HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Checking In (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60952)

Kim in CA 05-09-2014 11:12 AM

Checking In

Hello to all my Her2 family.

Sorry to have been away for so long, but the last year has been a tough one. Between loosing my sister less than 2 years after she was diagnosed with brain cancer, selling our home of the last 24 years, making a major move to the sierra foothills of Northern CA, and changing oncologists not once, but twice, all the while battling the recurrence of BC to my liver.

I'm finally getting my head above water and felt the need to check in with all of you, since you have always been there for me, during my Her2 odyssey now in it's 18th year!

The good news is I'm currently stable and maintaining on Herceptin and Perjeta and Femara. I'm slowly getting my energy back, and have actually started riding my horse again. As I've mentioned in the past, it's always been my therapy, and boy have I missed it. The last course of Taxo-tears really did a number on me, and I didn't have the confidence to get on my horse, because of extreme neuropathy in my hands and feet, and just feeling generally "off balance".

I have been lurking a bit, and am deeply saddened by the loss of more of our dear sisters. I'm hoping and praying that the CD47 trials get underway soon, and that maybe, just maybe, it will be the magic bullet we've all been waiting for.

Love to all,
Kim (still in CA)

StephN 05-09-2014 11:26 AM

Re: Checking In

Kim!
You have been on my mind, and I am so happy to see an update that is positive in so many ways. Resettling when you are under treatment is so very hard!

Getting back on your horse is such a big step in regaining strength and blance. Your horse will take care of you!

All best wishes for continued good reports from your new medical team, as well as your life in general!

Jackie07 05-09-2014 06:46 PM

Thanks for the lovely post, Kim. It's wonderful that you are riding the horse again.

Do post again soon ...

suzan w 05-09-2014 07:15 PM

I like the double meaning of getting back up on that horse!!! Good to hear from you!!!

yanyan 05-09-2014 10:14 PM

So happy to hear from you Kim and know that you are doing well !

Mary Anne in TX 05-10-2014 09:13 AM

Hi Kim!
So good to hear your good news. I think 4 legged critters are good therapy for everything! So glad you have yours back. Take care and happy riding.

Adriana Mangus 05-10-2014 01:31 PM

Hi Kim,

Glad to see you are back on the site and doing well.

Yes, you have been missed but we understand sometimes things
just happen in our lives and must take care of ourselves first, in
order to help others.

You are almost as "oldie" as me as far as the time of DX, it makes
me so especial to see other sisters who have been on this ride for
as long as I have and still are going strong.

I'm with you on the CD47, this trial can't come fast enough for us, if
proven a winner after the clinical trials are completed, this potentially could be
the magic bullet we all have been waiting for. I'm praying for it
fast human trial to commence.

Stephanie got it right, your horse will save you. Glad you are able to
ride again.

Love,

Adriana

KDR 05-10-2014 04:29 PM

Hi, Kim
So nice to see you!
I didn't know you lost your sister...I am so sorry...
It's nice to feel a bit of relieved strength in your post. I, too, am looking for CD47 to be the winner. Dr. Weissman has said it (the first to be cured) will first happen in England. (Oxford). Less red tape there.
Now just hoping to hang in there for it.
Lots of love your way
Karen

Paty 05-10-2014 10:44 PM

Glad to hear from you again Kim! Hope things get easier for you on the way ahead. God Bless you.

michka 05-11-2014 12:57 AM

Hello Kim! Thank you for checking in. You went through a lot this past year. I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. The good news is that you are able to ride your horse again. It is so important. I am very happy that the combo is keeping you stable and I hope you will feel better and better. Michka

Kim in CA 05-11-2014 11:10 AM

Thanks girls for your kind replies.

Even though the last year has been a hard (one I would not want to relive) I am even more determined to make everyday count.

Deciding to move was a huge decision for us, as we had spent years making our home ( a fixer upper) into a very comfortable and functional horse property. The only problem was we were too far away from our grandkids and we didn't like the weather. I told my hubby that however many years I had left on this earth, I didn't want to spend it being cold! After a couple years researching locations and properties online, we decided to take the leap. We listed our house and it sold the first week.

We bought another fixer upper on 30 acres, and have put a manufactured home on the opposite end of the property for our daughter and her family. Now we get to see the grandkids whenever we want, and we are working to make our little "family farm" a reality. The bonus is I get to share my horses with them, and the joys of country living, that they would not have otherwise known. The weather here is awesome and we can actually grow all kinds of vegetables that just never thrived where we lived before. This place is going to be a lot of work, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives, and so far I'm in heaven!

Kim

Carol Ann 05-11-2014 11:13 AM

Hi Kim, your new home sounds beautiful, and worth all the stress you had to go through to make it happen, after an already extremely stressful time. I am so sorry about your sister.

Happy Mother's Day!!

Carol Ann

Hopeful 05-12-2014 07:04 AM

Kim, I have been thinking of you and hoping you would post. I am sorry for the loss of your sister. Wishing you all the best in your new home. Please check back, and let us know how you are doing.

Hopeful

mamacze 05-26-2014 07:38 PM

Hi Kim - I have been thinking of you and am so glad I stumbled upon your post tonight!
I am horrified to hear what you have had to go through with your sister. You must still feel shaken and sad to think about her struggle.
It sounds like moving was, at the end of the day, the right thing to do for you and for your family. I can think of fewer joys greater than family and grandchildren.
I spent a few minutes tonight looking back to 2004 (!!) at my early tentative posts on this web sight and see you were one of my earliest mentors - so thank you for that - albeit 10 years later!
And thank you for your updates - few and far between is good - it means you are enjoying life.
XOXO

Pray 05-28-2014 12:55 AM

How wonderful for you and your family �� so sorry about the loss of your sister. Gods blessings to you and yours��

Mtngrl 05-28-2014 06:59 AM

Dear Kim,

Thank you so much for the update.

One really great thing about it is the example you set of getting on wth life and living it to the fullest.

I've always loved horses, but haven't been on one in years. It would be scary to ride with numb fingers and toes. Good for you--I'm glad you have that in your life again.

I'm glad you're here.