HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Reassurance (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58193)

BonnieR 05-23-2013 06:35 PM

Reassurance

I have been having some "pulling" sensations and occasionally sharp pain across my chest and under armpit on one side. Yesterday I had my "mammogram" which is actually auxiliary imaging/squishing of my remaining tissue since, of course, I have no breasts to examine. The radiation oncologist decided also to do an ultrasound based on my symptoms. All was normal! She determined that I am experiencing scar tissue pulling and tightening and recommends some PT to loosen it up. I guess my point is, we can continue to have lingering issues long after surgery (mine was 07) and that new symptoms need not mean something dire
Keep the faith

Bunty 05-23-2013 06:53 PM

Re: Reassurance

That is such a good reminder to us all Bonnie, and very glad that all is well!
Cheers Marie

Bill 05-23-2013 07:01 PM

Hi there, Bonnie! Thanks for the words of reassurance. You have brought up a very good point regarding our aches and pains and often unfounded fears. As you know, I know everything, but as soon as I feel a twinge I jump on WebMD and the next thing you know, I'm sitting on my couch (ever notice that's the one thing all losers and slackers have is a couch? Maybe I should buy a standing desk or something else to fret at,maybe some really cool antique with a deep rich color, anyhow...) wringing my hands and whining about how doomed I am. Usually it's less dramatic than what I've imagined it to be. Thanks for being here, Bonnie, and thanks for being you. And thanks for your calming spirit. Love, Bill

BonnieR 05-23-2013 09:15 PM

Bill, I would suggest an old fashioned fainting couch for you if you weren't such a GUY! It's always good to hear from you. I'm glad you have stuck around

Wait for it......keep the faith!

'lizbeth 05-23-2013 09:15 PM

OMG a Bill bomb, still as funny as ever.

Bonnie - I'm glad it is just symptoms and not anything dire.

ammebarb 05-24-2013 07:00 AM

Thank goodness it is scarring! Hope there is help for it with some PT, Bonnie. Great point in your message.....we certainly can experience after effects and are even entitled to all the same non cancer related problems as anyone else. Just need to be vigilant about checking things out. I'm glad your most recent is NOT cancer related.

Barb A.

karen z 05-24-2013 07:19 AM

Thank you for your calming post.

NEDenise 05-24-2013 11:31 AM

Bonnie,
So glad it all worked out! You are a pillar of strength around here...and a source of hope! Keep going strong my friend!

Bill - before BC...Always looking for the laugh...exaggerating...etc...I used to joke that my frequent headaches were probably from a brain tumor...YIKES! that's just not funny anymore!! :)

Denise

Jackie07 05-24-2013 02:59 PM

Well, Denise, "It's not a brain tumor!" has been the 'motto' between me and my husband since 1990 - especially when I was receiving yet another notice to pack my stuff ...

Thanks, Bonnie, for sharing your experience. I've been having a lot of tightening irritations in the back and right underarm area. The way I reassure myself - besides the regular visits to my doctors - is that everything else has been fine, especially my skin (lips not peeling, face not breaking out, no sign of athlete foot) and my weight/appetite. But sometimes it's hard. The detection of the benign hepatic hemangiomas several years ago was really scary!

LeahM 05-24-2013 06:55 PM

Ugh Bonnie, I was hoping that as time passes this would no longer be an issue. Glad you got checked and super glad you are ok.
Jackie07 you have me confused and I googled athletes foot and cancer. Am I missing a connection here?
Faith being kept,
Leah

Jackie07 05-25-2013 02:40 AM

O - sorry to get you confused, Leah.

I don't think Athlete foot is related to cancer. But it's (probably) related to the iron deficiency anemia I used to have. Because of the (life-long) brain tumor, my sleep quality had always been poor and tended to have heavy periods which led to the anemia. It then led to all sorts of problems - prone to infection/contracting colds... etc.

None of my doctors had ever put the 2 and 2 together. They only treated the symptoms on the surface. Low on iron? Take Iron pills! Athlete foot? Use the (particular type of) anti-fungal cream! The best decision I've made (which was made completely by myself - thanks to what I've learned from this Board) was to have the genetic testing done and then (when 2nd Brother was also diagnosed with an HNPCC-related cancer after Mother and me) the prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy!