HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Anyone on 3 year mark of herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32197)

cdbrown428 01-15-2008 06:49 PM

Anyone on 3 year mark of herceptin

Hi,

Trying to find others that have been on herceptin for the 3 year mark. I have a friend who's breast cancer has mets and on this treatment for this period of time. Her doctor has told her she is quite "rare" and she's trying to find others with similar treatment. Thanks for your help.

tousled1 01-15-2008 06:53 PM

There are quite a few women on this site who have been on Herceptin three years. As a matter of fact I think 7 or 8 years is the top right now.

Julie2 01-15-2008 08:20 PM

Is she just on Herceptin or she used chemo on metastatic setting?

Thanks,
Julie

Sandy in Silicon Valley 01-15-2008 08:58 PM

Almost 5 years on Herceptin

Hi, CD,

I started on Herceptin in 2/03, when I was first dx'd with bcmets... since then, through 10 cycles of Taxotere along with it, through 8 cycles - TWICE - of Xeloda with it, and most recently, through 6months of Tykerb with it, I have taken Herceptin continuously, and from the neck down, my mets have been shrunk (in my lymph nodes) or kept very indolent (slow growing - in my lungs).

The biggest threat now, for me, is brain mets - I've just been dx'd with my 4th in under 3 years. The first, large tumor, was removed surgically, the others have been/ will be treated with stereotactic radiosurgery (CyberKnife).

My oncologist told me back in 03, that many HER2neu+++ bcmets patients have only a limited time before their cancer cells acquire resistance to the drug - somewhere around 18mos-2years, I think. I've been one of the lucky ones, as has your friend. We're definitely benefitting from an added lease on life, that we'd likely not have had before Herceptin became available!

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley

StephN 01-15-2008 11:16 PM

Starting 7th year on Herceptin

Hi -
I can hardly believe this myself!
Sandy above is one of several here who are 5 or more years on Herceptin.
Congrats to your friend for her fighting spirit.

First 7 months I had Navelbine and Taxol with the Herceptin to shut down my liver mets. Have had nothing show up since then with exception of 2 brain mets that were treated successfully.

Depending on where your friend is treated, she may well be rare in the experience of her care team. I am also rare for longevity and I am in a major cancer center. However, I understand there are many more "Herceptin Honeys" right behind me here who are doing well.

hutchibk 01-16-2008 01:10 AM

I think Andi has been on for 11 years... lots of longtimers around these parts!

tousled1 01-16-2008 01:54 AM

Here's a link from this site that addresses long term Herceptin use. Hope you find it useful.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...Herceptin+Long

cdbrown428 01-16-2008 06:57 AM

I'm not sure exactly. She is someone new to our support group and I haven't met her yet and will tomorrow night and will find out more. I was forwarded an email from our counselor and was trying to get some insight for her since she does not know about this site, which has been ever so helpful. I plan on getting her connected to the site once we meet and will have her connect with you ladies and so appreciate your responses. Her name is Anne and please watch for her posts. God Bless.

Sheila 01-17-2008 06:33 AM

I started Herceptin 9/03...so over 4 years for me, with and without chemo, but always Herceptin.

Lolly 01-17-2008 05:19 PM

I've been on Herceptin w/wo chemo since 2001. Just stopped H. last month as my onc wanted to add Avastin to my new chemo mix and there's no data yet on interaction between Avastin/Herceptin. So if I end up discontinuing Avastin, I'll be lobbying to go back on Herceptin as I don't consider myself to have developed resistance to it, but I do develop resistance to chemo's after some time and then we swap for a new one. Hope this helps, and I'll be watching for Anne's post.

<3 Lolly

ElaineM 01-21-2008 02:52 PM

Herceptin 7 1/2 years

Hi,
I have been on Herceptin every week for 7 1/2 years and still doing okay.
The stuff works, thank goodness.
Peace,
ElaineM

udith3 01-31-2008 03:58 PM

I am 9 years on... All good now...Thank God Judy

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-05-2008 03:43 PM

In My 10th Yr Of Herceptin!

I'm happy to report -- Nov '07 marked 9 yrs on Herceptin. So I'm now in my 10th yr. Been NED since May '99!

HERCEPTIN has saved my life! Don't think I'd be here w/o it. I live ea day full of gratitude and appreciation. I feel so lucky. It could have been so much worse.

Wishing only good things for all my Sisters...

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Mary Anne in TX 02-06-2008 11:57 AM

You know what I'm wishing, Andi??? I'm wishing for the time when this question draws hundreds of responses of over 3, over 5, over 10 and NED! I dream of that day! ma

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-07-2008 11:11 AM

Keep On Keeping On, Mary Anne... :)

Yes, Mary Anne! That sounds wonderful to me. Had my Vit H tx today. I want LOTS of company in this club!

Of course I have my greedy moments when I dream of H coming in pill form. So I can skip the infusions altogether. http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06 Being on H -- forever could be even tolerable, but I'll take it as I can get it!!! NOT COMPLAINING. I'm just saying...
Andi

Mary Anne in TX 02-07-2008 11:51 AM

Get mine in the morning and am so thankful that I still can! So grateful that my doctor agrees with the necessity to balance the risks based on my pathology. Hey, I'd be in the pill line in a heart beat!!!!! Call me when you hear the news! We could have a Country Wide Celebration and all take the pill(s) at the same time, saying goodbye to "hook ups"! I want to have these conversations forever.......
Much love to each and everyone! ma

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-07-2008 01:07 PM

YES, TEXAS MA! I am sticking w/the program Went this AM. Good to go for another 3 wks...

I'm on the 40 yr plan. With records to be set. Herceptin Honeys unite! And prevail...
Andi

mimiflower07 02-07-2008 01:20 PM

i pray of a day that the sibling of herceptin or herceptin will be safe and come in pill form for all her2 bc. You women are my hero's!!!
suzanne