HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   FDA Approves Biosimilar Trastuzumab for HER+ Breast Cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66683)

Lani 12-04-2017 02:31 AM

FDA Approves Biosimilar Trastuzumab for HER+ Breast Cancer

FDA Approvals
FDA Approves Biosimilar Trastuzumab for HER+ Breast Cancer

December 01, 2017

The first biosimilar product that corresponds to trastuzumab (Herceptin, Genentech/Roche) has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The product, trastuzumab-dkst (Ogivri, Mylan GmbH) is indicated for use in the treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor (HER)–positive (HER+) breast cancer and also HER2+ metastatic stomach cancer (gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma).
This is the second biosimilar approved by the FDA in recent months. Its approval follows the approval in September 2017 of a biosimilar bevacizumab product (corresponding to Avastin [Genentech/Roche]).
Both approvals follow a meeting of the Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee at which experts voted unanimously in favor, having found both biosimilar products to be pure, potent, and safe enough to be recommended for approval.

A large phase 3 clinical trial, known as HERITAGE and conducted in 500 patients with HER2+ breast cancer, found that this biosimilar trastuzumab had "comparable safety and efficacy" when compared to the reference branded product Herceptin; this trial was presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology 2016 annual meeting.
The main difference between the biosimilar and the reference product is price, with hopes that the biosimilars will be about 30% cheaper.
"The FDA continues to grow the number of biosimilar approvals, helping to promote competition that can lower health care costs. This is especially important when it comes to diseases like cancer, that have a high cost burden for patients," said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD. "We're committed to taking new policy steps to advance our biosimilar pathway and promote more competition for biological drugs."
The agency also noted in a press release that its approval of the new biosimilar trastuzumab-dkst "is based on review of evidence that included extensive structural and functional characterization, animal study data, human pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data, clinical immunogenicity data and other clinical safety and effectiveness data that demonstrates Ogivri is biosimilar to Herceptin."
"Ogivri has been approved as a biosimilar, not as an interchangeable product," the agency added.

SoCalGal 12-22-2017 01:30 PM

Re: FDA Approves Biosimilar Trastuzumab for HER+ Breast Cancer

I am so frustrated trying to find out what in Herceptin I am allergic to! I assumed it is the chimeric 1% and want to know if the bio-similiars are fully humanized. Cannot seem to get an easy answer. After 5 years of managing allergic response thru the use of high dose prednisone the day before treatment, along with big dose of benedryl oral and IV on treatment day, I am no longer able to suppress a reaction and had to abort treatment this week. Meantime, I'm trying to figure out next steps since my next step was supposed to be TDM1/Kadcyla. Seeing an immuno-allergist next week. Disappointed that my doctor isn't doing more to trouble shoot. Any ideas on how to get more info on humanized content of bio sims?