HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Revlon walk in Los Angeles 5-7-11 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49925)

MCS 05-09-2011 06:00 PM

Revlon walk in Los Angeles 5-7-11

I just had to tell you. I did the Revlon Foundation walk in Los Angels on 5/7/11.

Not a big thing in terms of walking since I try to do that every day.

BUT there were 45,000 people, majority touched by breast cancer, some by ovarian. And everyone carried a bib on the back "survivor..so many years" or " in support of...." or "in memory of.....". It was just a big wave of people walking. And there were huge cardboard signs of those we have lost and for whom they were running, and people from kaiser, ucla, usc hospitals. and on and on

I was so sad for what this illness has brought us. But amazed by the courage and comraderie of all of us there. We did not have to speak, we all knew.

I felt a big pang in my heart. I hope I can do it again.

A doctor from UCLA that participated in the Herceptin research spoke and it was so inspiring.

xoxo

maria

Cure4Cat 05-09-2011 06:32 PM

Re: Revlon walk in Los Angeles 5-7-11

Thanks for sharing! I do the run for the cure here in Ottawa, Canada and the feeling is similar. We have come along way in breast cancer but still have a ways to go.

All the best,
Cat

Gerri 05-09-2011 07:59 PM

I have participated in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women since 2000. I was unable to walk this year because I had knee replacement surgery done on April 11 and I am still in recovery mode. My sister has participated in this walk since the very first one 18 years ago - she has only missed 3 times.

The most interesting thing about the walk is how it came to be. In 1982, a young researcher at UCLA was asked to take on a patient who was battling a recurrence of Hodgkins disease. The patient was Brandon Tartikoff (the head of entertainment at NBC) - this researcher was none other than Dennis Slamon. Dr. Slamon started Brandon Tartikoff on a chemo regimen and after a year of treatment his disease went into remission. To everyone's amazement he lived longer than anyone anticipated until the disease took his life in 1997. Lilly Tartikoff was so grateful to Dennis Slamon for what he had done for her husband she offered to help raise money for his research - the development of Herceptin. Dr. Slamon desperately needed funds in order to advance his research. The story is far more complicated than this, but Lilly Taritkoff approached the head of Revlon and asked that the company join her in raising funds for important cancer research. The rest is history. Each year the Revlon Run/Walk occurs on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend and brings 50,000 people together walking or jogging for a common cause. And each year Lilly Tartikoff introduces 'Denny' Slamon to the crowd. It is an incredible moment when he takes the mike and speaks to the crowd about the latest developments in treatments for breast and ovarian cancer - the crowd goes wild.

When I originally started participating in the walk I did it in memory of those I had lost to breast cancer and in support of the breast cancer survivors in my life. After I was diagnosed with HER2+ breast cancer in 2005, the walk took on a whole new meaning for me. This walk, and the money raised each year on that day had made it possible for me to receive this miracle drug called Herceptin. WOW, what an incredible and humbling experience!

If you would like to learn more about Dr. Slamon and the long road to the development of Herceptin I highly recommend the book: Her 2 The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer by Robert Bazell. The story is an amazing one and will make you appreciate the dedication and commitment that goes into the research and development of drugs. The story was also made into a Lifetime movie "Living Proof".

I was disappointed that I was unable to walk this year, but I will be there next year remembering those we have lost and walking in support of those who are in battle. It is one of my favorite days of the year.

I apologize for the long and rambling post, but I just love this story and felt compelled to share it.

Jackie07 05-10-2011 01:44 PM

Be sure to read the nice summary by Gerri posted above. I have a used copy (ordered through Amazon.com)of Her 2 The Making of Herceptin and really enjoyed reading it.