HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Caregivers Corner (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Is it common side effect? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45075)

pibikay 05-08-2010 04:31 AM

Is it common side effect?

Hello
I am posting this thread as I am worried.Ny wife hed her 3rd Chemo with taxotrene along with her second dose of herecptin on 27th April On the 1st May she walked a little more than usual and she seemed very cheerfull.But on the 6th she had 101 temp.I called up the onc.He orderd a CBC and started her on antibiotic.THE wbc count showed a drop of WBC to 1400.The onc said nothing to worrt.Thus morning she has 102 twmp and later profuse sweating.But the Onc saif it is a part of the side effects Is it so

1rarebird 05-08-2010 06:19 AM

Re: Is it common side effect?

pibikay I believe that drop in the white blood cell count is very common for patients receiving chemotherapy. It was so in my case and my doctor warned me that I needed to do everything reasonable to avoid contacting pathogens. That included carefully watching the cleanliness of the food I ate and avoiding contact with people who were sick or had been in contact with sick people. It sounds like your wife is getting good care with antibiotic administration. Of course a sudden dramatic rise in temperature would indicate a condition that likely requires more aggressive care such as given in hospital. My advice would be to monitor the temperature frequently and carefully, keep your wife well hydrated with clean water, follow the instructions carefully for taking the antibiotics, and of course stay in contact with your doctor.

Hoping the best for you and your wife--

bird

pibikay 05-08-2010 07:41 AM

Dear rare bird
Thank You
I am monitoring her tempreture and she is getting irritated with me
PBK

WolverineFan 05-08-2010 12:46 PM

Pibikay,

You might ask your wife's onc about Neulasta. Its a shot used to keep the wbc in normal range while on chemo. Its expensive, and I think can be hard to approve through insurance, but it works like a charm. My wbc never dropped out of normal range. I was approved because of having two small kids, and I think they were afraid of them bringing something home from school. As 1rarebird suggested, I would monitor the temperature and keep her well hydrated, and would most definitely keep in touch with her onc.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

pibikay 05-09-2010 12:56 AM

Thanks All.The Doc confirmed that we have to worry only if the count is <1000
PBK

PatriceH 05-09-2010 09:25 AM

Although I did "well" with my chemo treatments. There was one where I could not stop trembling - the chills - but boy was I sweatting. They got me in the next morning. Don't look at anything as little...They are there to make sure she gets through this thing. Hopefully your care has a24-hour number. Use it. You are NOT foolish for asking for help. I'm sure they've heard all the questions before and if they haven't then teach them something. YOU CAN Do it too! Caretakers have a rough ride on this journey too. Thank you for all you do!

pibikay 05-10-2010 08:00 AM

Hi All
Here in Chennai (Madras) the temp is >103F
I am keeping my wife in an Air condirioned room maintaining 27 C
When she shivers I shut down the AC and when she starts sweating I switch the AC on
I have the Hospitals emergency number and the mobile No of the Onc
Thanks
PBK

ymryan 05-10-2010 08:32 AM

You sound like a wonderful caregiver!! I have had 3 infections (2 were caused by other chemo side effects and one was a sinus infection) since starting chemotherapy and one of my first symptoms every time was a fever. My oncologist requires me to call anytime as soon as the temperature reaches above 100.4. At that point he decides whether to see me (based on my other symptoms) but he has always prescribed an antibiotic for a fever that is not going away on its own within a short period of time. The antibiotics are usually k-pacs that are only taken for 5 days which allow me to get over my infections very quickly and avoid delaying chemo treatments. I am now receiving Neulasta to keep my white blood count up and I have not had a fever/infection since receiving that medicine (it's keeping my white count up within a normal or near normal range).

I wouldn't hesitate to call the oncologist on his/her mobile #. They expect the calls. :)

Take care and hang in there! Keep us posted.

vlcarr 05-10-2010 02:09 PM

My doctor wants to know anytime the temp gets above 100.5. I had this problem during chemo where I would run a fever. They discovered the staples that were supposed to dissolve in my scar did not. So, it created a black line all the way across the scar. Once they took those out it seemed to get better.

However, I would still run a fever from time to time during chemo and we never really found an answer.

If my temp goes above 100.5 and the doctor's office is closed I am directed to go to the ER.

You are doing a great job!