HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   When organic is not available? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44181)

Shobha 03-12-2010 09:21 AM

When organic is not available?

Hi,

I buy organic whenever possible but some of vegetables we eat, for example, bitter melon, asparagus, baby bok choy, etc. is not always available as organic.

In such situations, is there a preferred way to wash these vegetables to get rid of the pesticides?
I saw a organic wash at the store today and that got me thinking...

Please let me know your thoughts...

-shobha

Melody 03-19-2010 03:32 PM

Re: When organic is not available?

I was told years ago by an alternative Dr. to wash all veggies/fruit in the following manner:

Fill a spray bottle with 3% peroxide and another spray bottle with plain vinegar.

Spray veggies with both and then rinse well in cold water.

Be sure to let air dry completely before putting in fridge.

I have been doing this ever since.

Shobha 03-22-2010 08:47 AM

Thanks so much, Melody! I will do the same!

My kids love Okra but it is never available organic where I live. Also this vegetable is really laden with pesticides, so I may have to give up on this one...but I will wash tomatoes, egg plants etc. using your technique.

-shobha

Rich66 04-07-2010 12:09 AM

How much info is really out there on organic vs generic food and cancer recurrence or metastatic survival? It strikes me as more of a potential birgame changer once diagnosed.

suzan w 04-07-2010 01:06 PM

great question, Rich! I have asked many doctors and never really had a good answer. I stay away from anything that might have been genetically modified...try to eat organic whenever possible. because we travel a lot, this is a challenge. Hope to see some good responses to your question!!

ElaineM 04-07-2010 03:55 PM

I knew about the vinegar, but I didn't know about the peroxide.
If you can't get organic I think trying to buy as much as possible from local sources is a good idea. Food is fresher when it doesn't have to spend alot of time traveling.

Karen Wheel 04-28-2010 06:37 AM

Beating Cancer with Nutrition - (book I am studying now!) but ... he says that there isn't that much difference (really!) from organic to non-organic - and sometimes the price tag on the organic veg and fruits is so high it puts it out of normal reach. He suggests you eat as much fresh (raw!) veg and fruit as you can and just soak it in water and vinegar for like 15 minutes (think thats what he said? But I do it for at least 15) before rinsing and storing in the fridge. I make my day of bringing home veg from the store into a cleaning, washing and then re-placing in the fridge ready for use ... it seems to work well.

The important thing is to wash it good - and don't buy that pre-packaged crap salad! :-) If you do --- wash it too!

:-) I have a salad spinner that works well for spinach and greens and also radish leaves which I have just found are not bad sautéed! I hate to throw away something they have charged me for "by the kilo" here in Italy. ;-)

Karen

Shobha 04-28-2010 08:58 AM

Thanks Karen! I am of the same opinion, why waste all the yummy, healthy leaves! I have started eating mostly raw vegetables and the great part is that my kids are also picking up the good nutritional habits.

hugs,
shobha