HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What to do?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59459)

tricia keegan 11-05-2013 05:00 PM

What to do??

I need some advice and who better than my friends here to help, this may be nothing but I gradually became aware yesterday of a slight twitching in my left eye which has been there a couple of weeks now. This isn't apparent to others but I can feel it there, cancer didn't enter my thoughts until I googled last night and found out BC mets are very likely to travel and spread to the eye/brain and although the usual side effect is vision loss, eye twitching can also be a lessor sign:(

Of course you'll all know the feeling of my stomach hitting the floor, a friend told me it can be due to stress which is also likely as I've had a lot to deal with lately, not sure if I should try to schedule an appt with my Onc about this or wait and see if it continue's, I don't want to have to undergo endless tests etc if I'm panicking for no reason, what would you do???

rhondalea 11-05-2013 05:13 PM

Re: What to do??

Eye twitching is pretty common. It drives me crazy when it happens to me, but I'd never think of it as a sign of cancer unless it kept getting worse. If it just persisted...well, been there, done that, hated every minute, but it wasn't cancer. It was just a bleeding nuisance.

Off the top of my head, are you getting enough magnesium?

Bunty 11-05-2013 05:22 PM

Tricia, I also get eye twitching/fluttering feelinig from time to time, usually when I'm tired or stressed. Of course, we often think the worse, but if it's any consolation, I've had a number of brain scans (as part of normal set of tests), and I don't have brain mets.

I agree with Rhonda about it persisting or worsening, but for the time being, maybe some relaxation techniques.

Cheers Marie

JennyB 11-05-2013 05:25 PM

Tricia I have had eye twitching on and off since being a teenager - I really would not have associated it with anything other than tiredness and stress.

Just watch and wait and act if gets worst.

Hugs

Aussie Girl 11-05-2013 06:33 PM

In med school, we were taught not to worry about eye twitching - it is common, usually related to stress and fatigue and often worries patients. Occasionally infections, allergies, dry eyes, eye strain or excess caffeine trigger it. It is rarely due to a significant neural problem.

Your family doctor or ophthalmologist should evaluate you if there are any twitches that spread to other parts of the face, affect vision, or if it is fairly continuous for more than two weeks (that is, not just coming and going).

I have read other peoples' complaints about eye twitching on this website as a possible side effect of Herceptin but fatigue is likely to be the trigger.

Less fatigue, massage and warm compresses to eyes may help.

Cheers Aussie Girl

tricia keegan 11-05-2013 06:51 PM

Thank you so much ladies, I can breathe again on reading your replies. I initially didn't think much of it but when it continued I became worried and decided to post here, fingers crossed I won't need to see my Onc and it'll go away itself:)

Rhonda, will look into the Magnesium too and thank you for that suggestion.

Tricia xx

'lizbeth 11-05-2013 07:26 PM

I agree that it could be something benign causing the twitching.

I've had plenty of eye twitching that comes and goes. It has mostly gone now.

I like the Aussie girl's advice. I go by the 2 week rule for symptoms myself now that I've had cancer - its a good one.

tricia keegan 11-05-2013 07:40 PM

I've always followed that advice too andthank you 'Lizbeth, sometimes you just need confirmation you're doing the right thing!

carlatte7 11-05-2013 08:16 PM

Taxotere made my eye twitch so bad that it changed my vision while it was twitching! Drove me nuts! Onco wasnt concerned, blamed it on taxotere and stress/fatigue and it went away. ;). Ditto the relaxation technique suggestion!

'lizbeth 11-05-2013 08:57 PM

ahhhh . . . the bonding experiences of surviving breast cancer.

I can't wait until surveillance is replaced by those hand held scanning devices like Star Trek. What was that - a tricorder? Got a concern, just pop to the minute clinic for a quick scan.

Wouldn't that save us all a lot of worry!

suzan w 11-05-2013 09:49 PM

I just love this site!!!

michka 11-06-2013 05:07 AM

Hi Tricia! I have eye twitching since on TDM1 and my onc recommended magnesium. I take some for 2 weeks when the eye twitching comes back and it gets better. The eye twitching can be linked to fatigue or lack of magnesium. I feel the twitching but nobody in my family noticed.
I hope it gets better. Do not worry. Michka

Becky 11-06-2013 06:50 AM

My eye twitches too - every now and again. I blame stress and fatigue. I don't think this is serious unless of course things change and there is involvement of the face or cheeks but I think its just that ole eye flutter that happens now and then.

tricia keegan 11-06-2013 03:46 PM

My thanks again to everyone, I'll definately look at taking more magnesium and have my little Grand daughter visiting this weekend from Scotland so intend spending some quiet stress free time with her and hope it goes away of its own accord.:)

europa 11-07-2013 01:00 PM

Hi there! I have had that. It stayed with me for about a month. My onc ordered a brain MRI because I also had head pain. Came out clear. That was a year ago. I'm sure it's nothing. Sounds like stress to me. Maybe try some Kundalini while you're away...it's awesome for stress.

Catherine 11-19-2013 10:05 PM

Hi Tricia,

This is a good time to say hello to you. You are the person that recommend the Her2 site to me 7 years ago....And here we still are...part of the family. Sounds like you already have had lots of good advice about the twitchy eyes. Stress is no fun. If you can not get around to yoga or relaxation exercises, indulge in a good massage. Let someone else massage the stress away.

Thinking of you and sending warm greetings across the ocean!

Lien 11-20-2013 04:59 PM

Hi Tricia,

My eye twitching, which I've had since childhood, is usually stress, fatigue and/or allergy related. It comes and goes, and I've been told it shouldn't worry me, unless I have other symptoms and the twitching is constant, not intermittent.

So if you are still worried, ask your doc the next time you visit. But I wouldn't worry too much.

Know the feeling of stomach hitting the floor. Been there, done that. So far everything turned out to be fine.

The last time I had an MRI & Cat scan of the head, the doc said: I wish all my patient's heads looked like yours on the inside. Now I wonder what she saw... ;-)

Anyway, I bet that a little grandchild-therapy is going to do wonders. My Dad says it is the only thing that keeps his mind off his many ailments. So we send the kids over regularly.

Jacqueline

tricia keegan 11-21-2013 06:00 PM

Thanks so much Europa, Catherine and Jacqueline, you ladies are so right and its gone this week but thank you for reminding me not to stress!!

Catherine I remember you on komen and here 0f course and glad you too are still doing well:)