HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Reconstruction blues (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64826)

fauxgypsy 04-28-2016 05:32 PM

Reconstruction blues

I have reconstructive surgery set up. They have had several weeks to get my insurance in order. Surgery is 9 days away. The person that I have to speak with has been short with me. Gives me different reasons why it has not been done. I need to make hotel reservations and buy a specific bra. She keeps telling that they usually don't in know until a week before hand. I called my insurance company and they said that they were waiting on the doctors office to call them. Today she said that if they didn't know by Monday I should just probably reschedule since I needed to make reservations. Sarcastic.
I am very uncomfortable proceeding with the surgery through them. She told me to call and check back but when I do she is unhelpful if not downright rude. I am calling no more than once a week or every 10 days. I am having an expander put in which means that I will have to be there once a week for a while. Maybe I am being overly sensitive but I am considering finding another surgeon. If you know of a good one in the Jonesboro/ Little Rock, Arkansas area please let me know.

SoCalGal 04-30-2016 10:28 AM

Re: Reconstruction blues

I would call and leave a message asking for the doctor to return my call, if they want to know why, I'd say it's personal, you need to discuss some pre-surgery issues. THEN I'd discuss all this mess with the front office/booking person, with the doctor. If the doc does not straighten it out immediately, reassure you or reacts by being defensive, I'd find a new doctor. (Sometimes these surgeons are so disconnected from their own office staff. If the doc is well-reputed, I'd give him/her a chance to take control and help you).

That's how I would handle it 100%, I hope it helps resolve things for you asap!

Kkmom 04-30-2016 07:50 PM

I concur 100% with SoCAlGal. I work in a doctor's office, no matter what every patient is treated respectfully and kindly. And by no means are you being overly-sensitive. Do not hesitate to seek another physician.

Carol Ann 05-01-2016 08:29 AM

I agree with kkmom and SoCalGal. This is just so wrong on so many levels. Find someone else ... especially since you would be seeing and interacting with that person for awhile if you stay.

Can you call your oncologist's office and ask for a referral/recommendation to a different surgeon? From your signature it looks like its been awhile since you've been there, but once you explain the situation, maybe they could provide a better alternative.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Carol Ann

Donna H 05-02-2016 12:21 PM

You always have to be your own advocate and do what is best for you. If you like the doctor but not the office staff, then I would try talking to the doctor directly and see how that goes. As if having cancer isnt hard enough.....