HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   OK, I agree, but.... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27496)

CherylS 03-23-2007 08:26 AM

OK, I agree, but....

I agree with all of you that Elizabeth Edwards is acting in a manner to make survivors proud. However, for the past 2 1/2 years, I have seen the same spirit of courage, determination, strength of character, intelligence and source of hope right here on this board. I have seen you put your husbands and children first and fight for them if nothing else. And I have also seen them love you and fight for you with all they have (Al, Mel, John, Tom to name a few). I come right here every time I need to see an example of heros. I also come here with questions, fears and concerns even before I go to my onc.

The only difference between her and you all is the tv cameras.

God Bless,

Joy 03-23-2007 08:44 AM

woke up thinking the same thing

You said it Cheryl. I'm always compassionate for anyone with this disease at any stage and I sadly welcome the new sister in Elizabeth Edwards. But WE are collectively an amazing group of women and men with fantastic support systems and WE are worthy of that acknowledgement from each other, to each other and for each other.

-just sayin'

Joy 03-23-2007 08:46 AM

oh, and just for the record...

i don't want tv cameras.

Joe 03-23-2007 09:01 AM

Amen.......................

You are echoing the discussion that I had with Christine last evening.

Warmest Regards - TO ALL MY HEROS

Joe

Lolly 03-23-2007 10:13 AM

YES, we are all LIVING examples of courage under fire.

I do think that someone in Elizabeth Edward's position can do so much to change the general public's perception of Stage IV disease precisely because she is such a very public figure. Literally millions of people will be watching her and marvelling, and that will translate into the people we interact with in our daily lives perhaps being a bit less taken aback when we share our stories, and more understanding of how it is we can manage to live positively.

People who are new to our aquaintance are almost always somewhat shocked, sort of at a loss for words, etc etc, when we share my condition. Then after we finish with the little "Recurrent Cancer 101" tutorial we've developed, they're ok. I'm glad to be an ambassador, but it'd be encouraging if more people were aware of the changing face of cancer. Less "shock and awe" would be nice!

<3 Lolly

P.S. My comment about less "shock and awe" is not meant in any way to diminish what we do to live our lives day to day. I do, however, think that more awareness of how many of us live with recurrent cancer would serve to channel more dollars into support and research, a cause dear to all of us.
I hope to be helping with fund-raising efforts for a new integrated cancer-care center in our community, and I really feel that donations will be helped along by the understanding that these new centers will be providing supportive care for more and more recurrent cancer survivors, and that's a powerful message that someone like Elizabeth Edwards can help convey.

Andi 03-23-2007 10:43 AM

Amen to all of the above!

RobinP 03-23-2007 11:18 AM

Yes, this is an amazing board of women. What a wonderful place to be for support at her2support or what I often think of as hero support--"herosupport"!

Colleen007 03-23-2007 01:46 PM

Being a Stage 4 person, it saddens me that another woman has joined our club. But I agree with all of the sentiments above - we don't have to look any further than this site for inspiring stories from other people who are LIVING with Stage 4 every day (and who plan to keep on living!!). When ever people ask how I do it with 2 small chlidren at home, I just tell them that you do what you have to do to live to tell about it!

tricia keegan 03-23-2007 02:14 PM

I agree...when I first heard I had her2 positive bc and googled it I was terrified.

That is,until I came here and learned so much from all the brave members of this site the true meaning of being her2 positive...that life can and does go on.
It gave me confidence and made me determined to fight as much as I could to get though the treatments as much as I could. If by chance I do have a recurrance yes I'll be shocked and upset but no longer believe it's a death sentence as I did in my ignorance when first diagnosed.
Thank you all, and to all those who have had a recurrance I applaud and thank you for teaching the rest of us early stager's how to live and enjoy life even as stage iv.
Blessings to all

Mary Jo 03-23-2007 02:22 PM

High 5's you all!

Mary Jo

skeetur 03-23-2007 02:30 PM

Here, Here!

Sandy H 03-23-2007 03:47 PM

I agree, and only the ones involved on this board really understand us. My friends are just blown away that I spend as much time on this board as I do. Its like another family and having been there you all understand me better than my biological ones do! Some of my friends, even though I have explained it to them, think its just a place where I go to play games, and kill time!!!! But than when I share a piece of info they will say where did you ever find that? So I tell them off the her2 board. Than they may say, "oh thats not what I thought it was for. The wonderful thing here is no cameras, no judging, don't need to have money, and we are all here to help each other, regardless of race or color. Praise God for Joe and Christian truly angels sent by him to be there for us. hugs, Sandy

rinaina 03-23-2007 03:48 PM

I'll toast to all of this. Each one of us are amazing!

Karen Weixel 03-23-2007 03:57 PM

You wrote exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for having the courage to do so.

Hugs,
Karen

cafe1084 03-23-2007 06:42 PM

And for the record....

...This group of women, whether they had ever been diagnosed with breast cancer or not, are some KICK A@# role models....I know, not so eloquent but I was really, really feeling it!!!!

You guys are awesome!
Steph C

Jean 03-23-2007 09:57 PM

Yes....Yes....Yes...

We are a unique and extremely special group! (Becky and I had lunch and said this very thing on Tues.)
When ever I am missing in my house I can hear my husband or son
asking, "Where is she?" one or the other will say, "I'll bet she is on the
Her2 board." I come often for comfort and knowledge each day,
a few times a day sometimes. When I am busy busy and get in
late I can't go to bed without checking in and making sure everyone
is doing well. I feel like I know each one and keep you in my prayers
each day. Yes, you all are like a family for me.

Jean

Tricia 03-23-2007 10:49 PM

Good Evening all..... Our local ABC affilate called our local chapter of the american cancer society and wanted to run a story on our local women fighting breast cancer and the american cancer society called me up to do the interview...of course I wanted to talk about it and my background is marketing so I went.... and I felt very honored to represent "our" group... My main focus was based on getting my diagnosis... because they had assured me that it couldnt be breast cancer because I was too young, no family history, and breast cancer didnt hurt.... I took this oppurtunity to tell everyone who was watching.... That cancer has No bounaries, No limits and wasnt prejudice... and that it COULD happen to you... be your own advocate..... you have the right and you owe to yourself to get that 2nd opinion..... it might save your life. I am 31, have NO family history and my first sign and only for awhile was pain in the breast..... if that helps one woman think twice that would make me happy. You all are awesome... and thank you all for the support of "our" group....May God bless you all!!!

Belinda 03-24-2007 04:41 AM

Hi everyone

I am only remotely aware of Elizabeth Edwards - a 2 sec flash at the end of the news a couple of days ago here in Australia - and I feel sad that another woman has to endure this disease. But I agree - you are all having such an impact on the community of people affected by BC and HER2BC, and your imact is immense for the community and cameraderie that comes from your sharing and support - I am glad you are here and this website is here for us all.

Belinda

DianaK 03-24-2007 04:54 AM

My sentiments exactly-I was deeply saddened that she recurred-but that would be for anyone.I also know that I would be very upset if I had cameras in my face while trying to beat back the beast-

I love this board and all the people on it-I don't post much but I am on everyday and it helps me tremendously-Diana

ExpectAMiracle 03-24-2007 07:40 AM

I come to this board every day too since joining earlier this month. I don't have much to contribute yet as a "newbie", but the wisdom of the women on this board helps me so much. I have gotten private messages from several women too and I appreciate that so much.

Great job Tricia on getting the word out about BC not being a respector of age.

God's blessings to all of you!