AND A SONO ANNUALLY. HAVE A CHEST/ABDOMEN/PELVIC CT NOW ANNUALLY -- (BEFORE EV 6 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 4 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 3 MNTHS, BEFORE EV 8 WKS.) I LIKE THE DOUBLE CHECK AND I SPACE THE CT MNTHS AWAY FROM THE MAMMO.

I DID SEE MY BREAST SURGEON EV 6 MNTHS, AT HIS SUGGESTION. BUT I'VE STOPPED THAT. Believe it or not, my wonderful breast surgeon passed on. I outlived the breast surgeon! And 1 cancer center! Pretty amazing I must say.

Report everything. Get a sono w/your mammo. That's what I think.

lasarles 04-02-2013 06:14 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I have had a CT scan, whole body bone scan, 2 mammograms and an ultra sound since finishing radiation. I am told all show NED. I also wonder if the tamoxifen plays a roll in this. Screwing with my hormones and no period since last May.

Andrea Barnett Budin 04-02-2013 08:03 PM

So Isarles this is very good news. I hope your pain soon abates. If it does, keep mentioning it to your doc. It's your job to report in w/a list of questions and concerns. It is not a bother, or shouldn't be. He can't read your mind. If he poo poos everything, go for a 2nd and 3rd opinion if you're left feeling your're not connecting with the doc. That happens. Listen to your Inner Voice. Let it guide you.

The pain is less when you know you've passed your tests I think. Embrace the good news. Keep a watchful eye on any messages your body sends to you. And keep reporting in...

With love,
ANDI

IrvineFriend 04-03-2013 07:25 PM

My surgeon told me some pain may be the nerves regenerating and sensation returning.